Velocity Reviews

-   -   External harddrive enclosure (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575278-external-harddrive-enclosure.html)

JedMeister 05-19-2005 01:35 AM

External harddrive enclosure

I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.

Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be useful
to purchase a harddrive enclosure.

Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb (in
the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
enclosures.

phstpok 05-19-2005 01:40 AM

Re: External harddrive enclosure

JedMeister wrote:
> I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
>
> Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be useful
> to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
>
> Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb (in
> the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
> enclosures.

Why would that be. The external enclosures don't have their own bios,
Unless in your own bios there is some limit. What connection? usb?,
firewire,?

--

http://phstpok.blog.co.uk/main/

CSE 05-19-2005 01:54 AM

Re: External harddrive enclosure

On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:35:48 +1200, "JedMeister"
<jehallinan.removethis@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
>
>Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be useful
>to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
>
>Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb (in
>the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
>enclosures.

You can't use a IDE drive externally..

Chris Hope 05-19-2005 02:00 AM

CSE wrote:

> On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:35:48 +1200, "JedMeister"
> <jehallinan.removethis@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
>>
>>Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be
>>useful to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
>>
>>Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to
>>300gb (in the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general
>>of all enclosures.

> You can't use a IDE drive externally..

Yes you can, if you have an enclosure for it where they plug into either
a USB or firewire port. I've done this myself with quite a few
different IDE drives.

Richard 05-19-2005 02:29 AM

CSE wrote:

> You can't use a IDE drive externally..

Umm, USB to IDE? 1394 to IDE? Hell, even external sata to IDE boxes all exist,
so what basis do you have for that statement?

CSE 05-19-2005 02:35 AM

Re: External harddrive enclosure

On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:00:02 +1200, Chris Hope <blackhole@electrictoolbox.com>
wrote:

>CSE wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:35:48 +1200, "JedMeister"
>> <jehallinan.removethis@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>>I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
>>>
>>>Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be
>>>useful to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
>>>
>>>Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to
>>>300gb (in the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general
>>>of all enclosures.

>> You can't use a IDE drive externally..

>Yes you can, if you have an enclosure for it where they plug into either
>a USB or firewire port. I've done this myself with quite a few
>different IDE drives.

YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..

IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.

The Poster stated noting at all about USB etc..

Chris Hope 05-19-2005 02:40 AM

CSE wrote:

> On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:00:02 +1200, Chris Hope
> <blackhole@electrictoolbox.com> wrote:
>
>>CSE wrote:

>>> You can't use a IDE drive externally..

>>Yes you can, if you have an enclosure for it where they plug into
>>either a USB or firewire port. I've done this myself with quite a few
>>different IDE drives.

> YOU BLODDY CAN"T don't you know how to READ..
>
> IDE has a Limited length of cable and it not a true buss.
>
> The Poster stated noting at all about USB etc..

He did specify that it was an enclosure. Enclosures allow you to plug
IDE drives into a computer externally. It's still an IDE *drive* you
are plugging in via the enclosure.

thing 05-19-2005 03:12 AM

JedMeister wrote:
> I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
>
> Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be useful
> to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
>
> Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb (in
> the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
> enclosures.

I use the 3.5inch DSE case, at $153 it is USB and firewire 400 and has a
cooling fan.

If you want half way decent performance you need to go firewire,
especially as a PCI firewire card is all of $35....also at DSE. The
firewire end works in Linux, Win2k and Mac OSx.

Capacity is not the limiting factor, look at the power usage of a 300gig
drive and the 400 gig drive (probably the same) and make sure the
external case can cope with a margin.

regards

thing

thing 05-19-2005 03:14 AM

CSE wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:35:48 +1200, "JedMeister"
> <jehallinan.removethis@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>

>>I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
>>
>>Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be useful
>>to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
>>
>>Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb (in
>>the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
>>enclosures.
>>

> You can't use a IDE drive externally..

Yes you can, sata for one, let alone USB and Firewire.

regards

Thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-19-2005 04:52 AM

Re: External harddrive enclosure

In article <rcsn819ob9eardajgu1orvajvv3e8c8d5q@4ax.com>,
CSE <cse@noware.comn> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:35:48 +1200, "JedMeister"
><jehallinan.removethis@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>I just ordered a seagate 400gb ide harddrive.
>>
>>Rather than install this into the PC internally, I think it would be useful
>>to purchase a harddrive enclosure.
>>
>>Any recommendations? I noticed some enclosures only support up to 300gb (in
>>the small print) but I don't know if this is true in general of all
>>enclosures.

>You can't use a IDE drive externally..

By the way, SATA is a form of IDE that *can* be used externally.