Velocity Reviews

-   -   domain name registratioin (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576603-domain-name-registratioin.html)

jimbo 10-02-2005 09:54 AM

domain name registratioin

Where is the cheapest reliable registrar to renew my domain name at?
I will renew it for 10 years for preference.
Thanks

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-02-2005 09:12 PM

Re: domain name registratioin

jimbo wrote:
> Where is the cheapest reliable registrar to renew my domain name at?
> I will renew it for 10 years for preference.

Just my personal opinion, but 10 years seems a tad stupid... I mean in
the last 10 years, domain registration prices have gone to pretty much
10% of what they were.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Steve Marshall 10-03-2005 02:03 AM

"jimbo" <jimbonot@xtra.com.nz> wrote:

>Where is the cheapest reliable registrar to renew my domain name at?
>I will renew it for 10 years for preference.

I need more information. What's the TLD, and are you planning to host
the domain with the registrar?

Not Dave 10-03-2005 02:12 AM

Re: domain name registratioin

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 22:54:16 +1300, "jimbo" <jimbonot@xtra.com.nz>
growled these words from under a rock:

>Where is the cheapest reliable registrar to renew my domain name at?
>I will renew it for 10 years for preference.
>Thanks

www.discountdomains.co.nz

Nice and simple, cheap, and good support when you need it.

This is assuming you have an idea of what you are doing, and don't
need handholding.

I don't know why you would register it for 10 years - a lot can change
in that time (including either the way they are handled substantially
changing, or even a registrar closing their doors).

I would have thought 2 years max.

Rob 10-03-2005 04:58 AM

"Not Dave" <not@this.url> wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 22:54:16 +1300, "jimbo" <jimbonot@xtra.com.nz>
> growled these words from under a rock:
>
> >Where is the cheapest reliable registrar to renew my domain name at?
> >I will renew it for 10 years for preference.
> >Thanks
> >

> www.discountdomains.co.nz
>
> Nice and simple, cheap, and good support when you need it.
>
> This is assuming you have an idea of what you are doing, and don't
> need handholding.
>
> I don't know why you would register it for 10 years - a lot can change
> in that time (including either the way they are handled substantially
> changing, or even a registrar closing their doors).
>
> I would have thought 2 years max.

(including either the way they are handled substantially changing, or even a
registrar closing their doors).

This isn't a problem, as the registrar has to pay Internet NZ and register
it for 10 years with them, so that credit will be carried across even if the
registrar goes out of business.

PJB 10-04-2005 09:29 PM

Re: domain name registratioin

I wouldn't trust them. They don't even offer a street address to contact
them How do we know they are in NZ. The phone number could redirect to
anywhere in the world.

Not Dave 10-04-2005 10:35 PM

Re: domain name registratioin

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:29:45 +1300, "PJB" <peter@byweb.co.nz> growled
these words from under a rock:

>"Rob" <dontspamme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Not Dave" <not@this.url> wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 22:54:16 +1300, "jimbo" <jimbonot@xtra.com.nz>
>>> growled these words from under a rock:

>>> www.discountdomains.co.nz
>>>
>>> Nice and simple, cheap, and good support when you need it.
>>>
>>> This is assuming you have an idea of what you are doing, and don't
>>> need handholding.
>>>

>I wouldn't trust them. They don't even offer a street address to contact
>them How do we know they are in NZ. The phone number could redirect to
>anywhere in the world.

1. Please don't top-post.

2. Who don't you trust? Discount Domains? They're a division of
Digiweb, and very trustworthy.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-04-2005 10:41 PM

Not Dave wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:29:45 +1300, "PJB" <peter@byweb.co.nz> growled
> these words from under a rock:

>>I wouldn't trust them. They don't even offer a street address to contact
>>them How do we know they are in NZ. The phone number could redirect to
>>anywhere in the world.

> 2. Who don't you trust? Discount Domains? They're a division of
> Digiweb, and very trustworthy.

ahem... note the (unmunged for god sake!!!) posting email addy... they
do hosting... probably just a friendly dig at the competition.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Not Dave 10-05-2005 12:03 AM

Re: domain name registratioin

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:41:52 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<davenetnz@gmail.com> growled these words from under a rock:

>Not Dave wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:29:45 +1300, "PJB" <peter@byweb.co.nz> growled
>> these words from under a rock:

>>>I wouldn't trust them. They don't even offer a street address to contact
>>>them How do we know they are in NZ. The phone number could redirect to
>>>anywhere in the world.

>> 2. Who don't you trust? Discount Domains? They're a division of
>> Digiweb, and very trustworthy.

>ahem... note the (unmunged for god sake!!!) posting email addy... they
>do hosting... probably just a friendly dig at the competition.

Hmm, or not so friendly stab...

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-05-2005 12:35 AM

Not Dave wrote:

>>>2. Who don't you trust? Discount Domains? They're a division of
>>>Digiweb, and very trustworthy.

>>ahem... note the (unmunged for god sake!!!) posting email addy... they
>>do hosting... probably just a friendly dig at the competition.

> Hmm, or not so friendly stab...

don't get me wrong... it may well be true, but a big old grain of salt
needs to be taken from a competitors word(see MS comments on Linux, and
Linux companies words on MS)

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.