Velocity Reviews

-   -   What's the Skinny on Used Colour Lasers? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575625-whats-the-skinny-on-used-colour-lasers.html)

I'm a Trampoline 06-25-2005 01:59 AM

What's the Skinny on Used Colour Lasers?

How many pages is too many?
How old is too old?
Is it unwise to even buy a used printer in the first place?

TIA.

Sue 06-25-2005 04:22 AM

Re: What's the Skinny on Used Colour Lasers?

I'm a Trampoline wrote:
> How many pages is too many?
> How old is too old?
> Is it unwise to even buy a used printer in the first place?
>
> TIA.

I bought a HP Laserjet 4L just the other day - the toner cartridge was
knackered,
but apart from that, it was as good as new. You can't find out the paper
count for these either,
but I thought for $30 I would risk it.
For $30 i got the printer - then $120 odd
for a cartridge. I thought I did rather well out of it.
Its sitting here next to me churning out merrily .....
Sue

Richard 06-25-2005 04:37 AM

Sue wrote:

> I bought a HP Laserjet 4L just the other day - the toner cartridge was
> knackered,
> but apart from that, it was as good as new. You can't find out the paper
> count for these either,

So they wont print it if you hold the button down for a few seconds?

> but I thought for $30 I would risk it.
> For $30 i got the printer - then $120 odd
> for a cartridge. I thought I did rather well out of it.
> Its sitting here next to me churning out merrily .....
> Sue

Good price. where from?

Sue 06-25-2005 05:26 AM

Richard wrote:
> Sue wrote:
>
>> I bought a HP Laserjet 4L just the other day - the toner cartridge was
>> knackered,
>> but apart from that, it was as good as new. You can't find out the
>> paper count for these either,

> So they wont print it if you hold the button down for a few seconds?
>
>> but I thought for $30 I would risk it.
>> For $30 i got the printer - then $120 odd
>> for a cartridge. I thought I did rather well out of it.
>> Its sitting here next to me churning out merrily .....
>> Sue

> Good price. where from?

the cartridge was bought through work - uhm i dunno who they deal with
.... i just paid on invoice..
the 4L only keeps 'pages from switched on' in memory. It doesn't hold
anything once the machine has been turned off..
But its had a ram upgarde to 4mb (woohooooo..lol)
didnt even have to pay shipping as it was a local wellington seller...i
guess i took a bit of a risk - it could have had a burnt out fuser or
knackered drum - but yeah - $30 - can't complain....

S Roby 06-25-2005 06:06 AM

Re: What's the Skinny on Used Colour Lasers?

Find out cost of consumables (and pages per cartridge)
Find out cost of drum/transfer unit

Tony 06-25-2005 06:17 AM

Re: What's the Skinny on Used Colour Lasers?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:59:17 +1200, I'm a Trampoline <nospam@nospam.nospam>
wrote:

>How many pages is too many?
>How old is too old?
>Is it unwise to even buy a used printer in the first place?
>
>TIA.

I have a Friend selling a HP model, its a Large office type one A4/A3

I have seen the prints from it very nice..

Tony 06-25-2005 06:27 AM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:26:32 +1200, Sue <time_enough@gmail.com> wrote:

>Richard wrote:
>> Sue wrote:
>>
>>> I bought a HP Laserjet 4L just the other day - the toner cartridge was
>>> knackered,
>>> but apart from that, it was as good as new. You can't find out the
>>> paper count for these either,

>> So they wont print it if you hold the button down for a few seconds?
>>
>>> but I thought for $30 I would risk it.
>>> For $30 i got the printer - then $120 odd
>>> for a cartridge. I thought I did rather well out of it.
>>> Its sitting here next to me churning out merrily .....
>>> Sue

>> Good price. where from?

>the cartridge was bought through work - uhm i dunno who they deal with
>... i just paid on invoice..
>the 4L only keeps 'pages from switched on' in memory. It doesn't hold
>anything once the machine has been turned off..
>But its had a ram upgarde to 4mb (woohooooo..lol)
>didnt even have to pay shipping as it was a local wellington seller...i
>guess i took a bit of a risk - it could have had a burnt out fuser or
>knackered drum - but yeah - $30 - can't complain....

The Drum is in the cartridge..

They do need Paper feed kits after some 30,000 pages, ?. I have just fitted
2 of them I managed to get the kits for $26 + each..

AS I have said a friend is selling a Commercial 2 year old from memory HP
Colour LaserJet A4/A3 that also has a new drum..

In fact it stores all the info on how many hours its used drum life, toner
used etc..

thing 06-25-2005 06:30 AM

I'm a Trampoline wrote:
> How many pages is too many?
> How old is too old?
> Is it unwise to even buy a used printer in the first place?
>
> TIA.

yes it is.

A new toner cartridge is 50~60% of the printer, so just buy a new printer.

regards

Thing

I'm a Trampoline 06-25-2005 07:02 AM

thing wrote:
> I'm a Trampoline wrote:
>
>> How many pages is too many?
>> How old is too old?
>> Is it unwise to even buy a used printer in the first place?
>>
>> TIA.

> yes it is.
>
> A new toner cartridge is 50~60% of the printer, so just buy a new printer.

Well I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to buy a
whole set of cartridges along the line anyway, new or used (or get them
refilled). A couple of brands don't even give you a decent supply of
toner with new printers these days. One of the Epson Aculasers only
comes with 1500 page yeild catridges, as opposed to the bigger 4000
cartridges they also make for it.

bAZZ 06-26-2005 12:55 AM

Re: What's the Skinny on Used Colour Lasers?

In article <d9ivie$pgb$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, nospam@nospam.nospam says...
> thing wrote:
> > I'm a Trampoline wrote:
> >
> >> How many pages is too many?
> >> How old is too old?
> >> Is it unwise to even buy a used printer in the first place?
> >>
> >> TIA.

> > yes it is.
> >
> > A new toner cartridge is 50~60% of the printer, so just buy a new printer.

> Well I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to buy a
> whole set of cartridges along the line anyway, new or used (or get them
> refilled). A couple of brands don't even give you a decent supply of
> toner with new printers these days. One of the Epson Aculasers only
> comes with 1500 page yeild catridges, as opposed to the bigger 4000
> cartridges they also make for it.

DO IBM still sell it's HP compatible toner in NZ ? I saw them ages ago
advertised but never followed up on them. They appeared to be 30% odd
cheaper than genuine HP stuff. Time to replace mine in an HP 6L and it
is that long since I needed a new one I have no idea of prices.

Are there any "good" compatible brands for these that ppl have used OK ?
I don't mind using 3rd party stuff in my inkjets but for laser stuff
have usually used genuine stuff as I don't want to pay 100 odd dollars
for CRAP quality products.

bAZZ

ps.. Roger, how much waas your mate selling his HP for ?