Velocity Reviews

-   -   HD Format Query (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576590-hd-format-query.html)

KiwiBrian 10-01-2005 04:22 AM

HD Format Query

I have just partitioned and formatted the two Hard Drives on a new Desktop
PC.
I have finished up with Drive 0 having my desired two partitions, C and D.
Both showing as 'Primary Partitions'.
OK so far.
My second HD has three partions as intended, but I note that E is a Primary
Partition, while F and G are shown in Disk Management as Logical Drives.
What is the significance of them being Logical Drives, and is this a cause
for concern?
I thought that I had created all three in the same manner, using Partition
Magic, so I am confused as to how and why it happpened, and the possible
implications.
TIA
Brian Tozer

Steve Marshall 10-01-2005 05:09 AM

Re: HD Format Query

"KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>I have just partitioned and formatted the two Hard Drives on a new Desktop
>PC.
>I have finished up with Drive 0 having my desired two partitions, C and D.
>Both showing as 'Primary Partitions'.
>OK so far.
>My second HD has three partions as intended, but I note that E is a Primary
>Partition, while F and G are shown in Disk Management as Logical Drives.
>What is the significance of them being Logical Drives, and is this a cause
>for concern?

Are you quite certain that C and D are on drive 0? It's quite possible
that C and E are on drive 0, and D, F and G are on the second drive.

Gordon 10-01-2005 05:57 AM

Re: HD Format Query

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 16:22:35 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

> I have just partitioned and formatted the two Hard Drives on a new Desktop
> PC.
> I have finished up with Drive 0 having my desired two partitions, C and D.
> Both showing as 'Primary Partitions'.
> OK so far.
> My second HD has three partions as intended, but I note that E is a Primary
> Partition, while F and G are shown in Disk Management as Logical Drives.
> What is the significance of them being Logical Drives, and is this a cause
> for concern?

My money is on Just Get Over It, (tm) Otago Universtity ad., your concern
ie. Your machine will know what is where and all will be fine. Try it out,
copy a few files from and hether and see if all is as the *GUI* says it is.

> I thought that I had created all three in the same manner, using Partition
> Magic, so I am confused as to how and why it happpened, and the possible
> implications.

A *phyical* HD may have *up to* 4 primary partitions. These come first,
before any logical drives.

I think I am right in saying that each *phyiscal* HD requres at least on
primary paritition.

Now we have Dr Spock's (of StarTrek not childcare) partitions and drives,
the logical ones. ;-) These exist in the logical partition. Have as many
as you need.

To my way of thinking one primary partition and rest logical
space/partitions/drives. For in many ways this is logical ;_)

Yes, who thought this idea of primary and logical partitions and drives
should be shot by history. ;-)

Peter 10-01-2005 06:06 AM

Re: HD Format Query

Gordon wrote:
> Yes, who thought this idea of primary and logical partitions and drives
> should be shot by history. ;-)

It is ancient history.
Initially you could only have 4 partitions on a disk. In the 1980s, logical
partitions were introduced (DOS 3 ?), where one primary partition could
contain a number of logical partitions.
Most modern OS can handle both primary and logical partitions (except some
of the older Windos versions need to have their c: drive on the first
primary partition IIRC).

HTH

Peter

Enkidu 10-01-2005 06:29 AM

Re: HD Format Query

Peter wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> Yes, who thought this idea of primary and logical partitions
>> and drives should be shot by history. ;-)

> It is ancient history.
> Initially you could only have 4 partitions on a disk. In the
> 1980s, logical partitions were introduced (DOS 3 ?), where
> one primary partition could contain a number of logical

partitions.

> Most modern OS can handle both primary and logical partitions
> (except some of the older Windos versions need to have their
> c: drive on the first primary partition IIRC).

In the usual terminology, the 'primary' partition that holds
logical partitions is more correctly an 'extended' partition.

Cheers,

Cliff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-01-2005 08:20 AM

Re: HD Format Query

In article <pan.2005.10.01.05.57.02.262400@yahoo.com>,
Gordon <flash130@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I think I am right in saying that each *phyiscal* HD requres at least on
>primary paritition.

Not necessarily. On many *nix systems, you can format and mount an
entire disk as a single volume without partitioning it.

On Linux, for example, if a disk is named "hda", then its partitions, if
any, will be named "hda1", "hda2" etc. But you can just forget the
partitions and format and mount the whole thing as "hda", which means
there is no partition table, no MBR--nothing on the disk but the one
filesystem.

Brendan 10-01-2005 08:29 AM

Re: HD Format Query

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 16:22:35 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

> I have just partitioned and formatted the two Hard Drives on a new Desktop
> PC.
> I have finished up with Drive 0 having my desired two partitions, C and D.
> Both showing as 'Primary Partitions'.
> OK so far.
> My second HD has three partions as intended, but I note that E is a Primary
> Partition, while F and G are shown in Disk Management as Logical Drives.
> What is the significance of them being Logical Drives, and is this a cause
> for concern?
> I thought that I had created all three in the same manner, using Partition
> Magic, so I am confused as to how and why it happpened, and the possible
> implications.
> TIA
> Brian Tozer

OS please Brian.

NTFS capable os's do not suffer the same limitations as FAT based systems.
This includes drive lettering schemes.

--

.... Brendan

#328464 +(4373)- [X]

SparTacus (rulimbaww@3B942731.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net) has joined #santcuary
*SparTacus is now known as Betty_Guns
wacko Jacko (lbeedy@1C57684.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net) has joined #santcuary
<wacko_Jacko>ok spartacus just came n here i know it. which one of you is
that loser?
<hunney> I am spartacus
<ji_pper>no im spartacus
<Betty_Guns>I am spartacus
<mistr andersn>Ióm spartacus
<wacko_Jacko>ur all freaks thats what u r

Note: All my comments are copyright 1/10/2005 8:26:57 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-01-2005 08:50 AM

Re: HD Format Query

In article <m5kzc3h1afli.dlg@brendan.co.nz>,
Brendan <corum.misc@orcon.net.nzz> wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 16:22:35 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:
>
>> I have just partitioned and formatted the two Hard Drives on a new Desktop
>> PC.
>> I have finished up with Drive 0 having my desired two partitions, C and D.
>> Both showing as 'Primary Partitions'.
>> OK so far.
>> My second HD has three partions as intended, but I note that E is a Primary
>> Partition, while F and G are shown in Disk Management as Logical Drives.
>> What is the significance of them being Logical Drives, and is this a cause
>> for concern?
>> I thought that I had created all three in the same manner, using Partition
>> Magic, so I am confused as to how and why it happpened, and the possible
>> implications.
>> TIA
>> Brian Tozer

>OS please Brian.
>
>NTFS capable os's do not suffer the same limitations as FAT based systems.
>This includes drive lettering schemes.

By "os's" you are referring to "versions of Windows"? Please be specific
to avoid having your comments misconstrued as somehow referring to
actual OSes in general.

As for whether Windows does or does not have limitations when it comes
to the need for drive lettering, I'm still trying to get to the bottom
of this <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/5eebf0aa701c68a3>.

Brendan 10-01-2005 09:16 AM

Re: HD Format Query

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:50:27 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>OS please Brian.
>>
>>NTFS capable os's do not suffer the same limitations as FAT based systems.
>>This includes drive lettering schemes.

> By "os's" you are referring to "versions of Windows"?

No.

>Please be specific
> to avoid having your comments misconstrued as somehow referring to
> actual OSes in general.

No, if it was linux or something all the linux guys would jump in.

> As for whether Windows does or does not have limitations when it comes
> to the need for drive lettering, I'm still trying to get to the bottom
> of this <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/5eebf0aa701c68a3>.

That has nothing to do with limitations. It's to do with partitions and
filesystem extensions.

For example, if you had more than 27 drives, you could add the extras as
directories off an existing drive. E.g. c:\stuff\ is redirected to an extra
partition.

Under NTFS.

Also, hard links allow a similar thing but with more flexibility.

Additionally, NTFS partitions can be re-lettered arbitrarily - except the
system drive (unless at install time).

--

.... Brendan

#111338 +(8672)- [X]

<JonJonB> Purely in the interests of science, I have replaced the word
"wand" with "wang" in the first Harry Potter Book
<JonJonB> Let's see the results...

<JonJonB> "Why aren't you supposed to do magic?" asked Harry.
<JonJonB> "Oh, well -- I was at Hogwarts meself but I -- er -- got
expelled, ter tell yeh the truth. In me third year. They snapped me wang in
half an' everything

<JonJonB> A magic wang... this was what Harry had been really looking
forward to.

<JonJonB> "Yes, yes. I thought I'd be seeing you soon. Harry Potter." It
wasn't a question. "You have your mother's eyes. It seems only yesterday
she was in here herself, buying her first wang. Ten and a quarter inches
long, swishy, made of willow. Nice wang for charm work."
<JonJonB> "Your father, on the other hand, favored a mahogany wang. Eleven
inches. "

<JonJonB> Harry took the wang. He felt a sudden warmth in his fingers. He
raised the wang above his head, brought it swishing down through the dusty
air and a stream of red and gold sparks shot from the end like a firework,
throwing dancing spots of light on to the walls

<JonJonB> "Oh, move over," Hermione snarled. She grabbed Harry's wang,
tapped the lock, and whispered, 'Alohomora!"

<JonJonB> The troll couldn't feel Harry hanging there, but even a troll
will notice if you stick a long bit of wood up its nose, and Harry's wang
had still been in his hand when he'd jumped - it had gone straight up one
of the troll's nostrils.

<JonJonB> He bent down and pulled his wang out of the troll's nose. It was
covered in what looked like lumpy gray glue.

<JonJonB> He ran onto the field as you fell, waved his wang, and you sort
of slowed down before you hit the ground. Then he whirled his wang at the
dementors. Shot silver stuff at them.

<JonJonB> Ok
<JonJonB> I have found, definitive proof
<JonJonB> that J.K Rowling is a dirty DIRTY woman, making a fool of us all
<JonJonB> "Yes," Harry said, gripping his wang very tightly, and moving
into the middle of the deserted classroom. He tried to keep his mind on
flying, but something else kept intruding.... Any second now, he might hear
his mother again... but he shouldn't think that, or he would hear her
again, and he didn't want to... or did he?
<melusine > O_______O
<JonJonB> Something silver-white, something enormous, erupted from the end
of his wang

<JonJonJonB> Then, with a sigh, he raised his wang and prodded the silvery
substance with its tip.

<JonJonJonB> 'Get - off - me!' Harry gasped. For a few seconds they
struggled, Harry pulling at his uncles sausage-like fingers with his left
hand, his right maintaining a firm grip on his raised wang.

Note: All my comments are copyright 1/10/2005 9:07:41 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

KiwiBrian 10-01-2005 11:00 AM

Re: HD Format Query

"Brendan" <corum.misc@orcon.net.nzz> wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 16:22:35 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:
>
>> I have just partitioned and formatted the two Hard Drives on a new
>> Desktop
>> PC.
>> I have finished up with Drive 0 having my desired two partitions, C and
>> D.
>> Both showing as 'Primary Partitions'.
>> OK so far.
>> My second HD has three partions as intended, but I note that E is a
>> Primary
>> Partition, while F and G are shown in Disk Management as Logical Drives.
>> What is the significance of them being Logical Drives, and is this a
>> cause
>> for concern?
>> I thought that I had created all three in the same manner, using
>> Partition
>> Magic, so I am confused as to how and why it happpened, and the possible
>> implications.
>> TIA
>> Brian Tozer

> OS please Brian.
>
> NTFS capable os's do not suffer the same limitations as FAT based systems.
> This includes drive lettering schemes.

Oops. I should have stated that it is XP SP2.
Brian