Velocity Reviews

-   -   Ghost Console (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575858-ghost-console.html)

SCCC 07-20-2005 07:15 AM

Ghost Console

I want to send a command to install a software package to a workstation
that has the Ghost Client installed. Running Ghost 8.

The software is on a network share that should be available to all users
- I've tried several, including sharing on a XP desktop with the
permissions set to read only, Everyone.

When I send the remote machine the command
\\machinename\sharename\setup.exe it always returns "Access denied".

So far the only way I've been able to install any stuff on machines is
to copy the files to the Temp directory and execute them locally. A
time consuming process if you have a set of application install files
that are over 300 MB and in lots of folders, to replicate that folder
structure on the remote machine would be extremely fiddly unless I zip
the whole lot up and then send it across followed by an unzip command.
But then using up a lot of unnecessary bandwidth.

The issue seems to be the "Access denied" message, how do I fix this?

Dave Taylor 07-21-2005 08:08 AM

Re: Ghost Console

SCCC <sccc@sccc.nz> wrote in news:dbkti6$ds3$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> The issue seems to be the "Access denied" message, how do I fix this?

Enable the Guest account on the file host computer.

--
Ciao, Dave

SCCC 07-21-2005 11:31 AM

Re: Ghost Console

Dave Taylor wrote:
> SCCC <sccc@sccc.nz> wrote in news:dbkti6$ds3$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:
>

>>The issue seems to be the "Access denied" message, how do I fix this?

> Enable the Guest account on the file host computer.

I'll try that next time, for now I have zipped the installation files
and transmitted them to each machine, unzipped, executed the setup,
copied the shortcut it creates to the desktop, and deleted the setup files.

Maybe the version we have of Ghost is stripped down, but for such a
powerful package, the user interface is incredibly primitive. They could
at least use the client to give you access to a target machine that you
can browse to when entering command parameters, or make it possible to
edit commands, or change the order they appear in, etc.

SCCC 07-21-2005 11:32 AM

Re: Ghost Console

Dave Taylor wrote:
> SCCC <sccc@sccc.nz> wrote in news:dbkti6$ds3$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:
>

>>The issue seems to be the "Access denied" message, how do I fix this?

> Enable the Guest account on the file host computer.

I tried sharing the files from a Win98 box and even that did not work.
Surely you don't need a username and password to access a non password
protected share in Win98.

Peter Huebner 07-21-2005 08:52 PM

Re: Ghost Console

In article <dbo13s$3i3$2@lust.ihug.co.nz>, sccc@sccc.nz says...

> I tried sharing the files from a Win98 box and even that did not work.
> Surely you don't need a username and password to access a non password
> protected share in Win98.

i.i.r.c. you need to be 'logged in' on the client machine though. The
test used to be you click on the start button and look if there is an
item at the bottom Log off [username] - if it wasn't there, the shares
[usually] wouldn't work either.
I _think_ uninstalling and re-installing networking on the client
machine fixes it.

-P.

Lawrence DčOliveiro 07-22-2005 08:02 AM

Re: Ghost Console

In article <MPG.1d4ad25158f39eb798988f@news.nzl.ihugultra.co. nz>,
Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address> wrote:

>I _think_ uninstalling and re-installing networking on the client
>machine fixes it.

Standard remedy for Dimdows configuration screwups...

Rob J 07-23-2005 01:46 AM

Re: Ghost Console

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:02:59 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro
<ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>In article <MPG.1d4ad25158f39eb798988f@news.nzl.ihugultra.co. nz>,
> Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address> wrote:
>
>>I _think_ uninstalling and re-installing networking on the client
>>machine fixes it.

>Standard remedy for Dimdows configuration screwups...

Linux doesn't have screwups, it's always the user's fault

Lawrence DčOliveiro 07-23-2005 02:18 AM

Re: Ghost Console

In article <sr73e1l0j6bi6iojkee2flbkch5l5td8hf@4ax.com>,
Rob J <robj@nospam.nospam> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:02:59 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro
><ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In article <MPG.1d4ad25158f39eb798988f@news.nzl.ihugultra.co. nz>,
>> Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address> wrote:
>>
>>>I _think_ uninstalling and re-installing networking on the client
>>>machine fixes it.

>>Standard remedy for Dimdows configuration screwups...

>Linux doesn't have screwups, it's always the user's fault

I've done a lot of Linux troubleshooting over the years, and it's never
even been that.