Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD HD recorders - Panasonic - Sony - Pioneer. Which? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576587-dvd-hd-recorders-panasonic-sony-pioneer-which.html)

Canon Paora Tikitiki 10-01-2005 01:18 AM

DVD HD recorders - Panasonic - Sony - Pioneer. Which?

Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.

I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
impatient.

Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
are just as impressive - maybe more so?

Do any of them cope with cheap media?

Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

XP 10-01-2005 01:29 AM

Re: DVD HD recorders - Panasonic - Sony - Pioneer. Which?

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, paora@gayville.com (Canon Paora Tikitiki)
wrote:

>Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
>most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
>
>I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
>they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
>impatient.
>
>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
>claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
>are just as impressive - maybe more so?
>
>Do any of them cope with cheap media?
>
>Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

Just wait for Blue Ray, all these one are now Obsolete and can only record 2
hours at VHS quality on a DVD.

news.xtra.co.nz 10-01-2005 01:35 AM

"XP" <xp@nospam.comn> wrote in message
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, paora@gayville.com (Canon Paora
> Tikitiki)
> wrote:
>

>>Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
>>most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
>>
>>I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
>>they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
>>impatient.
>>
>>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
>>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
>>claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
>>are just as impressive - maybe more so?
>>
>>Do any of them cope with cheap media?
>>
>>Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

> Just wait for Blue Ray, all these one are now Obsolete and can only
> record 2
> hours at VHS quality on a DVD.

Wtf? Are you on drugs?

E. Scrooge 10-01-2005 03:48 AM

Re: DVD HD recorders - Panasonic - Sony - Pioneer. Which?

"XP" <xp@nospam.comn> wrote in message
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, paora@gayville.com (Canon Paora
> Tikitiki)
> wrote:
>

>>Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
>>most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
>>
>>I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
>>they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
>>impatient.
>>
>>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
>>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
>>claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
>>are just as impressive - maybe more so?
>>
>>Do any of them cope with cheap media?
>>
>>Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

> Just wait for Blue Ray, all these one are now Obsolete and can only
> record 2
> hours at VHS quality on a DVD.

At $10,000 each blue ray DVD recorders will be a real bargain....

Cut the crap.
The here and now range of DVD recorders obviously do the job intended and a
lot better than any VCR could ever do.

The current DVD format is well estblished with damn near every bugger now
having a player of some kind.

E. Scrooge

Daver 10-01-2005 04:06 AM

Re: DVD HD recorders - Panasonic - Sony - Pioneer. Which?

Latest Panasonic are quite good and now support writing to -RW as well as
+R. The full price on the EH50 is $999 so you should be able to pick it up
for $899 easy. The picture even is EP mode is surprising good and perfectly
acceptable for news type programming.
I wouldn't listen to those who say wait for Blu Ray as they probably haven't
even got a VCR yet as they were hanging out for DVD.
By the time blu ray is affordable and mainstrean you'll have had several
years of use out of the Panasonic.

news:1128129520.be8724902ab3e28eaac5d54cbe8d694e@t eranews...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-01-2005 05:20 AM

Re: DVD HD recorders - Panasonic - Sony - Pioneer. Which?

In article <1128129520.be8724902ab3e28eaac5d54cbe8d694e@teran ews>,
paora@gayville.com (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:

>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off.

I have a Pioneer, I think it's a brilliant machine. Why does its choice
of writable media put you off?

XP 10-01-2005 05:43 AM

Re: DVD HD recorders - Panasonic - Sony - Pioneer. Which?

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:35:51 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz" <blahblah@dodgeit.com>
wrote:

>"XP" <xp@nospam.comn> wrote in message
>news:ogprj1hmtset36ij32vp98hf6d3s11gp9j@4ax.com.. .
>> On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, paora@gayville.com (Canon Paora
>> Tikitiki)
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
>>>most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
>>>
>>>I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
>>>they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
>>>impatient.
>>>
>>>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
>>>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
>>>claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
>>>are just as impressive - maybe more so?
>>>
>>>Do any of them cope with cheap media?
>>>
>>>Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

>> Just wait for Blue Ray, all these one are now Obsolete and can only
>> record 2
>> hours at VHS quality on a DVD.
>>

>Wtf? Are you on drugs?

No I have a Brain not like most here.

Whalemeat is Yummy 10-01-2005 12:31 PM

Re: DVD HD recorders - Panasonic - Sony - Pioneer. Which?

I think most Panasonic support DVD-RAM

Personally I found this really useful as my DVD on the PC also supports
DVD-RAM

I can record segments on the Panasonic on to DVD-RAM media.
Then put DVD-RAM media into DVD in PC. Using windows explorer, I drag the
file into PC and rename it with an MPG extension. And hey presto have an
MPEG2 file I can email to friends, screen capture etc.

This pretty much made the video capture card on my PC obsolete.

I can also use my PC to author these MPEG2 files into DVDs with motion menus
etc. to make it look more professional. etc..

XP 10-01-2005 01:54 PM

Re: DVD HD recorders - Panasonic - Sony - Pioneer. Which?

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 00:31:16 +1200, "Whalemeat is Yummy" <nick@iconz.co.zn>
wrote:

>I think most Panasonic support DVD-RAM
>
>Personally I found this really useful as my DVD on the PC also supports
>DVD-RAM

Only if its a Panasonic Drive, the LG does not support the DVD-RAM Cartridge.

>I can record segments on the Panasonic on to DVD-RAM media.
>Then put DVD-RAM media into DVD in PC. Using windows explorer, I drag the
>file into PC and rename it with an MPG extension. And hey presto have an
>MPEG2 file I can email to friends, screen capture etc.
>
>This pretty much made the video capture card on my PC obsolete.
>
>I can also use my PC to author these MPEG2 files into DVDs with motion menus
>etc. to make it look more professional. etc..

When there is a DVD Recorder that can record 10 hours on a Disk at VHS quality
I will get one

Invisible 10-01-2005 09:16 PM

Re: DVD HD recorders - Panasonic - Sony - Pioneer. Which?

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:54:30 +1200, XP
<xp@nospam.comn> wrote:

>When there is a DVD Recorder that can record 10 hours on a Disk at VHS quality
>I will get one

But you can't even record 10hrs on a VHS tape at SP speed.... it's a wonder
you've moved on from an XT or AT machine, after all, there's something bigger &
better "just around the corner".