Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dell.com vs dell.co.nz prices (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575833-dell-com-vs-dell-co-nz-prices.html)

Rob 07-18-2005 03:54 AM

Dell.com vs dell.co.nz prices

I have been looking at the Dell ultrasharp 2005FPW monitor and noticed that
there is such a huge difference in price between the US dell website, and
the NZ Dell website . The reason why I was looking at the US site was
becuase they provide far more details and information on the products.

You can get the 2005FPW on the US dell website for $NZ 744.10 at the
moment although they say it retails for $NZ 1,112.43 , so they are currently
giving about a 1/3 off.

However on the NZ dell website it is selling for 1,119.38 with 20% off, and
they say that it's RRP is about $1343.

Does Dell NZ ever offer 1/3 off for their monitors? They seem to have a
permanent discount on them, but I am not sure what a good discount is.

Nova 07-18-2005 05:21 AM

Re: Dell.com vs dell.co.nz prices

Rob wrote:
> I have been looking at the Dell ultrasharp 2005FPW monitor and noticed that
> there is such a huge difference in price between the US dell website, and
> the NZ Dell website . The reason why I was looking at the US site was
> becuase they provide far more details and information on the products.
>
> You can get the 2005FPW on the US dell website for $NZ 744.10 at the
> moment although they say it retails for $NZ 1,112.43 , so they are currently
> giving about a 1/3 off.
>
> However on the NZ dell website it is selling for 1,119.38 with 20% off, and
> they say that it's RRP is about $1343.
>
> Does Dell NZ ever offer 1/3 off for their monitors? They seem to have a
> permanent discount on them, but I am not sure what a good discount is.

A nice monitor... but is it HDCP ? - something that people should be
looking at now really..
NZ always pays more, just a fact of life, distance, lack of demmand etc
etc :)

Lawrence DčOliveiro 07-18-2005 05:23 AM

Re: Dell.com vs dell.co.nz prices

In article <1121658545.161025@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <dontspamme@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>You can get the 2005FPW on the US dell website for $NZ 744.10 at the
>moment although they say it retails for $NZ 1,112.43 , so they are currently
>giving about a 1/3 off.
>
>However on the NZ dell website it is selling for 1,119.38 with 20% off, and
>they say that it's RRP is about $1343.

What about shipping costs?

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. 07-18-2005 06:12 AM

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:21:55 +1200, Nova <Nova@invalid.XXX> wrote:

>Rob wrote:
>> I have been looking at the Dell ultrasharp 2005FPW monitor and noticed that
>> there is such a huge difference in price between the US dell website, and
>> the NZ Dell website . The reason why I was looking at the US site was
>> becuase they provide far more details and information on the products.
>>
>> You can get the 2005FPW on the US dell website for $NZ 744.10 at the
>> moment although they say it retails for $NZ 1,112.43 , so they are currently
>> giving about a 1/3 off.
>>
>> However on the NZ dell website it is selling for 1,119.38 with 20% off, and
>> they say that it's RRP is about $1343.
>>
>> Does Dell NZ ever offer 1/3 off for their monitors? They seem to have a
>> permanent discount on them, but I am not sure what a good discount is.
>>

>A nice monitor... but is it HDCP ? - something that people should be
>looking at now really..
>NZ always pays more, just a fact of life, distance, lack of demmand etc
>etc :)

And a decent warranty!

Cath

Mutley 07-18-2005 07:53 AM

Lawrence DčOliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>In article <1121658545.161025@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <dontspamme@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>You can get the 2005FPW on the US dell website for $NZ 744.10 at the
>>moment although they say it retails for $NZ 1,112.43 , so they are currently
>>giving about a 1/3 off.
>>
>>However on the NZ dell website it is selling for 1,119.38 with 20% off, and
>>they say that it's RRP is about $1343.

>What about shipping costs?

They are most likely made in S E Asia so the shipping will most
likely be the same in both directions..

Rob 07-18-2005 09:00 AM

<texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom. .> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:21:55 +1200, Nova <Nova@invalid.XXX> wrote:
>
> >Rob wrote:
> >> I have been looking at the Dell ultrasharp 2005FPW monitor and noticed

that
> >> there is such a huge difference in price between the US dell website,

and
> >> the NZ Dell website . The reason why I was looking at the US site was
> >> becuase they provide far more details and information on the products.
> >>
> >> You can get the 2005FPW on the US dell website for $NZ 744.10 at the
> >> moment although they say it retails for $NZ 1,112.43 , so they are

currently
> >> giving about a 1/3 off.
> >>
> >> However on the NZ dell website it is selling for 1,119.38 with 20%

off, and
> >> they say that it's RRP is about $1343.
> >>
> >> Does Dell NZ ever offer 1/3 off for their monitors? They seem to have a
> >> permanent discount on them, but I am not sure what a good discount is.
> >>

> >A nice monitor... but is it HDCP ? - something that people should be
> >looking at now really..
> >NZ always pays more, just a fact of life, distance, lack of demmand etc
> >etc :)

> And a decent warranty!
>
> Cath

Dell provides a 3 year warranty on its LCD monitors which I assume is the
same in both the USA and NZ

news.xtra.co.nz 07-18-2005 10:18 PM

"Nova" <Nova@invalid.XXX> wrote in message
> Rob wrote:
>> I have been looking at the Dell ultrasharp 2005FPW monitor and noticed
>> that
>> there is such a huge difference in price between the US dell website, and
>> the NZ Dell website . The reason why I was looking at the US site was
>> becuase they provide far more details and information on the products.
>>
>> You can get the 2005FPW on the US dell website for $NZ 744.10 at the
>> moment although they say it retails for $NZ 1,112.43 , so they are
>> currently
>> giving about a 1/3 off.
>>
>> However on the NZ dell website it is selling for 1,119.38 with 20% off,
>> and
>> they say that it's RRP is about $1343.
>>
>> Does Dell NZ ever offer 1/3 off for their monitors? They seem to have a
>> permanent discount on them, but I am not sure what a good discount is.
>>

> A nice monitor... but is it HDCP ? - something that people should be
> looking at now really..
> NZ always pays more, just a fact of life, distance, lack of demmand etc
> etc :)

These things are all shipped from similar locations ultimately so they could
probably sell for similar prices in both the US/NZ market. But,they would
set the price according to the regional market prices eg, they will look at
the price you pay at traditional retailers such as Harvey Normans/Noel
Leeming etc then undercut those price. And, given NZ high street retailers
expensive compared to the US, online Dell prices are accordingly higher in
NZ.

My theory is that NZ/Aus is also an end-of-line dumping ground for dell.
If Dell US have trouble shifting a product near the end of it's lifespan
they place the products for sale in the Oceania/Asia area. Dell win-wins -
they get 30% more for their old stock, and get rid of old product in one
hit.

eg, look at the 2405 24" lcd monitor...in the US, they are selling the 12ms
version, in NZ, they are selling the 16ms version.

gimp 07-19-2005 07:06 AM

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> eg, look at the 2405 24" lcd monitor...in the US, they are selling the 12ms
> version, in NZ, they are selling the 16ms version.

i checked the US website and can't see the response time listed...?
AFAIK there is only a 16ms version which is 12ms grey-to-grey, which
some people will advertise it as causing confusion. do u have another
URL tho...?
cheers.

news.xtra.co.nz 07-19-2005 10:52 AM

"gimp" <anonymous@smeg.com> wrote in message
> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>> eg, look at the 2405 24" lcd monitor...in the US, they are selling the
>> 12ms version, in NZ, they are selling the 16ms version.

> i checked the US website and can't see the response time listed...? AFAIK
> there is only a 16ms version which is 12ms grey-to-grey, which some people
> will advertise it as causing confusion. do u have another URL tho...?
> cheers.

hey, check....

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...ctlisting.aspx

In the overview...it says..

The 2405FPW wide aspect LCD also provides 12 ms response time to enable
crisp clear images when using the display for fast motion video such as
gaming or video editing

Maybe this is the 12ms grey-to-grey you speak of? I was confused since the
specs did seem different.

gimp 07-19-2005 10:31 PM

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...ctlisting.aspx
>
> In the overview...it says..
>
> The 2405FPW wide aspect LCD also provides 12 ms response time to enable
> crisp clear images when using the display for fast motion video such as
> gaming or video editing
>
> Maybe this is the 12ms grey-to-grey you speak of? I was confused since the
> specs did seem different.

yeah i'm trying to confirm now - i'm pretty sure its 12ms grey-to-grey
and 16ms black-to-white:

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/edi...ue&emid=130367

heh i wouldn't be surprised if Oz/NZ gets refurbished crap :) but i
don't think there are different models...