Velocity Reviews

-   -   Open source documentary. Could be interesting. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576530-open-source-documentary-could-be-interesting.html)

-=rjh=- 09-26-2005 11:30 PM

Open source documentary. Could be interesting.

Seen on legaltorrents.com:

"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation. It includes interviews
with major open-source figures such as Richard Stallman, Lawrence
Lessig, Jon ‘maddog’ Hall, and Bruce Perens, as well as case studies and
discussions of both Shuttleworth's (Ubuntu Linux) and other South
African and global projects that have successfully used open-source
elements."

http://www.legaltorrents.com/bit/go-open-vol-1.torrent
Go_Open - Eps. 1 to 6 [MP4]

http://www.legaltorrents.com/bit/go-open-vol-2.torrent
Go_Open - Eps. 7 to 13 [MP4]

FWIW

cheers

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-28-2005 08:15 AM

Re: Open source documentary. Could be interesting.

In article <433884a2@news.orcon.net.nz>, -=rjh=- <usually@mail.com>
wrote:

>Seen on legaltorrents.com:
>
>"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
>source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
>and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation. It includes interviews
>with major open-source figures such as Richard Stallman, Lawrence
>Lessig, Jon Śmaddogą Hall, and Bruce Perens, as well as case studies and
>discussions of both Shuttleworth's (Ubuntu Linux) and other South
>African and global projects that have successfully used open-source
>elements."
>
>http://www.legaltorrents.com/bit/go-open-vol-1.torrent
>Go_Open - Eps. 1 to 6 [MP4]
>
>http://www.legaltorrents.com/bit/go-open-vol-2.torrent
>Go_Open - Eps. 7 to 13 [MP4]

Looks interesting. I've started downloading already. :)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-28-2005 10:04 AM

wrote:

>Seen on legaltorrents.com:
>
>"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
>source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
>and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation.

Finished downloading volume 1 (man, that was quick!), still seeding.
Volume 2 is a lot slower--only about 40% done so far. Just finished
watching the first episode. Impressions:

Breezy, entertaining presenter singing (somewhat uncritically) the
wonders of Open Source. Not sure how many people will get that message,
but if you just want a computer-oriented program that's fun to watch,
this certainly fills the bill. The Richard Stallman interview was
interesting and informative, even while he was directly contradicting
the promotion of the term "Open Source" that filled the rest of the
program.

Personally I would like to see more debate presented on the pros and
cons. But that requires going into the concept in a bit more depth. Oh
well, we'll see what the remaining episodes are like...

-=rjh=- 09-28-2005 10:30 AM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <433884a2@news.orcon.net.nz>, -=rjh=- <usually@mail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Seen on legaltorrents.com:
>>
>>"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
>>source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
>>and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation.

> Finished downloading volume 1 (man, that was quick!), still seeding.
> Volume 2 is a lot slower--only about 40% done so far. Just finished
> watching the first episode. Impressions:
>
> Breezy, entertaining presenter singing (somewhat uncritically) the
> wonders of Open Source. Not sure how many people will get that message,
> but if you just want a computer-oriented program that's fun to watch,
> this certainly fills the bill. The Richard Stallman interview was
> interesting and informative, even while he was directly contradicting
> the promotion of the term "Open Source" that filled the rest of the
> program.
>
> Personally I would like to see more debate presented on the pros and
> cons. But that requires going into the concept in a bit more depth. Oh
> well, we'll see what the remaining episodes are like...

I'm finding the programs quite interesting just from a cultural point of
view; for example the expression "having less than a person from
Zimbabwe" being used in the context of not winning anything in their
competition. The presenter is OTT, and everything is only touched on
lightly, but it is a start; and for those who don't know much about OS
it is probably worth watching.

Not quite up to Click Online standards, but watchable.

BTW I've been using Video Lan Client to watch, it really is excellent.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 09-28-2005 07:39 PM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>Seen on legaltorrents.com:
>>
>>"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
>>source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
>>and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation.

> Finished downloading volume 1 (man, that was quick!), still seeding.
> Volume 2 is a lot slower--only about 40% done so far. Just finished
> watching the first episode. Impressions:

I should be helping this now...

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-29-2005 05:31 AM

Re: Open source documentary. Could be interesting.

In article <433a70e5@news.orcon.net.nz>, -=rjh=- <usually@mail.com>
wrote:

>I'm finding the programs quite interesting just from a cultural point of
>view; for example the expression "having less than a person from
>Zimbabwe" being used in the context of not winning anything in their
>competition.

Yes, I wondered if that sort of thing incurs lots of rude messages/phone
calls. :)

>The presenter is OTT, and everything is only touched on
>lightly, but it is a start; and for those who don't know much about OS
>it is probably worth watching.

One omission in the first episode was, the presenter said "GPL" without
explaining what it meant.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-29-2005 05:32 AM

Re: Open source documentary. Could be interesting.

In article <dhg5nu.3e8.1@fairground.synaptic.net.nz>,
"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Finished downloading volume 1 (man, that was quick!), still seeding.
>> Volume 2 is a lot slower--only about 40% done so far. Just finished
>> watching the first episode. Impressions:

>I should be helping this now...

I have both volumes now, and I seem to be the only one seeding at the
moment. I'll keep doing it until I hit a share ratio of 2, or I get no
connections in a day or two, whichever happens first...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-30-2005 09:21 AM

wrote:

>"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
>source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
>and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation.

Episode 3 mentions the Freedom Toaster <http://www.freedomtoaster.org/>.
This is a PC with touch screen and 3 CD writers. The hard drive holds a
bunch of CD images of Linux distros and other free software. You bring
along your own CD blanks, choose from the available images to burn, and
walk away a few minutes later with your own copies.

Wonder if that sort of thing would be useful here...

-=rjh=- 09-30-2005 11:22 AM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <433884a2@news.orcon.net.nz>, -=rjh=- <usually@mail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
>>source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
>>and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation.

> Episode 3 mentions the Freedom Toaster <http://www.freedomtoaster.org/>.
> This is a PC with touch screen and 3 CD writers. The hard drive holds a
> bunch of CD images of Linux distros and other free software. You bring
> along your own CD blanks, choose from the available images to burn, and
> walk away a few minutes later with your own copies.
>
> Wonder if that sort of thing would be useful here...

That kind of thing seems to be the norm in Bangkok when you buy software :-)