Velocity Reviews

-   -   slow 2mb DSL ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575480-slow-2mb-dsl.html)

XPD 06-08-2005 08:24 PM

slow 2mb DSL ?

Well, Im now on whats supposedly a 2MB connection...... and Im only seeing a
5-10k speed difference.
Speed change should be instant shouldnt it ? No weening in period required ?
:)

Dave - Dave.net.nz 06-08-2005 08:35 PM

Re: slow 2mb DSL ?

XPD wrote:
> Well, Im now on whats supposedly a 2MB connection...... and Im only seeing a
> 5-10k speed difference.

so what are you getting total?
it should bo somewhere near 250Kbytes/sec

> Speed change should be instant shouldnt it ? No weening in period required ?
> :)

correct.

XPD 06-08-2005 08:58 PM

Re: slow 2mb DSL ?

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> XPD wrote:
> > Well, Im now on whats supposedly a 2MB connection...... and Im only

seeing a
> > 5-10k speed difference.

> so what are you getting total?
> it should bo somewhere near 250Kbytes/sec
>
> > Speed change should be instant shouldnt it ? No weening in period

required ?
> > :)

> correct.

From Jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/

Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:

* Download time: 28.594 seconds
* Size of file: 1000 Kilobytes
* Estimated line speed: 285.4 (kilobits/second)
* Estimated line speed: 35 (kilobytes/second)

My router :

DSL status: OK (upstream 160, downstream 2560 kbit/s)
PPP status: OK (QSI)
Ethernet status: OK (10Base-T)
Uptime: 0 days, 00h 42m 41s

Dave - Dave.net.nz 06-08-2005 09:04 PM

Re: slow 2mb DSL ?

XPD wrote:
> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>XPD wrote:
>>
>>>Well, Im now on whats supposedly a 2MB connection...... and Im only

> seeing a
>
>>>5-10k speed difference.

>>so what are you getting total?
>>it should bo somewhere near 250Kbytes/sec
>>

>>>Speed change should be instant shouldnt it ? No weening in period

> required ?
>
>>>:)

>>correct.

> From Jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/
>
> Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:
>
> * Download time: 28.594 seconds
> * Size of file: 1000 Kilobytes
> * Estimated line speed: 285.4 (kilobits/second)
> * Estimated line speed: 35 (kilobytes/second)
>

> My router :
>
> DSL status: OK (upstream 160, downstream 2560 kbit/s)
> PPP status: OK (QSI)
> Ethernet status: OK (10Base-T)
> Uptime: 0 days, 00h 42m 41s

wow, weird, you seem to be getting 256kbit connection.

Ring ISP.

Craig Sutton 06-09-2005 05:29 AM

Re: slow 2mb DSL ?

?
> :)

Most likely Telecom have stuffed things up yet again...many Ihug customers
got put on 256k rather than 2mbitt .....

XPD 06-09-2005 05:33 AM

Re: slow 2mb DSL ?

> > From Jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/
> >
> > Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:
> >
> > * Download time: 28.594 seconds
> > * Size of file: 1000 Kilobytes
> > * Estimated line speed: 285.4 (kilobits/second)
> > * Estimated line speed: 35 (kilobytes/second)
> >

> > My router :
> >
> > DSL status: OK (upstream 160, downstream 2560 kbit/s)
> > PPP status: OK (QSI)
> > Ethernet status: OK (10Base-T)
> > Uptime: 0 days, 00h 42m 41s

> wow, weird, you seem to be getting 256kbit connection.
>
> Ring ISP.

Well, tried ringing them, got put on Q as expected...gave up.
Reset router again, showing same line speed... tried Jetstreamgames again
and actually got a decent result this time. Tried a few other tests etc and
it seems fine (approx 2mb connection) for local traffic however all
international traffic is still the same speed as yesterday (256k).
So off to the Q I go anyway :)

Mark. 06-09-2005 06:28 AM

Re: slow 2mb DSL ?

In article <d88k35$22c$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>,
"Craig Sutton" <xcxcnxxnxxx@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> "XPD" <spam@xpdxpd.coco.nznz> wrote in message
> > Well, Im now on whats supposedly a 2MB connection...... and Im only seeing

> > 5-10k speed difference.
> > Speed change should be instant shouldnt it ? No weening in period required

> ?
> > :)
> >

> Most likely Telecom have stuffed things up yet again...many Ihug customers
> got put on 256k rather than 2mbitt .....

XPD- I just got switched over today as well from 256k to 2MB on Orcon.

Local (NZ sites) speed tests show I am getting approx 2Mb speeds, but
most overseas sites I download from are at 256K speeds, or just slightly
faster, ironic because I never got full 256K speeds when on that
connection.

Stewart Fleming 06-09-2005 06:50 AM

Re: slow 2mb DSL ?

Mark. wrote:

> XPD- I just got switched over today as well from 256k to 2MB on Orcon.
>
> Local (NZ sites) speed tests show I am getting approx 2Mb speeds, but
> most overseas sites I download from are at 256K speeds, or just slightly
> faster, ironic because I never got full 256K speeds when on that
> connection.

Sounds about right. 2MB national/256K international. What does the
small print say?

XPD 06-09-2005 09:41 AM

Re: slow 2mb DSL ?

"Stewart Fleming" <stewart.fleming@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message

> Mark. wrote:
>
> > XPD- I just got switched over today as well from 256k to 2MB on Orcon.
> >
> > Local (NZ sites) speed tests show I am getting approx 2Mb speeds, but
> > most overseas sites I download from are at 256K speeds, or just slightly
> > faster, ironic because I never got full 256K speeds when on that
> > connection.

> Sounds about right. 2MB national/256K international. What does the
> small print say?

Mine says.....

4GB International traffic limit
FREE National Traffic
No Excess Usage charges EVER
Speed will be reduced to 64k when traffic limit is reached

Nothing about speed being limited for international. Friends of mine on Xtra
get great speed via 2mb DSL (or at least were last time I spoke to them)

Craig Sutton 06-09-2005 10:23 AM

Re: slow 2mb DSL ?

> Mark. wrote:
>
> > XPD- I just got switched over today as well from 256k to 2MB on Orcon.
> >
> > Local (NZ sites) speed tests show I am getting approx 2Mb speeds, but
> > most overseas sites I download from are at 256K speeds, or just slightly
> > faster, ironic because I never got full 256K speeds when on that
> > connection.

> Sounds about right. 2MB national/256K international. What does the
> small print say?

I get around 1800k on local stuf and around 700k on international via Ihug
2mbitt