Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD burning speed vs quality (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576518-dvd-burning-speed-vs-quality.html)

GraB 09-25-2005 05:32 AM

DVD burning speed vs quality

I had been using Excel 4x DVD+R discs (OptodiscOR4) and found that
when burnt at the slowest possible speed, 2.4x (8x Lite-On 832S), they
had the lowest error count, with KProbe2. Now that the supplier has
run out of those I have had to go to the slightly more expensive 8x
version (OptodiscOR8). With the 4x ones, if I burnt them at the
fastest speed, which came up as 8x, or at 4x, there was a noticeable
increase in the error count but I have found with the new 8x discs
they seem to burn better at 6x. Even 8x gives pretty good burns but
2.4x, surprisingly, gave the worst error count.

What do others find, burning different discs at different speeds, with
your burner?

XP 09-25-2005 07:36 AM

Re: DVD burning speed vs quality

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:32:23 +1200, GraB <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote:

>I had been using Excel 4x DVD+R discs (OptodiscOR4) and found that
>when burnt at the slowest possible speed, 2.4x (8x Lite-On 832S), they
>had the lowest error count, with KProbe2. Now that the supplier has
>run out of those I have had to go to the slightly more expensive 8x
>version (OptodiscOR8). With the 4x ones, if I burnt them at the
>fastest speed, which came up as 8x, or at 4x, there was a noticeable
>increase in the error count but I have found with the new 8x discs
>they seem to burn better at 6x. Even 8x gives pretty good burns but
>2.4x, surprisingly, gave the worst error count.
>
>What do others find, burning different discs at different speeds, with
>your burner?

Buy Crap disks get Crap results, its that simple..

Peter S 09-25-2005 09:10 AM

"GraB" <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote in message
>I had been using Excel 4x DVD+R discs (OptodiscOR4) and found that
> when burnt at the slowest possible speed, 2.4x (8x Lite-On 832S), they
> had the lowest error count, with KProbe2. Now that the supplier has
> run out of those I have had to go to the slightly more expensive 8x
> version (OptodiscOR8). With the 4x ones, if I burnt them at the
> fastest speed, which came up as 8x, or at 4x, there was a noticeable
> increase in the error count but I have found with the new 8x discs
> they seem to burn better at 6x. Even 8x gives pretty good burns but
> 2.4x, surprisingly, gave the worst error count.
>
> What do others find, burning different discs at different speeds, with
> your burner?

Hmm, I stick with Princo disks and come up with no coasters. I just let the
drive and disc choose the burn speed.

Atropos 09-25-2005 10:20 AM

Re: DVD burning speed vs quality

"GraB" <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote in message
>I had been using Excel 4x DVD+R discs (OptodiscOR4) and found that
> when burnt at the slowest possible speed, 2.4x (8x Lite-On 832S), they
> had the lowest error count, with KProbe2. Now that the supplier has
> run out of those I have had to go to the slightly more expensive 8x
> version (OptodiscOR8). With the 4x ones, if I burnt them at the
> fastest speed, which came up as 8x, or at 4x, there was a noticeable
> increase in the error count but I have found with the new 8x discs
> they seem to burn better at 6x. Even 8x gives pretty good burns but
> 2.4x, surprisingly, gave the worst error count.
>
> What do others find, burning different discs at different speeds, with
> your burner?

I buy 8x and I burn em at 8x - no problems. I used to burn 4x at 8x as well.

I have found that not burning disks at the advertised speed - (and not using
the latest firmware) can have crappy results.

Bob 09-25-2005 12:27 PM

Re: DVD burning speed vs quality

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:20:21 +0100, "Atropos"
<davewhite122000@spamnoyahoo.com> wrote:

>I have found that not burning disks at the advertised speed - (and not using
>the latest firmware) can have crappy results.

Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
readable.

--

Greatest Movie Line Ever
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

"What is history but the story of how politicians have
squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
--Thomas Sowell

Atropos 09-25-2005 01:26 PM

"Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:20:21 +0100, "Atropos"
> <davewhite122000@spamnoyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I have found that not burning disks at the advertised speed - (and not
>>using
>>the latest firmware) can have crappy results.

> Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
> readable.

They are after 12 months....so?

Bob 09-25-2005 01:47 PM

Re: DVD burning speed vs quality

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:26:17 +0100, "Atropos"
<davewhite122000@spamnoyahoo.com> wrote:

>> Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
>> readable.

>They are after 12 months....so?

You are lucky. We had a Sony/LiteOn burner that we used to burn
FujiFilm 8x DVD -R discs at 8x and now most of them are unreadable.

When we discovered that Sony would not support the burner (it wasn't
even listed as a product) and LiteOn said to go to Sony for support,
we returned it and got an NEC 3540, which does burn discs reliably.

I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
crap.

I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
crap.

I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
crap.

I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
crap.

I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
crap.

[Repitition in hopes it is picked up by spiders.]

GraB 09-25-2005 03:59 PM

Re: DVD burning speed vs quality

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:36:14 +1200, XP
<xp@nospam.comn> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:32:23 +1200, GraB <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>I had been using Excel 4x DVD+R discs (OptodiscOR4) and found that
>>when burnt at the slowest possible speed, 2.4x (8x Lite-On 832S), they
>>had the lowest error count, with KProbe2. Now that the supplier has
>>run out of those I have had to go to the slightly more expensive 8x
>>version (OptodiscOR8). With the 4x ones, if I burnt them at the
>>fastest speed, which came up as 8x, or at 4x, there was a noticeable
>>increase in the error count but I have found with the new 8x discs
>>they seem to burn better at 6x. Even 8x gives pretty good burns but
>>2.4x, surprisingly, gave the worst error count.
>>
>>What do others find, burning different discs at different speeds, with
>>your burner?

>Buy Crap disks get Crap results, its that simple..

What are you talking about? Who said anything about crap discs?
These Optodisc discs have been very good, very low error count. The
subject was about the effect of burning speeds. Can't you read?

GraB 09-25-2005 04:00 PM

Re: DVD burning speed vs quality

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:20:21 +0100, "Atropos"
<davewhite122000@spamnoyahoo.com> wrote:

>"GraB" <grab@whatever.co.nz> wrote in message
>news:m1dcj1t1btdks5d2eblgn9jomt01knkh2r@4ax.com.. .
>>I had been using Excel 4x DVD+R discs (OptodiscOR4) and found that
>> when burnt at the slowest possible speed, 2.4x (8x Lite-On 832S), they
>> had the lowest error count, with KProbe2. Now that the supplier has
>> run out of those I have had to go to the slightly more expensive 8x
>> version (OptodiscOR8). With the 4x ones, if I burnt them at the
>> fastest speed, which came up as 8x, or at 4x, there was a noticeable
>> increase in the error count but I have found with the new 8x discs
>> they seem to burn better at 6x. Even 8x gives pretty good burns but
>> 2.4x, surprisingly, gave the worst error count.
>>
>> What do others find, burning different discs at different speeds, with
>> your burner?

>I buy 8x and I burn em at 8x - no problems. I used to burn 4x at 8x as well.
>
>I have found that not burning disks at the advertised speed - (and not using
>the latest firmware) can have crappy results.

How are you testing the burns?

GraB 09-25-2005 04:04 PM

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:27:36 GMT, spam@uce.gov (Bob) wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:20:21 +0100, "Atropos"
><davewhite122000@spamnoyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I have found that not burning disks at the advertised speed - (and not using
>>the latest firmware) can have crappy results.

>Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
>readable.

I just tested one of the very first DVDs I ever did and there was no
change, no deterioration at all. This was burnt just over a year ago.