Velocity Reviews

-   -   Memory (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575233-memory.html)

Rastus 05-15-2005 06:00 AM

Memory

Is there a utility available (free if poss) that I can run to check
the integrity and accuracy of the installed memory in my system?

I'm having some problems with my system and I'm wondering if my memory
is ok.

Many thanks

Jerry 05-15-2005 06:20 AM

Re: Memory

Rastus wrote:
> Is there a utility available (free if poss) that I can run to check
> the integrity and accuracy of the installed memory in my system?
>
> I'm having some problems with my system and I'm wondering if my memory
> is ok.
>
> Many thanks

http://www.memtest86.com/

For a few handy utilities get the Ultimate Boot CD
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Jerry

Richard 05-15-2005 06:30 AM

Re: Memory

Rastus wrote:
> Is there a utility available (free if poss) that I can run to check
> the integrity and accuracy of the installed memory in my system?
>
> I'm having some problems with my system and I'm wondering if my memory
> is ok.
>
> Many thanks

There is a good free one available as a bootable iso from microsoft.

steve 05-15-2005 07:19 AM

Re: Memory

Rastus wrote:

> Is there a utility available (free if poss) that I can run to check
> the integrity and accuracy of the installed memory in my system?
>
> I'm having some problems with my system and I'm wondering if my memory
> is ok.
>
> Many thanks

As mentioned by another person who responded, the "Ultimate Boot CD" is well
worth having on hand - for memory checking a load of other things as well.

Ray Greene 05-15-2005 08:30 AM

Re: Memory

On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:20:57 +1200, Jerry <stoebe@hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://www.memtest86.com/

Memtest is good, just be aware that you need to run it continuously for a
while. 24 hours or more is good. Memory problems can be intermittent and may
not show up for quite some time while testing.

--
Ray Greene.

wogers nemesis 05-15-2005 11:10 AM

Re: Memory

On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:00:37 +1200, Rastus wrote:

> Is there a utility available (free if poss) that I can run to check
> the integrity and accuracy of the installed memory in my system?
>
> I'm having some problems with my system and I'm wondering if my memory
> is ok.
>
> Many thanks

memtest86+

from http://www.memtest.org/

Rob J 05-16-2005 10:48 AM

Re: Memory

In article <d671a8$cm8$8@lust.ihug.co.nz> in nz.comp on Sun, 15 May 2005
20:30:01 +1200, Ray Greene <raygr@es.co.nz> says...
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:20:57 +1200, Jerry <stoebe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.memtest86.com/

> Memtest is good, just be aware that you need to run it continuously for a
> while. 24 hours or more is good. Memory problems can be intermittent and may
> not show up for quite some time while testing.

Memtest may not show up all errors.

We had a PC that ran overnight on Memtest, no errors reported but it kept
crashing Windows until the faulty Dimm was removed and replaced with
another.

Jerry 05-16-2005 07:12 PM

Re: Memory

Rob J wrote:
> In article <d671a8$cm8$8@lust.ihug.co.nz> in nz.comp on Sun, 15 May 2005
> 20:30:01 +1200, Ray Greene <raygr@es.co.nz> says...
>
>>On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:20:57 +1200, Jerry <stoebe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.memtest86.com/

>>Memtest is good, just be aware that you need to run it continuously for a
>>while. 24 hours or more is good. Memory problems can be intermittent and may
>>not show up for quite some time while testing.

> Memtest may not show up all errors.
>
> We had a PC that ran overnight on Memtest, no errors reported but it kept
> crashing Windows until the faulty Dimm was removed and replaced with
> another.

I've seen that happen. Actually all that any successful diagnostic run
actually proves is that diagnostics will run.

Jerry

Rastus 05-17-2005 06:56 PM

Re: Memory

On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:20:57 +1200, Jerry <stoebe@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Rastus wrote:
>> Is there a utility available (free if poss) that I can run to check
>> the integrity and accuracy of the installed memory in my system?
>>
>> I'm having some problems with my system and I'm wondering if my memory
>> is ok.
>>
>> Many thanks

>http://www.memtest86.com/
>
>For a few handy utilities get the Ultimate Boot CD
>http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
>
>Jerry

To those who replied with their advice, many thanks. Using Memtest, I
found that after only 2 minutes heaps of errors showed up in the
80-120Mb range - repeatedly.

My RAM is 2 x 256Mb Dimms so I removed the Dimm from slot 2 and reran
Memtest - again heaps of errors within a short time.

Then I removed the faulty Dimm and put the second one (which had been
in slot 2) into the first slot and reran Memtest. After 3 hours of
testing not a single error showed up.

So..........I've only got 256Mb RAM now but the system is faster and
much more stable.

Again............thanks.