Velocity Reviews

-   -   dvd rom hack (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575861-dvd-rom-hack.html)

Epsom, Surry 07-20-2005 06:54 PM

dvd rom hack

I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?

cheers
john
@myplace.co.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz 07-20-2005 07:38 PM

Re: dvd rom hack

Epsom, Surry wrote:
> I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
> I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
> does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
> how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?

dvd genie?

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

The Other Guy 07-20-2005 08:11 PM

Re: dvd rom hack

Epsom, Surry wrote:
> I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
> I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
> does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
> how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?

DVD Genie suggested by Dave only takes care of the software side of
things (I personally use a free DVD player that has no such limitations).

The best solution IMO is to flash your drive to be RPC-1. See
http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php for firmware for your drive.

Brotown (which I am just going to comment on brieftly... absolute ****!)
is probably multi-region (2,4, and possibly more). DVD region coding
is not mutually exclusive.

The Other Guy

news.xtra.co.nz 07-20-2005 08:33 PM

Re: dvd rom hack

"Epsom, Surry" <j@myplace.co.nz> wrote in message
> I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
> I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
> does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
> how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?
>
> cheers
> john
> @myplace.co.nz

Heres your solution....

http://tinyurl.com/2rfwr

Brotown runs on region 2 since it was coded to do so, while Whalerider was
not.

Andrei Sharko 07-21-2005 12:12 AM

Re: dvd rom hack

I think software called Anydvd will work. This is a software solution.

Canon Paora Tikitiki 07-21-2005 03:22 AM

Re: dvd rom hack

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:12:16 +1200, "Andrei Sharko"
<andreisharkoNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>I think software called Anydvd will work.

I second that. AnyDVD just seems to work better for me than the
others. It could be my fault that I didnt have as much success with
anything else but I found AnyDVD did what I wanted and gave up on the
alternatives.

SCCC 07-21-2005 06:22 AM

Re: dvd rom hack

Epsom, Surry wrote:
> I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
> I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
> does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
> how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?
>
> cheers
> john
> @myplace.co.nz

There aer almost no hacks except firmwares that you risk stuffing your
drive with. Especially as some of the manufacturer's firmware tools for
Mediatek chipsets are crap.

SCCC 07-21-2005 06:24 AM

Re: dvd rom hack

Andrei Sharko wrote:
> I think software called Anydvd will work. This is a software solution.
>
> "Epsom, Surry" <j@myplace.co.nz> wrote in message
>
>>I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
>>I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
>>does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
>>how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?
>>
>>cheers
>>john
>>@myplace.co.nz

Most of the softwares are very version dependent
- PowerDVD 4 is fine but 5 may not be
- Nero Showtime is not supported by any of the free stuff yet.

The Other Guy 07-21-2005 06:36 AM

Re: dvd rom hack

SCCC wrote:
> Epsom, Surry wrote:
>
>> I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
>> I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
>> does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
>> how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?
>>
>> cheers
>> john
>> @myplace.co.nz

> There aer almost no hacks except firmwares that you risk stuffing your
> drive with. Especially as some of the manufacturer's firmware tools for
> Mediatek chipsets are crap.

The upgrade is easy, the risks are small, and you could take it back
under the CGA and argue that the user flashing the drive to remove
region coding was entirely within the expectations of both the seller
and the purchaser. I've upgraded all my drives, removed region coding,
and everybody I've ever talked to about it has flashed theirs.

Software solutions aren't good enough... too many operating systems,
just flash the drive as RPC1 and never think about it again.

The Other Guy

Epsom, Surry 07-21-2005 08:08 AM

Re: dvd rom hack

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:11:20 +1200, The Other Guy <tog@null.void>
wrote:

>The best solution IMO is to flash your drive to be RPC-1. See
>http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php for firmware for your drive.

great, worked!
flashed the hardware...

good ole nz.comp, still the most effect resourse on the net for a
quick solution