Velocity Reviews

-   -   ~OT: Kiwis contracting to the US (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575228-ot-kiwis-contracting-to-the-us.html)

gimp 05-15-2005 02:12 AM

~OT: Kiwis contracting to the US

oddball question here - i crossposted this to nz.comp thinking maybe
there are some IT people who have experience with this.

does anybody know what the taxation laws are regarding freelancing to
the US from NZ (ie, working from here in NZ, but the work is being paid
for on a per-project basis by US companies).

i know that as long as i was working here and not operating from the US,
as a contrator I'm exempt from paying tax to the IRS - but do i still
need an individual taxpayer identification number? (ITIN) or have to
file anything..?

Tarla 05-15-2005 03:56 AM

Re: ~OT: Kiwis contracting to the US

gimp wrote:
> oddball question here - i crossposted this to nz.comp thinking maybe
> there are some IT people who have experience with this.
>
> does anybody know what the taxation laws are regarding freelancing to
> the US from NZ (ie, working from here in NZ, but the work is being paid
> for on a per-project basis by US companies).
>
> i know that as long as i was working here and not operating from the US,
> as a contrator I'm exempt from paying tax to the IRS - but do i still
> need an individual taxpayer identification number? (ITIN) or have to
> file anything..?

What's your nationality?

gimp 05-15-2005 04:14 AM

Tarla wrote:
> gimp wrote:
>
>> oddball question here - i crossposted this to nz.comp thinking maybe
>> there are some IT people who have experience with this.
>>
>> does anybody know what the taxation laws are regarding freelancing to
>> the US from NZ (ie, working from here in NZ, but the work is being paid
>> for on a per-project basis by US companies).
>>
>> i know that as long as i was working here and not operating from the
>> US, as a contrator I'm exempt from paying tax to the IRS - but do i
>> still need an individual taxpayer identification number? (ITIN) or
>> have to file anything..?

> What's your nationality?

oops, left that out.. born a kiwi :)

Tarla 05-15-2005 04:22 AM

gimp wrote:
> Tarla wrote:
>
>> gimp wrote:
>>
>>> oddball question here - i crossposted this to nz.comp thinking maybe
>>> there are some IT people who have experience with this.
>>>
>>> does anybody know what the taxation laws are regarding freelancing to
>>> the US from NZ (ie, working from here in NZ, but the work is being paid
>>> for on a per-project basis by US companies).
>>>
>>> i know that as long as i was working here and not operating from the
>>> US, as a contrator I'm exempt from paying tax to the IRS - but do i
>>> still need an individual taxpayer identification number? (ITIN) or
>>> have to file anything..?

>> What's your nationality?

> oops, left that out.. born a kiwi :)

If you're living here, and and not resident in the US at all, you only
pay NZ taxes, and you don't need a tax number because you won't be
paying into the Social Security System.

gimp 05-15-2005 10:44 PM

Tarla wrote:
> If you're living here, and and not resident in the US at all, you only
> pay NZ taxes, and you don't need a tax number because you won't be
> paying into the Social Security System.

thanks for the info :)

EMB 05-15-2005 11:44 PM

gimp wrote:
> Tarla wrote:
>
>> If you're living here, and and not resident in the US at all, you only
>> pay NZ taxes, and you don't need a tax number because you won't be
>> paying into the Social Security System.

> thanks for the info :)

AIUI if you're going to earn over the threshold for GST registration you
will need register even though your services will be GST exempt
(provided outside NZ). You'll just have to make an adjustment for zero
rated supplies on each return. I'd suggest you either contact IRD or a
good accountant to clarify this.

--
EMB

gimp 05-16-2005 12:12 AM

EMB wrote:
> AIUI if you're going to earn over the threshold for GST registration

you
> will need register even though your services will be GST exempt
> (provided outside NZ). You'll just have to make an adjustment for zero
> rated supplies on each return. I'd suggest you either contact IRD or a
> good accountant to clarify this.

yep i'm already registered for gst :)

Ron McNulty 05-16-2005 12:39 AM

Re: ~OT: Kiwis contracting to the US

Yes, all your invoices to the USA go in the Zero Rated Supplies box, and you
don't charge them GST. I have an opinion from a major accounting firm that
confirms this (Technically you do charge them GST, but the rate is 0%)

Regards

Ron

NZed 05-21-2005 07:33 AM

Re: ~OT: Kiwis contracting to the US

What if you lived in the Canary Islands ?
Taxed ?
NZed

Tarla 05-21-2005 08:06 PM

NZed wrote:
> What if you lived in the Canary Islands ?
> Taxed ?
> NZed

I have no idea. I thought the Canary Islands were a part of Spain.