Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   what is nero dma manager? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575641-what-is-nero-dma-manager.html)

putter 06-26-2005 01:55 AM

what is nero dma manager?
 
With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with nero
and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999 or
later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my
question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or
is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.



Tony 06-26-2005 05:03 AM

Re: what is nero dma manager?
 
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:55:51 +1200, "putter" <putter@golf> wrote:

>With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with nero
>and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
>episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
>problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
>motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999 or
>later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my
>question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or
>is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.
>




Google is FULL of this Same Problem and I have not seen any answers..

Have you tried a Later Version of Nero.



putter 06-26-2005 07:49 AM

Re: what is nero dma manager?
 

"Tony" <ts@nospam.comn> wrote in message
news:imdsb110i197ebp2jss3dvdk69jo5ifof1@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:55:51 +1200, "putter" <putter@golf> wrote:
>
> >With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with

nero
> >and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
> >episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
> >problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
> >motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999

or
> >later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So

my
> >question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks

or
> >is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.
> >

>
>
>
> Google is FULL of this Same Problem and I have not seen any answers..
>
> Have you tried a Later Version of Nero.
>


I have only tried the version that came with the dvdwriter that I just
bought and I presume it would not be fixed in a later version as there has
been a message put into the program to specifically say that a bios later
than 1999 is not supported so I really just wanted to know what the program
did so I know if it is a problem to worry about or not, since I can't start
the program I was hoping someone might tell me what ii is and does.



putter 06-26-2005 07:56 AM

Re: what is nero dma manager?
 

"putter" <putter@golf> wrote in message news:42be0b52$1@clear.net.nz...
> With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with

nero
> and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
> episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
> problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
> motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999 or
> later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my
> question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks

or
> is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.
>

And I have looked at the nero website but since nero has gone to a newer
version that does not have anything called dma manager I can not find any
info on what it actually is, I guess if I spent long enough searching I
might find something but I would really appreciate it if someone can just
let me know, as you know if you look up everything for yourself you don't
have much time left for anything else in life. Anyhow dma manager is part of
the nero toolkit, I'm guessing it's not vital but i would sure like to know
before my chance to return the drive runs out.



Tony 06-26-2005 08:35 AM

Re: what is nero dma manager?
 
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:56:50 +1200, "putter" <putter@golf> wrote:

>
>"putter" <putter@golf> wrote in message news:42be0b52$1@clear.net.nz...
>> With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with

>nero
>> and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
>> episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
>> problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
>> motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999 or
>> later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my
>> question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks

>or
>> is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.
>>

>And I have looked at the nero website but since nero has gone to a newer
>version that does not have anything called dma manager I can not find any
>info on what it actually is, I guess if I spent long enough searching I
>might find something but I would really appreciate it if someone can just
>let me know, as you know if you look up everything for yourself you don't
>have much time left for anything else in life. Anyhow dma manager is part of
>the nero toolkit, I'm guessing it's not vital but i would sure like to know
>before my chance to return the drive runs out.
>




Its not in my Later Version at all.



But I use Nero direct, not via a shell.





Peter Huebner 06-26-2005 10:31 PM

Re: what is nero dma manager?
 
In article <42be0b52$1@clear.net.nz>, putter@golf says...
> With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with nero
> and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
> episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
> problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
> motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999 or
> later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my
> question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or
> is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.


DMA stands for Direct Memory Access. It's supposed to speed data
transfer up (well, it does). It can also lead to a lot of problems if
things go wrong with it; look up -> bsod, snowcrash ...

I shouldn't worry too much about it. With all modern drives now
supporting technology that prevents buffer underruns and 32x or better
read speeds the issue has become largely moot, i.m.o.

I leave DMA off as a rule because the potential mayhem far outweighs the
practical gains. Rather wait 3 seconds longer for a program to load from
CD (and how often do you do that, anyway) than have one nasty system
crash. And I've had entirely too many of the latter when experimenting
with it.

-Peter

~misfit~ 06-26-2005 11:53 PM

Re: what is nero dma manager?
 
Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <42be0b52$1@clear.net.nz>, putter@golf says...
>> With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r
>> with nero and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of
>> a couple of tv episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression
>> required) and the only problem I have run into is that nero dma
>> manager will not work with my motherboard bios, a message says it
>> will only work with bios dated 1999 or later, mine is 1998. I am
>> running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my question is what
>> does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or is it
>> just an optional extra that is not necessary.

>
> DMA stands for Direct Memory Access. It's supposed to speed data
> transfer up (well, it does). It can also lead to a lot of problems if
> things go wrong with it; look up -> bsod, snowcrash ...
>
> I shouldn't worry too much about it. With all modern drives now
> supporting technology that prevents buffer underruns and 32x or better
> read speeds the issue has become largely moot, i.m.o.
>
> I leave DMA off as a rule because the potential mayhem far outweighs
> the practical gains. Rather wait 3 seconds longer for a program to
> load from CD (and how often do you do that, anyway) than have one
> nasty system crash. And I've had entirely too many of the latter when
> experimenting with it.


Hehe. I should have scrolled down a bit before answering the very same
question in the "LG DVD writer" thread.

Putter, there's no need to ask the same question twice in different threads,
it gets annoying.

BTW Peter, your explaination was better than mine although I never have
problems with DMA and always enable it. :-) It's the first thing I do with a
new install, go to device manager and check all devices are working fine and
that all drives have DMA enabled and working.
--
~misfit~



putter 06-27-2005 12:49 AM

Re: what is nero dma manager?
 

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
news:42bf4056$1@news.orcon.net.nz...
> Peter Huebner wrote:
> > In article <42be0b52$1@clear.net.nz>, putter@golf says...
> >> With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r
> >> with nero and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of
> >> a couple of tv episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression
> >> required) and the only problem I have run into is that nero dma
> >> manager will not work with my motherboard bios, a message says it
> >> will only work with bios dated 1999 or later, mine is 1998. I am
> >> running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my question is what
> >> does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or is it
> >> just an optional extra that is not necessary.

> >
> > DMA stands for Direct Memory Access. It's supposed to speed data
> > transfer up (well, it does). It can also lead to a lot of problems if
> > things go wrong with it; look up -> bsod, snowcrash ...
> >
> > I shouldn't worry too much about it. With all modern drives now
> > supporting technology that prevents buffer underruns and 32x or better
> > read speeds the issue has become largely moot, i.m.o.
> >
> > I leave DMA off as a rule because the potential mayhem far outweighs
> > the practical gains. Rather wait 3 seconds longer for a program to
> > load from CD (and how often do you do that, anyway) than have one
> > nasty system crash. And I've had entirely too many of the latter when
> > experimenting with it.

>
> Hehe. I should have scrolled down a bit before answering the very same
> question in the "LG DVD writer" thread.
>
> Putter, there's no need to ask the same question twice in different

threads,
> it gets annoying.
>
> BTW Peter, your explaination was better than mine although I never have
> problems with DMA and always enable it. :-) It's the first thing I do with

a
> new install, go to device manager and check all devices are working fine

and
> that all drives have DMA enabled and working.
> --
> ~misfit~
>


Sorry about that, I thought once I had asked the question in the other
thread that it was probably better asked in a new thread, I should have
replied to myself in the other thread to let you know.



putter 06-27-2005 12:55 AM

Re: what is nero dma manager?
 

"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d29f3d63a160e9e989856@news.nzl.ihugultra .co.nz...
> In article <42be0b52$1@clear.net.nz>, putter@golf says...
> > With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with

nero
> > and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
> > episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
> > problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
> > motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999

or
> > later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So

my
> > question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks

or
> > is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.

>
> DMA stands for Direct Memory Access. It's supposed to speed data
> transfer up (well, it does). It can also lead to a lot of problems if
> things go wrong with it; look up -> bsod, snowcrash ...
>
> I shouldn't worry too much about it. With all modern drives now
> supporting technology that prevents buffer underruns and 32x or better
> read speeds the issue has become largely moot, i.m.o.
>
> I leave DMA off as a rule because the potential mayhem far outweighs the
> practical gains. Rather wait 3 seconds longer for a program to load from
> CD (and how often do you do that, anyway) than have one nasty system
> crash. And I've had entirely too many of the latter when experimenting
> with it.
>
> -Peter


Thanks, I wasn't asking what dma is, I was asking what the dma manager
program does, I know about dma but don't know what this program does that is
different to what you can already do in bios and windows system, is this
just a useless program that doubles up on what is already handled elsewhere
or does it do something useful, you would think nobody would waste their
time making a program that didn't do anything new but from the lack of
responses here it is starting to look like nobody uses it.
I only had some trouble with dma years ago, I have not had any trouble using
it for at least the last 6 years.



Mark C 06-27-2005 01:27 AM

Re: what is nero dma manager?
 
"putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news:42be0b52$1@clear.net.nz:

> my question is what does nero dma manager do


I also have an LG 4163B, and have bought Nero 6 Reloaded.
Nero 6 SmartStart has an icon to run Nero DMA Manager.
The popup tooltip says:

Check and change the status of the DMA mode. Activated
DMA mode will increase the overall performance of your
system.

When opened, it displays a table with one row for the device, and a
checkbox "DMA Enabled". You can check or uncheck the checkbox (and
reboot) and change the DMA mode.

If your drive works fast enough for you at present, I wouldn't worry.

Mark


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.