Velocity Reviews

-   -   ISP's who still resell Jetstream? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575611-isps-who-still-resell-jetstream.html)

Pacific Dragon 06-23-2005 04:27 AM

ISP's who still resell Jetstream?

It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move to their
UBS offering or leave.

Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell Jetstream
(Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of August 2005? Or do I
have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my Jetstream connection?

Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences with
UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

Chris Hope 06-23-2005 05:38 AM

Re: ISP's who still resell Jetstream?

Pacific Dragon wrote:

> It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
> offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move to
> their UBS offering or leave.
>
> Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell
> Jetstream
> (Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of August 2005? Or
> do I have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my Jetstream
> connection?
>
> Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences
> with
> UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great. I'm on
the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to sign up to
any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in the year but I
haven't experienced any issues for at least three or four months.

Steve 06-23-2005 06:22 AM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:27:22 +1200, Pacific Dragon wrote:

> It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
> offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move to
> their UBS offering or leave.
>
> Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell
> Jetstream (Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of August
> 2005? Or do I have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my Jetstream
> connection?
>
> Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences with
> UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

Same thing's happened to me over at ihug. Maybe it's telescum driven?

Steve

Richard 06-23-2005 08:41 AM

Pacific Dragon wrote:
> It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
> offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move to their
> UBS offering or leave.
>
> Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell Jetstream
> (Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of August 2005? Or do I
> have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my Jetstream connection?
>
> Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences with
> UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

None will, as telecom will nolonger offer it for resale via other isps..

Commerce commsion dont seem to care.

~misfit~ 06-24-2005 09:51 AM

Pacific Dragon wrote:
> It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
> offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move to
> their UBS offering or leave.
>
> Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell
> Jetstream (Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of
> August 2005? Or do I have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my
> Jetstream connection?
>
> Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences
> with UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

Au contraire. I'm seriously considering going back to Xtra and getting off
this damn UBS shite and back onto Jetstream. The only thing stopping me is
that would mean the Borg would have re-assimilated me. I abhor
Telecom/Xtra's manipulation of the market but it's getting to the stage
where I'm just sick of UBS. I get dropped from games all the time, that's if
I can actually get a connection good enough to make me want to play long
enough to get dropped. It's so frustrating. I wrote a note to self that's in
front of me. "Check Xtra's Jetstream offerings." and I hate myself for it.
(I still haven't done it). I've given UBS nearly 8 months to get sorted now
and it still sucks.

Orcon BTW, not that I think it matters. I think UBS is UBS is UBS. A
crippled product only ever offered because of legislation and scuppered from
the start. If I ever got suicidal I think I'd become a walking bomb and walk
into Telecom head office and take some of the money-grubbing bastards with
me. I have no problem with a company making a profit but I *do* have a
problem with a monopoly taking a whole country for all it can. The ****ing
Marcos regime in the Phillipines was a benevolent society in comparison to
Telecom. They have us over a barrel and don't even have the decency to use
any lube.

<Takes a Xanax>

Sorry about the rant, I've just spent about three hours *trying* to play an
on-line game. I'm off to watch TV like a good, mindless citizen.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~ 06-24-2005 09:53 AM

Chris Hope wrote:
> Pacific Dragon wrote:
>
>> It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
>> offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move to
>> their UBS offering or leave.
>>
>> Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell
>> Jetstream
>> (Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of August 2005?
>> Or do I have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my Jetstream
>> connection?
>>
>> Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences
>> with
>> UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

> I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great. I'm
> on the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to sign
> up to any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in the
> year but I haven't experienced any issues for at least three or four
> months.

So, do you use the connection for any latency-dependant applications such as
on-line gaming, VoIP etc.? If I was just browsing or just downloading my UBS
connection could be considered satisfactory.
--
~misfit~

Chris Hope 06-24-2005 10:21 AM

~misfit~ wrote:

> Chris Hope wrote:
>> Pacific Dragon wrote:
>>
>>> It appears that Orcon are going to kill off their Telecom Jetstream
>>> offering and us exisiting Jetstream users will either have to move
>>> to their UBS offering or leave.
>>>
>>> Are there any ISP's (other than Xtra of course) that still resell
>>> Jetstream
>>> (Non UBS) and will continue to do so after the end of August 2005?
>>> Or do I have to shift to Xtra if I want to retain my Jetstream
>>> connection?
>>>
>>> Worst comes to worst, has *anyone* actually had any good experiences
>>> with
>>> UBS with *any* ISP? If so, please spill the beans.

>> I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great. I'm
>> on the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to sign
>> up to any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in the
>> year but I haven't experienced any issues for at least three or four
>> months.

> So, do you use the connection for any latency-dependant applications
> such as on-line gaming, VoIP etc.? If I was just browsing or just
> downloading my UBS connection could be considered satisfactory.

You have a point there. I don't play online games or use it for anything
like VoIP. I've only heard bad things about using UBS for that.

~misfit~ 06-24-2005 10:57 AM

Chris Hope wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Chris Hope wrote:
>>> I've been using UBS with IHUG since December and it's been great.
>>> I'm on the 256k unlimited plan (which I don't think is possible to
>>> sign up to any more). There were a couple of minor outages early in
>>> the year but I haven't experienced any issues for at least three or
>>> four months.

>> So, do you use the connection for any latency-dependant applications
>> such as on-line gaming, VoIP etc.? If I was just browsing or just
>> downloading my UBS connection could be considered satisfactory.

> You have a point there. I don't play online games or use it for
> anything like VoIP.

Thought so.

> I've only heard bad things about using UBS for
> that.

Believe them.

If I didn't need relatively low-latency then UBS would be fine. Then again,
so would Woosh. Both suffer from latency problems. Woosh because of the
technology limitations, UBS because that's how Telecom want it to be.
--
~misfit~

Chris Hope 06-24-2005 11:03 AM

~misfit~ wrote:

> Chris Hope wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>>
>>> So, do you use the connection for any latency-dependant applications
>>> such as on-line gaming, VoIP etc.? If I was just browsing or just
>>> downloading my UBS connection could be considered satisfactory.

>> You have a point there. I don't play online games or use it for
>> anything like VoIP.

> Thought so.
>
>> I've only heard bad things about using UBS for
>> that.

> Believe them.
>
> If I didn't need relatively low-latency then UBS would be fine. Then
> again, so would Woosh. Both suffer from latency problems. Woosh
> because of the technology limitations, UBS because that's how Telecom
> want it to be. --

I used Woosh for about 12 months, just after they rebranded the service
as Woosh. I found it to be pretty crappy and it dropped out frequently.
Although it's fairly expensive, I found mobile jetstream to be much
more reliable than Woosh - I used it while on "holiday" in the
Coromandel about three months ago.

Adam 06-24-2005 03:24 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:51:09 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

>Sorry about the rant, I've just spent about three hours *trying* to play an
>on-line game. I'm off to watch TV like a good, mindless citizen.

I'm with Maxnet - and it certainly doesn't seem as bad as Orcon. For
online games, (WolfET etc.) my ping has doubled but it's remained
playable. Absolutely no improvement on my old (Maxnet) Jetstream
connection.

Weird thing is, that I connect most often to the Orcon WolfET server
(and hear lots of *other* people complaining about lag). Is it
possible that a server provided by Orcon is actually *slower* for
Orcon users? From what I've heard about Orcon here, anything's
possible!

Adam.