Velocity Reviews

-   -   Friend with frustrating problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t576149-friend-with-frustrating-problem.html)

GraB 08-16-2005 12:50 PM

Friend with frustrating problem

or it might be frustrating friend with problem:

"After telling you that Repair Registry Pro had gone it has suddenly
popped up again and at its old tricks. Nothing that I can throw at
it will erase it. Every avenue seems to be locked up. I did manage
with Windows Commander to erase the folder for it but 24 hours later
its back again."

How does a programme keep installing itself?

steve 08-16-2005 07:24 PM

Re: Friend with frustrating problem

GraB wrote:

> or it might be frustrating friend with problem:
>
> "After telling you that Repair Registry Pro had gone it has suddenly
> popped up again and at its old tricks. Nothing that I can throw at
> it will erase it. Every avenue seems to be locked up. I did manage
> with Windows Commander to erase the folder for it but 24 hours later
> its back again."
>
> How does a programme keep installing itself?

Sounds like a virus...... :-)

Sticky 08-17-2005 04:57 AM

steve wrote:

> GraB wrote:
>

>>or it might be frustrating friend with problem:
>>
>>"After telling you that Repair Registry Pro had gone it has suddenly
>>popped up again and at its old tricks. Nothing that I can throw at
>>it will erase it. Every avenue seems to be locked up. I did manage
>>with Windows Commander to erase the folder for it but 24 hours later
>>its back again."
>>================================================ =
>>
>>How does a programme keep installing itself?

> Sounds like a virus...... :-)

Could be, but there's gotta be data there somewhere for it to unpack
and install.

There are lots of ways if dealing with this. (I'll assume XP) Have you
tried START|RUN|msconfig and select the Startup tab. Look to see any
suspicious startups.
Also check out SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI - you never know.

Registry : MAKE A BACKUP then Run regedit and then hit Control+F and
then delete everything to do with the program you're trying to shift,
don't stuff around, hack into it... delete anything that looks like
the stuff you don't want, you've always got the backup if things go
pearshaped. Find out the makers name of the software. Sometimes the
registry will use their name rather than the program name.

Also - search your entire PC for *anything that has the right name. It
could be a CAB file, delete *everything more than a day old in all the
temp directories e.g. "C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Local
Settings\Temp"

--
Jim