Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   US Computer parts mail order (and external TV tuners...) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575587-us-computer-parts-mail-order-and-external-tv-tuners.html)

geoffm 06-19-2005 11:05 AM

US Computer parts mail order (and external TV tuners...)
 
I have a Pixelview USB tv box which is the biggest pile of steaming
manure I have ever paid money for. Dropped frames, 5fps framerates,
poor, echo-y and missing audio, etc.
Sick of the thing, I am looking at getting a Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2
box. It has to be an external tuner as I only have a laptop. Hauppage
stuff seems to have a good rep, and a hardware encoder. NZ price is
around $430 from pp.co.nz, but listed at $US128 at Amazon.
Unfortutately, they don't ship overseas, so...
Any recommendations on US computer cos with good prices, a variety of
shipping options and will take visa (or Paypal at a pinch) and will
actually deal with overseas customers?
Geoff

geoffm 06-19-2005 11:29 AM

Re: US Computer parts mail order (and external TV tuners...)
 
Correction, the Hauppage box is $493 at PP.co.nz
Geoff

Andrew Dixon 06-19-2005 10:52 PM

Re: US Computer parts mail order (and external TV tuners...)
 
geoffm wrote:
> I have a Pixelview USB tv box which is the biggest pile of steaming
> manure I have ever paid money for. Dropped frames, 5fps framerates,
> poor, echo-y and missing audio, etc.
> Sick of the thing, I am looking at getting a Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2
> box. It has to be an external tuner as I only have a laptop. Hauppage
> stuff seems to have a good rep, and a hardware encoder. NZ price is
> around $430 from pp.co.nz, but listed at $US128 at Amazon.
> Unfortutately, they don't ship overseas, so...
> Any recommendations on US computer cos with good prices, a variety of
> shipping options and will take visa (or Paypal at a pinch) and will
> actually deal with overseas customers?
> Geoff


Hi Geoff,

I can't help you with a suggestion for somewhere to buy, but I just
wanted to make sure you check that the tuner is PAL. I know that for
the Hauppauge PCI PVR series of tuners that in the US they sell NTSC
only versions, i.e., a different version from what is sold here. Not
sure about the external units, but it's worth making sure.

Andy

Tony 06-20-2005 12:21 AM

Re: US Computer parts mail order (and external TV tuners...)
 
On 19 Jun 2005 06:05:02 -0500, geoffm <geoff_m@bigfoot.com.DELETECAPS.COM>
wrote:

>I have a Pixelview USB tv box which is the biggest pile of steaming
>manure I have ever paid money for. Dropped frames, 5fps framerates,
>poor, echo-y and missing audio, etc.
>Sick of the thing, I am looking at getting a Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2
>box. It has to be an external tuner as I only have a laptop. Hauppage
>stuff seems to have a good rep, and a hardware encoder. NZ price is
>around $430 from pp.co.nz, but listed at $US128 at Amazon.
>Unfortutately, they don't ship overseas, so...
>Any recommendations on US computer cos with good prices, a variety of
>shipping options and will take visa (or Paypal at a pinch) and will
>actually deal with overseas customers?
>Geoff




And does it support NZ Cannels and Pall.


Plus do not bother with USB as its just to slow, that is your Problem and no
hardware encoding..


Think again..




Richard 06-20-2005 12:42 AM

Re: US Computer parts mail order (and external TV tuners...)
 
Tony wrote:

> And does it support NZ Cannels and Pall.
>
>
> Plus do not bother with USB as its just to slow, that is your Problem and no
> hardware encoding..
>
>
> Think again..



dse have a cheap cardbus tuner if you have the slots on the laptop. doesnt have
a hardware mpeg codec on it but for just watching TV thats not an issue. Search
for xh8282 on www.dse.co.nz

shannon 06-20-2005 01:01 AM

Re: US Computer parts mail order (and external TV tuners...)
 
Tony wrote:
> On 19 Jun 2005 06:05:02 -0500, geoffm <geoff_m@bigfoot.com.DELETECAPS.COM>
> wrote:
>
>
>>I have a Pixelview USB tv box which is the biggest pile of steaming
>>manure I have ever paid money for. Dropped frames, 5fps framerates,
>>poor, echo-y and missing audio, etc.
>>Sick of the thing, I am looking at getting a Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2
>>box. It has to be an external tuner as I only have a laptop. Hauppage
>>stuff seems to have a good rep, and a hardware encoder. NZ price is
>>around $430 from pp.co.nz, but listed at $US128 at Amazon.
>>Unfortutately, they don't ship overseas, so...
>>Any recommendations on US computer cos with good prices, a variety of
>>shipping options and will take visa (or Paypal at a pinch) and will
>>actually deal with overseas customers?
>>Geoff

>
>
>
>
> And does it support NZ Cannels and Pall.


yes

>
>
> Plus do not bother with USB as its just to slow, that is your Problem and no
> hardware encoding..


Hauppauge Wintv pvr usb2 uses hardware encoding and USB 2.0 at 12Mbit/s
it works on usb 1.1 but limits to 6Mbit/s

http://krome.co.nz/products/product_haup_pvrusb.htm

>
>
> Think again..
>


Why don't you find out what you're bloody talking about.

Tony 06-20-2005 01:33 AM

Re: US Computer parts mail order (and external TV tuners...)
 
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:01:40 +1200, shannon <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

>Tony wrote:
>> On 19 Jun 2005 06:05:02 -0500, geoffm <geoff_m@bigfoot.com.DELETECAPS.COM>
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I have a Pixelview USB tv box which is the biggest pile of steaming
>>>manure I have ever paid money for. Dropped frames, 5fps framerates,
>>>poor, echo-y and missing audio, etc.
>>>Sick of the thing, I am looking at getting a Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2
>>>box. It has to be an external tuner as I only have a laptop. Hauppage
>>>stuff seems to have a good rep, and a hardware encoder. NZ price is
>>>around $430 from pp.co.nz, but listed at $US128 at Amazon.
>>>Unfortutately, they don't ship overseas, so...
>>>Any recommendations on US computer cos with good prices, a variety of
>>>shipping options and will take visa (or Paypal at a pinch) and will
>>>actually deal with overseas customers?
>>>Geoff

>>
>>
>>
>>
>> And does it support NZ Cannels and Pall.

>
>yes
>
>>
>>
>> Plus do not bother with USB as its just to slow, that is your Problem and no
>> hardware encoding..

>
>Hauppauge Wintv pvr usb2 uses hardware encoding and USB 2.0 at 12Mbit/s
>it works on usb 1.1 but limits to 6Mbit/s
>
>http://krome.co.nz/products/product_haup_pvrusb.htm
>
>>
>>
>> Think again..
>>

>
>Why don't you find out what you're bloody talking about.



And why don't you **** off.



Peter Huebner 06-20-2005 04:52 AM

Re: US Computer parts mail order (and external TV tuners...)
 
In article <msjab1ps0ald96vms0c7rrll8tk9lo07o9@4ax.com>,
geoff_m@bigfoot.com.DELETECAPS.COM says...
> I have a Pixelview USB tv box which is the biggest pile of steaming
> manure I have ever paid money for. Dropped frames, 5fps framerates,
> poor, echo-y and missing audio, etc.
> Sick of the thing, I am looking at getting a Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2
> box. It has to be an external tuner as I only have a laptop. Hauppage
> stuff seems to have a good rep, and a hardware encoder. NZ price is
> around $430 from pp.co.nz, but listed at $US128 at Amazon.
> Unfortutately, they don't ship overseas, so...
> Any recommendations on US computer cos with good prices, a variety of
> shipping options and will take visa (or Paypal at a pinch) and will
> actually deal with overseas customers?
> Geoff


http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=338330

Have a look at this one - it's a D-link usb w. hardware encoding
mpg1,2,4 and tv tuner (they make one without tuner as well).

It seems to work well going on reviews I've read but apparently only
works with the included Intervideo (WinDVD) software.

Considerably cheaper than the Hauppage you quoted. I was looking at the
Plextor (around NZ$300) one when this one appeared on the scene, and the
Plextor one seems to've gone from the websites?!? I only need it as an
interface between monitor and/or DVD writer and the VCR myself.

cheers, -Peter

geoffm 06-20-2005 06:10 AM

Re: US Computer parts mail order (and external TV tuners...)
 
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:01:40 +1200, shannon <me2@privacy.net> wrote:


>
>Hauppauge Wintv pvr usb2 uses hardware encoding and USB 2.0 at 12Mbit/s
>it works on usb 1.1 but limits to 6Mbit/s
>
>http://krome.co.nz/products/product_haup_pvrusb.htm
>

Thats the one I was looking at - except they cost half as much in the
US.
I have found a couple of places that will sell overseas - but only
take payment by bank draft / wire transfer. IIRC, this costs 20-30
dollars to send (and costs money to recieve as well)
Geoff

geoffm 06-20-2005 06:21 AM

Re: US Computer parts mail order (and external TV tuners...)
 
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:42:21 +1200, Richard <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>Tony wrote:
>
>> And does it support NZ Cannels and Pall.
>>
>>
>> Plus do not bother with USB as its just to slow, that is your Problem and no
>> hardware encoding..
>>
>>
>> Think again..

>
>
>dse have a cheap cardbus tuner if you have the slots on the laptop. doesnt have
>a hardware mpeg codec on it but for just watching TV thats not an issue. Search
>for xh8282 on www.dse.co.nz


Does Cardbus have less CPU overhead than USB2? I have the spare slots,
so could use one of these. The aim is to capture some video (as well
as watch TV) and this seem sto be the main problem.
Geoff


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.