Velocity Reviews

-   -   reset cisco dsl router (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576535-reset-cisco-dsl-router.html)

XPD 09-27-2005 05:30 AM

reset cisco dsl router

Ive got a Cisco 800 series (827) DSL router that I need to reset back to
factory default. However when trying to do so, soon as i enter "enable" I
get requested for a password, and I dont have this password and nor does the
owner.
Anyone know how to get around this or do I have to drop the local Cisco
support an email and see if they can help (at a huge price knowing my luck
:-p)

TIA

Richard 09-27-2005 05:42 AM

Re: reset cisco dsl router

This not work? http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_827.shtml

ChrisOD 09-27-2005 05:43 AM

Re: reset cisco dsl router

In article <1127799020.396114@drone2-svc-skyt.qsi.net.nz>, XPD wrote:
> Ive got a Cisco 800 series (827) DSL router that I need to reset back to
> factory default. However when trying to do so, soon as i enter "enable" I
> get requested for a password, and I dont have this password and nor does the
> owner.
> Anyone know how to get around this or do I have to drop the local Cisco
> support an email and see if they can help (at a huge price knowing my luck
>:-p)
>
> TIA

I yhink from memory if you connect via serial cable you can do a
<ctrl><shift><6> (or <ctrl><^>) at boot time to get you a system
without a config loaded.

Or can you do a show run and see if the password is a level 7 secret?
If not there is a perl app to crack the passwd.

Matthew Poole 09-27-2005 05:44 AM

Re: reset cisco dsl router

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:30:24 +1200, someone purporting to be XPD didst
scrawl:

> Ive got a Cisco 800 series (827) DSL router that I need to reset back to
> factory default. However when trying to do so, soon as i enter "enable" I
> get requested for a password, and I dont have this password and nor does the
> owner.
> Anyone know how to get around this or do I have to drop the local Cisco
> support an email and see if they can help (at a huge price knowing my luck

Do a Google for "Cisco IOS password reset".
Short version you send a break while the box is in the first few seconds
of its boot cycle, and that drops you into a "single-user mode" type of
interface.
From there you do a "copy start run", set the enable password to whatever
you want, and then do a "copy run start" to write it back to flash. Reboot
and you're away laughing.

Be thankful that it's an 827, and running a new version of the boot code.
Old Cisco devices required arcane knowledge of boot registers, and setting
them to cause the password to be ignored, a reboot and resetting of the
enable password, then another reboot into rommon mode to change the
register back again. Very convoluted.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Ewen McNeill 09-27-2005 05:48 AM

Re: reset cisco dsl router

XPD <spamspam@xpdxpd.coco.nz> wrote:
>Ive got a Cisco 800 series (827) DSL router that I need to reset back to
>factory default. However when trying to do so, soon as i enter "enable" I
>get requested for a password, and I dont have this password and nor does the
>owner.

You'll need to do a password recovery. Cisco has guides for pretty much
all their routers on how to do this. Eg, for the Cisco 827:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_827.shtml

(second hit on Google for "cisco 827 password recovery")

You'll need a Cisco "console cable", but there should have been one with
the router.

I suspect if you were to drop it off at Cisco that's pretty much what
they'll do as well.

Ewen

Matthew Poole 09-27-2005 05:48 AM

Re: reset cisco dsl router

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:43:46 +1200, someone purporting to be ChrisOD didst
scrawl:

> In article <1127799020.396114@drone2-svc-skyt.qsi.net.nz>, XPD wrote:

*SNIP*
> Or can you do a show run and see if the password is a level 7 secret?

*SNIP*

You can't do "show run" from outside enable mode.
You could probably brute-force it, anyway, even if it was hashed. It's
only MD5, after all. Certainly you could crack something that was easy.

XPD 09-27-2005 06:04 AM

Re: reset cisco dsl router

"Richard" <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> XPD wrote:
>> Ive got a Cisco 800 series (827) DSL router that I need to reset back to
>> factory default. However when trying to do so, soon as i enter "enable" I
>> get requested for a password, and I dont have this password and nor does
>> the owner.
>> Anyone know how to get around this or do I have to drop the local Cisco
>> support an email and see if they can help (at a huge price knowing my
>> luck :-p)

> This not work? http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_827.shtml

Hmm now why didnt that show up for me when doing a search :)

Thanks, Ill give it a shot tomorrow :)

ChrisOD 09-27-2005 07:50 AM

Re: reset cisco dsl router

In article <pan.2005.09.27.05.48.21.840921@stops.here>, Matthew Poole wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:43:46 +1200, someone purporting to be ChrisOD didst
> scrawl:
>
>> In article <1127799020.396114@drone2-svc-skyt.qsi.net.nz>, XPD wrote:

> *SNIP*
>> Or can you do a show run and see if the password is a level 7 secret?

> *SNIP*
>
> You can't do "show run" from outside enable mode.
> You could probably brute-force it, anyway, even if it was hashed. It's
> only MD5, after all. Certainly you could crack something that was easy.

Thanks Matthew, it has been about six years since I used to fiddle with
routers, so I claim old age!