Velocity Reviews

-   -   Flash hard drives: Samsumg (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575334-flash-hard-drives-samsumg.html)

steve 05-25-2005 03:45 AM

Flash hard drives: Samsumg

Flash hard drives will be standard in all PCs within a very few years, I
would think.

I'm looking forward to the added speed and better access methods. There will
no longer any real reason for accepting millisencond access rates when
nano-second access rates will be cost effective.

With no moving parts, the meantime between failure should rocket.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Samsu...ves-2222.shtml

Samsung is betting on Flash disk drives
Category: SOFTPEDIA NEWS :: Hardware

Electronics has designed a new system based on flash memory chips that will
replace current hard disk mechanisms. According to the company, mass
production for these drives will start
in August.

The solid state disk (SDD) storing solutions are based on memory chips and
compared to classic solutions they require less power and ensure better
transfer rates.

Samsung will fit these drives with the Advanced Technology Attachment
parallel interface. The SDD system, which will be included first in a 16GB
drive, is based on a 2.5 inch structure with 16 NAND Flash memory modules
with capacities of 4 or 8 GB of memory. At the end of this year, Samsung
will also propose a SDD solution of 1.8 inch which will offer the same
storing capacity.

By replacing current mechanical mechanisms with SDD, the drives will have: a
five times lower power consumption rate, half the weight, reading and
writing speeds of 57MBps, respectively 32 MBps (representing a 150%
increase) and better stability and data protection. Other advantages are:
less heating and no noise.

However, for now, these SDD solutions are aimed at mobile systems used in
industrial and military domains, Samsung announces. In the near future,
cheaper solutions aimed at home-users will also be available.

thing 05-25-2005 04:22 AM

Re: Flash hard drives: Samsumg

steve wrote:
> Flash hard drives will be standard in all PCs within a very few years, I
> would think.
>
> I'm looking forward to the added speed and better access methods. There will
> no longer any real reason for accepting millisencond access rates when
> nano-second access rates will be cost effective.
>
> With no moving parts, the meantime between failure should rocket.
>

> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Samsu...ves-2222.shtml
>
> Samsung is betting on Flash disk drives
> Category: SOFTPEDIA NEWS :: Hardware
>
> Electronics has designed a new system based on flash memory chips that will
> replace current hard disk mechanisms. According to the company, mass
> production for these drives will start
> in August.
>
> The solid state disk (SDD) storing solutions are based on memory chips and
> compared to classic solutions they require less power and ensure better
> transfer rates.
>
> Samsung will fit these drives with the Advanced Technology Attachment
> parallel interface. The SDD system, which will be included first in a 16GB
> drive, is based on a 2.5 inch structure with 16 NAND Flash memory modules
> with capacities of 4 or 8 GB of memory. At the end of this year, Samsung
> will also propose a SDD solution of 1.8 inch which will offer the same
> storing capacity.
>
> By replacing current mechanical mechanisms with SDD, the drives will have: a
> five times lower power consumption rate, half the weight, reading and
> writing speeds of 57MBps, respectively 32 MBps (representing a 150%
> increase) and better stability and data protection. Other advantages are:
> less heating and no noise.
>
> However, for now, these SDD solutions are aimed at mobile systems used in
> industrial and military domains, Samsung announces. In the near future,
> cheaper solutions aimed at home-users will also be available.

Would make interesting boot disks.....one flash drive v 2 scsi/sata
drives and a HW raid controller....might actually work out
cheaper....and faster.

Except of course if "someone" developed a read only region for the OS
and it was pre-installed with a MS OS.....

regards

thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-25-2005 05:31 AM

Re: Flash hard drives: Samsumg

In article <4293f4eb@news.orcon.net.nz>,
steve <steve@ohnomorenewstoread.org.nz> wrote:

>Flash hard drives will be standard in all PCs within a very few years, I
>would think.
>
>I'm looking forward to the added speed and better access methods. There will
>no longer any real reason for accepting millisencond access rates when
>nano-second access rates will be cost effective.
>
>With no moving parts, the meantime between failure should rocket.
>
>http://news.softpedia.com/news/Samsu...rives-2222.sht
>ml

Where have I heard this before ... anybody remember magnetic bubble
memory from the late 1970s? It was slower to access than semiconductor
RAM, but more expensive than hard drives. Falling between two stools, it
was never very popular.

EMB 05-25-2005 05:43 AM

thing wrote:

> Except of course if "someone" developed a read only region for the OS
> and it was pre-installed with a MS OS.....

Great concept, except I'd rather see OS/2 pre-installed - it would be
more useful. :P

--
EMB

Steve 05-25-2005 05:56 AM

Re: Flash hard drives: Samsumg

Like these? just need them to be 10 or 20GB+ :-)

http://www.pp.co.nz/HardDiskDrives-SolidState.php

Jedmeister 05-25-2005 06:04 AM

"steve" <steve@ohnomorenewstoread.org.nz> wrote in message
> Flash hard drives will be standard in all PCs within a very few years, I
> would think.
>
> I'm looking forward to the added speed and better access methods. There
> will
> no longer any real reason for accepting millisencond access rates when
> nano-second access rates will be cost effective.
>
> With no moving parts, the meantime between failure should rocket.
>

> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Samsu...ves-2222.shtml
>
> Samsung is betting on Flash disk drives
> Category: SOFTPEDIA NEWS :: Hardware
>
> Electronics has designed a new system based on flash memory chips that
> will
> replace current hard disk mechanisms. According to the company, mass
> production for these drives will start
> in August.
>
> The solid state disk (SDD) storing solutions are based on memory chips and
> compared to classic solutions they require less power and ensure better
> transfer rates.
>
> Samsung will fit these drives with the Advanced Technology Attachment
> parallel interface. The SDD system, which will be included first in a 16GB
> drive, is based on a 2.5 inch structure with 16 NAND Flash memory modules
> with capacities of 4 or 8 GB of memory. At the end of this year, Samsung
> will also propose a SDD solution of 1.8 inch which will offer the same
> storing capacity.
>
> By replacing current mechanical mechanisms with SDD, the drives will have:
> five times lower power consumption rate, half the weight, reading and
> writing speeds of 57MBps, respectively 32 MBps (representing a 150%
> increase) and better stability and data protection. Other advantages are:
> less heating and no noise.
>
> However, for now, these SDD solutions are aimed at mobile systems used in
> industrial and military domains, Samsung announces. In the near future,
> cheaper solutions aimed at home-users will also be available.

Awesome, how much for a 400gb drive? Where can I get one?

Seriously, perhaps it would be good to get a small 20gig one for running
windows.

Nicholas Sherlock 05-25-2005 06:38 AM

steve wrote:
> Flash hard drives will be standard in all PCs within a very few years, I
> would think.

The price will have to reduce massively. Although prices are falling,
have you seen the prices for 2gb flash cards recently? AFAICS, with
billions of discrete elements in each chip, won't there be a high
failiure rate?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

steve 05-25-2005 08:32 AM

thing wrote:

> Would make interesting boot disks.....one flash drive v 2 scsi/sata
> drives and a HW raid controller....might actually work out
> cheaper....and faster.
>
> Except of course if "someone" developed a read only region for the OS
> and it was pre-installed with a MS OS.....

I'm sure you'd be able to buy ones that didn't...or could be hacked.

steve 05-25-2005 08:34 AM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Where have I heard this before ... anybody remember magnetic bubble
> memory from the late 1970s? It was slower to access than semiconductor
> RAM, but more expensive than hard drives. Falling between two stools, it
> was never very popular.

Agreed.....but that was then and the day of solid state hard drives has
always been coming.

The sheer reliability of the things, combined with more speed and chips
are getting cheaper all the time.

The cost curve had to meet the demand curve at some point......and there
would be no looking back.

steve 05-25-2005 08:37 AM

Steve wrote:
> Like these? just need them to be 10 or 20GB+ :-)
>
> http://www.pp.co.nz/HardDiskDrives-SolidState.php

These Samsung ones will start at 16GB.....which is a nice size for a
very usable Linux desktop with more than 13GB-14GB to spare after the
install.....depending on what you lay down.