Velocity Reviews

-   -   What heatsink compound to use? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576186-what-heatsink-compound-to-use.html)

Nicolaas Hawkins 08-20-2005 09:31 AM

What heatsink compound to use?

Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount heatsink on
CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink compound to use?

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... Smile - it's the second best thing you can do with your lips.

H.O.G 08-20-2005 09:57 AM

Re: What heatsink compound to use?

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
<grumpy.mole@t.large> spoke these fine words:

>Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount heatsink on
>CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink compound to use?

Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the warranty
on your motherboard.

You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
story).

GraB 08-20-2005 12:25 PM

<grumpy.mole@t.large> wrote:

>Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount heatsink on
>CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink compound to use?

I used Arctic Ceramique. That has good reviews on the Net.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...quereview2.php

Conclusion
Well there it is, Céramique scored just a few degrees lower than the
current two top compounds. A few degrees that's sure to make any
enthusiast happy. And to top it off, since Céramique isn't a thermal
grease, it shouldn't void AMDs warrenty like AS3 is reported to do.

Nicolaas Hawkins 08-20-2005 07:52 PM

Re: What heatsink compound to use?

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <spam@spam.com> wrote in
<news:eivdg15hfg86a3732o33docmva904koggl@4ax.com >:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
> <grumpy.mole@t.large> spoke these fine words:
>
>>Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount heatsink on
>>CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink compound to use?

> Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the warranty
> on your motherboard.
>
> You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
> have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
> story).

This defies logic - I must query how what I use between the CPU and its
heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best thermal
transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty on the
motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... Oh -- and a bottle of bandersnatch repellent, please.

Matthew Poole 08-20-2005 11:45 PM

Re: What heatsink compound to use?

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:52:21 +1200, someone purporting to be Nicolaas
Hawkins didst scrawl:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <spam@spam.com> wrote in
> <news:eivdg15hfg86a3732o33docmva904koggl@4ax.com >:

*SNIP*
> This defies logic - I must query how what I use between the CPU and its
> heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best thermal
> transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty on the
> motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

I think it would be incredibly difficult even for AMD to reject a warranty
claim on the basis that an alternative thermal compound was used, unless
they could demonstrate that heat damage was the cause of the failure.
NZ consumer protection law does actually work quite well.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

~misfit~ 08-21-2005 12:32 AM

Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <spam@spam.com> wrote in
> <news:eivdg15hfg86a3732o33docmva904koggl@4ax.com >:
>
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
>> <grumpy.mole@t.large> spoke these fine words:
>>
>>> Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount
>>> heatsink on CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink
>>> compound to use?

>> Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the
>> warranty on your motherboard.
>>
>> You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
>> have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
>> story).

> This defies logic

And you're surprised? You've been here for ages, you should know who knows
what.

> - I must query how what I use between the CPU and
> its heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best
> thermal transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty
> on the motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

It's a H.O.G post, not meant to be taken seriously.
--
~misfit~

H.O.G 08-21-2005 01:45 AM

Re: What heatsink compound to use?

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:52:21 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
<grumpy.mole@t.large> spoke these fine words:

>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <spam@spam.com> wrote in
><news:eivdg15hfg86a3732o33docmva904koggl@4ax.com> :
>
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
>> <grumpy.mole@t.large> spoke these fine words:
>>
>>>Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount heatsink on
>>>CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink compound to use?

>> Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the warranty
>> on your motherboard.

Apologies, I meant the warranty on your CPU (as demonstrated in the
next paragraph re: CPU reseller).

Nicolaas Hawkins 08-21-2005 01:46 AM

Re: What heatsink compound to use?

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:45:23 +1200, Matthew Poole <spam@stops.here> wrote
in <news:pan.2005.08.20.23.45.22.782958@stops.here> :

> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:52:21 +1200, someone purporting to be Nicolaas
> Hawkins didst scrawl:
>
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <spam@spam.com> wrote in
>> <news:eivdg15hfg86a3732o33docmva904koggl@4ax.com >:
>>

> *SNIP*
>> This defies logic - I must query how what I use between the CPU and its
>> heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best thermal
>> transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty on the
>> motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

> I think it would be incredibly difficult even for AMD to reject a warranty
> claim on the basis that an alternative thermal compound was used, unless
> they could demonstrate that heat damage was the cause of the failure.
> NZ consumer protection law does actually work quite well.

I couldn't agree more.

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... Vole Light - All the flavour of voles, only half the calories, and
none of the fur, teeth, or claws.

H.O.G 08-21-2005 01:48 AM

Re: What heatsink compound to use?

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:32:39 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> spoke these fine words:

>Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <spam@spam.com> wrote in
>> <news:eivdg15hfg86a3732o33docmva904koggl@4ax.com >:
>>
>>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
>>> <grumpy.mole@t.large> spoke these fine words:

>>> Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the
>>> warranty on your motherboard.
>>>
>>> You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
>>> have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
>>> story).

>> This defies logic

>And you're surprised? You've been here for ages, you should know who knows
>what.

Dickwad. I'll bet you a bottle of gold label Jim Beam that using a
non-approved thermal compound voids the warranty on your processor.

>> - I must query how what I use between the CPU and
>> its heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best
>> thermal transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty
>> on the motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

>It's a H.O.G post, not meant to be taken seriously.

You can talk, trying to say that AVG is better than Symantec, even
though the facts say the opposite. Don't let the facts get in the way,
though, ay?

Nicolaas Hawkins 08-21-2005 01:50 AM

wrote in <news:4307ccaa$1@news.orcon.net.nz>:

> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <spam@spam.com> wrote in
>> <news:eivdg15hfg86a3732o33docmva904koggl@4ax.com >:
>>
>>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
>>> <grumpy.mole@t.large> spoke these fine words:

>>> Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the
>>> warranty on your motherboard.
>>>
>>> You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
>>> have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
>>> story).

>> This defies logic

> And you're surprised? You've been here for ages, you should know who knows
> what.
>
>> - I must query how what I use between the CPU and
>> its heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best
>> thermal transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty
>> on the motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

> It's a H.O.G post, not meant to be taken seriously.

Hmmmmmmmm ...........

I'm sure the other "authority" will poke his oar in shortly.

Maybe I should have added "Fools and idiots need not reply".

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... We are all one ... which makes it difficult to get replacements.