Velocity Reviews

-   -   Keyboard oddity (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575362-keyboard-oddity.html)

Jay 05-28-2005 01:03 AM

Keyboard oddity

Does this happen to anyone else? Could it be some hotkey combo I don't know
of?
I've accidentally found a way to recreate strange keyboard behaviour I've
been having once in a while.... hold the smart comments!

ok
Press ctrl+shift (release) and type something.
Text as expected? Doesn't happen everytime for me - takes a couple of
retries before I recreate it.
My text comes out as gobbledegook. If I rehit ctrl+shift it reverts to norm
IBM PS2 keyboard (MS native drivers) non-IBM (clone) PC.
I also remember it happening on a previous keyboard.

Here's an example. Both instances should read hello. The second line will be
after I've pressed ctrl+shift
hello
d.nnr

Jay

Harry 05-28-2005 01:32 AM

Re: Keyboard oddity

Jay wrote:

> Does this happen to anyone else? Could it be some hotkey combo I don't
> know of?
> I've accidentally found a way to recreate strange keyboard behaviour I've
> been having once in a while.... hold the smart comments!
>
> ok
> Press ctrl+shift (release) and type something.
> Text as expected? Doesn't happen everytime for me - takes a couple of
> retries before I recreate it.
> My text comes out as gobbledegook. If I rehit ctrl+shift it reverts to
> norm IBM PS2 keyboard (MS native drivers) non-IBM (clone) PC.
> I also remember it happening on a previous keyboard.
>
> Here's an example. Both instances should read hello. The second line will
> be after I've pressed ctrl+shift
> hello
> d.nnr

Faulty keyboard, faulty motherboard, faulty connector, faulty
bug inside keyboard, or faulty spyware/hijackware running.
Take your pick.

The Black Wibble 05-28-2005 02:19 AM

Re: Keyboard oddity

"Jay" <jazemail@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does this happen to anyone else? Could it be some hotkey combo I don't
> know of?
> I've accidentally found a way to recreate strange keyboard behaviour I've
> been having once in a while.... hold the smart comments!
>
> ok
> Press ctrl+shift (release) and type something.
> Text as expected? Doesn't happen everytime for me - takes a couple of
> retries before I recreate it.
> My text comes out as gobbledegook. If I rehit ctrl+shift it reverts to
> norm
> IBM PS2 keyboard (MS native drivers) non-IBM (clone) PC.
> I also remember it happening on a previous keyboard.
>
> Here's an example. Both instances should read hello. The second line will
> be after I've pressed ctrl+shift
> hello
> d.nnr

What happens if you select another keymap?

Tony.

Jay 05-28-2005 04:13 AM

Re: Keyboard oddity

"Harry" <Harry@somewhere.on.the.net> wrote in message
> Jay wrote:
>
>> Does this happen to anyone else? Could it be some hotkey combo I don't
>> know of?
>> I've accidentally found a way to recreate strange keyboard behaviour I've
>> been having once in a while.... hold the smart comments!
>>
>> ok
>> Press ctrl+shift (release) and type something.
>> Text as expected? Doesn't happen everytime for me - takes a couple of
>> retries before I recreate it.
>> My text comes out as gobbledegook. If I rehit ctrl+shift it reverts to
>> norm IBM PS2 keyboard (MS native drivers) non-IBM (clone) PC.
>> I also remember it happening on a previous keyboard.
>>
>> Here's an example. Both instances should read hello. The second line will
>> be after I've pressed ctrl+shift
>> hello
>> d.nnr

> Faulty keyboard, faulty motherboard, faulty connector, faulty
> bug inside keyboard, or faulty spyware/hijackware running.
> Take your pick.

We can rule out keyboard and spyware.
Trying to remember if I had this happen before/after my last mobo purchase.

Jay

E. Scrooge 05-28-2005 04:15 AM

Re: Keyboard oddity

"Jay" <jazemail@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does this happen to anyone else? Could it be some hotkey combo I don't
> know of?
> I've accidentally found a way to recreate strange keyboard behaviour I've
> been having once in a while.... hold the smart comments!
>
> ok
> Press ctrl+shift (release) and type something.
> Text as expected? Doesn't happen everytime for me - takes a couple of
> retries before I recreate it.
> My text comes out as gobbledegook. If I rehit ctrl+shift it reverts to
> norm
> IBM PS2 keyboard (MS native drivers) non-IBM (clone) PC.
> I also remember it happening on a previous keyboard.
>
> Here's an example. Both instances should read hello. The second line will
> be after I've pressed ctrl+shift
> hello
> d.nnr
>
> Jay

Quite normal for you, a lot of your posts are like that.

E. Scrooge

Jay 05-28-2005 04:24 AM

Re: Keyboard oddity

> "Jay" <jazemail@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does this happen to anyone else? Could it be some hotkey combo I don't
>> know of?
>> I've accidentally found a way to recreate strange keyboard behaviour I've
>> been having once in a while.... hold the smart comments!
>>
>> ok
>> Press ctrl+shift (release) and type something.
>> Text as expected? Doesn't happen everytime for me - takes a couple of
>> retries before I recreate it.
>> My text comes out as gobbledegook. If I rehit ctrl+shift it reverts to
>> norm
>> IBM PS2 keyboard (MS native drivers) non-IBM (clone) PC.
>> I also remember it happening on a previous keyboard.
>>
>> Here's an example. Both instances should read hello. The second line will
>> be after I've pressed ctrl+shift
>> hello
>> d.nnr
>>
>> Jay

> Quite normal for you, a lot of your posts are like that.

Despite the request to hold smart comments and despite the fact you have
zero knowledge on the subject, you still couldn't resist keeping your
keyboard sized gob shut.

E. Scrooge 05-28-2005 06:01 AM

Re: Keyboard oddity

> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jay" <jazemail@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Does this happen to anyone else? Could it be some hotkey combo I don't
>>> know of?
>>> I've accidentally found a way to recreate strange keyboard behaviour
>>> I've been having once in a while.... hold the smart comments!
>>>
>>> ok
>>> Press ctrl+shift (release) and type something.
>>> Text as expected? Doesn't happen everytime for me - takes a couple of
>>> retries before I recreate it.
>>> My text comes out as gobbledegook. If I rehit ctrl+shift it reverts to
>>> norm
>>> IBM PS2 keyboard (MS native drivers) non-IBM (clone) PC.
>>> I also remember it happening on a previous keyboard.
>>>
>>> Here's an example. Both instances should read hello. The second line
>>> will be after I've pressed ctrl+shift
>>> hello
>>> d.nnr
>>>
>>> Jay

>> Quite normal for you, a lot of your posts are like that.

> Despite the request to hold smart comments and despite the fact you have
> zero knowledge on the subject, you still couldn't resist keeping your
> keyboard sized gob shut.

You should join the police force as a defective.

E. Scrooge

Jay 05-28-2005 09:11 AM

Re: Keyboard oddity

> "Jay" <jazemail@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Jay" <jazemail@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Quite normal for you, a lot of your posts are like that.

>> Despite the request to hold smart comments and despite the fact you have
>> zero knowledge on the subject, you still couldn't resist keeping your
>> keyboard sized gob shut.

> You should join the police force as a defective.

You should go and kill yourself.

Jay

Odin 03-05-2012 06:10 PM

To the OP:
You're shifting your keyboard layout to DVORAK, as opposed to the standard QWERTY. No idea why Ctrl+Shift is causing it, though. Sorry.