Velocity Reviews

-   -   Ot: A tale of woe (long) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575589-ot-a-tale-of-woe-long.html)

Phstpok 06-19-2005 03:33 PM

Ot: A tale of woe (long)

Tonight I found I had a need of something, so, as I was on the net
anyway, I googled.

Plenty of results. So far so good.

Firstly, I went price shopping.

None, and I mean not one, of these companies, would disclose prices
without my first being a registered customer.

Okay...

First company I try to register with, I fill out the registration form,
press submit... nothing
There was no link attached to the submit button.

So...

Next company tells me very clearly that I had to register.

3 minutes later, I gave up trying to find the registration page.

Went back to google, thinking bright thoughts

Click on one of the companies on the right side of the page. They are
willing to part with money to google, so maybe I will have better luck.

Big bright link "REGISTER HERE"

click

Sorry, online registration not ready yet.

Have a cup of milo.

watch half of the sunday horrors

(don't need to watch the rest, I'm in the middle of it)

Went back to google and tried a different search parameter, thinking
this should get more links.

Wrong, so very wrong.

Clicked on one because the name of the company sounded right.

Right name, completely different type of business.

Found another.

Found where to register.

Filled in form.

Bottom of form...

"Please print this form and fax to ....."

3 minutes later (I think it was about 3 minutes, but not sure, I may
have just gone into a trance)

had another cup of milo

found one

registered

tried to order

had to buy a minimum of 20 of this item

only want one

one time only order (I may need another one day, but I don't want to buy
20 on just a possibility)

Now, I have just gone through all this knowing full well that I could
simply pick up the phone and have my order of one item, once only,
fulfilled and delivered there and then or at any time that suits me.

But I can be a little bit obstinate (stubborn?)

Break time

3 hours later

It is now 3 hours since I stopped ranting, and all I have done in that
time is watch telly. I am admitting defeat on getting what I want over
the net.

Oh, my first search term was "courier delivery"

My 2nd was "courier"

searching only New Zealand pages of course.

I want to get a small parcel safely to Christchurch.

One small parcel.

Pay the courier cash.

I couldn't even get a bloody price, let alone any action, from any of
their badly organised web sites.

Rob

Craig Shore 06-20-2005 02:17 AM

Re: Ot: A tale of woe (long)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 03:33:04 +1200, Phstpok <Im@home.somewhere> wrote:

>I want to get a small parcel safely to Christchurch.
>
>One small parcel.
>
>Pay the courier cash.
>
>I couldn't even get a bloody price, let alone any action, from any of
>their badly organised web sites.

Most are probably geared up for picking up from businesses and delivering to
their customers. As such, there is probably little need for having pricing on
their www site as there are are other factors involved (volume etc).

Pricing between the firms is similar for similar services.

The easiest option for a one off personal package is to take it to a NZ Post
Shop and use courier post. They are more geared up for personal parcels.
NZ Post have an online price calculator where you put in where it's going from,
to, the weight, length, height (or the diameter) of your parcel and it'll work
it out for you. www.nzpost.co.nz

Phstpok 06-20-2005 06:06 AM

Re: Ot: A tale of woe (long)

Craig Shore wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 03:33:04 +1200, Phstpok <Im@home.somewhere> wrote:
>

>>I want to get a small parcel safely to Christchurch.
>>
>>One small parcel.
>>
>>Pay the courier cash.
>>
>>I couldn't even get a bloody price, let alone any action, from any of
>>their badly organised web sites.

> Most are probably geared up for picking up from businesses and delivering to
> their customers. As such, there is probably little need for having pricing on
> their www site as there are are other factors involved (volume etc).
>
> Pricing between the firms is similar for similar services.
>
> The easiest option for a one off personal package is to take it to a NZ Post
> Shop and use courier post. They are more geared up for personal parcels.
> NZ Post have an online price calculator where you put in where it's going from,
> to, the weight, length, height (or the diameter) of your parcel and it'll work
> it out for you. www.nzpost.co.nz

I realised this early on, but being me, I just had to carry on and see
how far it would take me. Close to the point of mass murder was where I
got..

Mercury 06-20-2005 08:16 AM

Re: A tale of woe (long)

Most pointless web site award: telecom yellow pages.

Google for something site:nz --> telecom (yerch),so why do I have to ring?

If you are a web developer, this is your automatically maintained customer
prospect database.

Bob McLellan 06-20-2005 08:17 AM

Re: Ot: A tale of woe (long)

Just use NZ Post. Walk into the Post Shop. I send hundreds of packages a
year all over NZ - no problems, cheap.

Robert Cooze 06-20-2005 09:45 AM

Re: Ot: A tale of woe (long)

Phstpok wrote:
> Craig Shore wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 03:33:04 +1200, Phstpok <Im@home.somewhere> wrote:
>>

>>> I want to get a small parcel safely to Christchurch.
>>>
>>> One small parcel.
>>>
>>> Pay the courier cash.
>>>
>>> I couldn't even get a bloody price, let alone any action, from any of
>>> their badly organised web sites.

>> Most are probably geared up for picking up from businesses and
>> delivering to
>> their customers. As such, there is probably little need for having
>> pricing on
>> their www site as there are are other factors involved (volume etc).
>>
>> Pricing between the firms is similar for similar services.
>>
>> The easiest option for a one off personal package is to take it to a
>> NZ Post
>> Shop and use courier post. They are more geared up for personal parcels.
>> NZ Post have an online price calculator where you put in where it's
>> going from,
>> to, the weight, length, height (or the diameter) of your parcel and
>> it'll work
>> it out for you. www.nzpost.co.nz
>>

> I realised this early on, but being me, I just had to carry on and see
> how far it would take me. Close to the point of mass murder was where I
> got..

One comment

Postal Worker Syndrome or PWS

If it is as bad for the coustomers how about the workers there?

Phstpok 06-22-2005 02:37 AM

Re: Ot: A tale of woe (long)

I appreciate everyone's advice to just use NZ Post. The main reason I
went to the net looking for a courier (I should have explained this
earlier) is that I am semi-invalid and housebound a lot of the time.
Tumor on and through the top of my spinal cord reduces mobility drastically.

I just thought that maybe I could order a one off courier pickup over
the net. No such luck.

Next day I used the phone and after many rejections (no we don't do
that) I arranged for a courier who shall remain nameless because a: they
never turned up and b: when I rang back the woman who answered my call
treated me like a piece of dirt. This particular courier company handles
all the parcels of a rather large company that I do business with, and
one of the reasons I do business with them is I went school with the
managing director. So, this courier company is about to lose a large
contract.

I WILL NOT be treated like dirt on the phone. She had no idea how much
business I might bring. Oh, and I recorded that conversation so her
bosses are getting a lovely little .wav file soon. (I record all my calls)

Rob