Velocity Reviews

-   -   Modifying CD ISO images (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575199-modifying-cd-iso-images.html)

Ray Greene 05-12-2005 07:39 AM

Modifying CD ISO images

Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

--
Ray Greene.

Shane 05-12-2005 07:49 AM

Re: Modifying CD ISO images

On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:39:23 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

> Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
> commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

by modifying iso images you mean................?
(mkisofs is the way to make em on *nix though)

-=rjh=- 05-12-2005 07:52 AM

Re: Modifying CD ISO images

Ray Greene wrote:
> Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
> commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

I did this a while ago, (I wanted to add some extra utilities to a
bootable CDROM) and IIRC I *think* I used isobuster.

Ray Greene 05-12-2005 07:56 AM

Re: Modifying CD ISO images

On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:52:19 +1200, -=rjh=- <usually@mail.com> wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
>> commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.
>>

>I did this a while ago, (I wanted to add some extra utilities to a
>bootable CDROM) and IIRC I *think* I used isobuster.

Exactly what I want to do. I had a quick look at Isobuster a while back but I
thought it just read ISOs but didn't write them. I'll have another look at
it.

--
Ray Greene.

Ray Greene 05-12-2005 07:58 AM

Re: Modifying CD ISO images

On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:49:39 +1200, Shane <shane@weasel.is-a-geek.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:39:23 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
>> commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

>by modifying iso images you mean................?

Taking a boot CD image and adding some extra files to it.

>(mkisofs is the way to make em on *nix though)

It needs to be a Windows app. I know I should have mentioned that :-)

--
Ray Greene.

Dave Taylor 05-12-2005 07:58 AM

Re: Modifying CD ISO images

Ray Greene <raygr@es.co.nz> wrote in news:d5v172$cm8$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or
> alternatively a commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying
> for.

You want to open them, add files , change etc.

http://www.isobuster.com

--
Ciao, Dave

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-12-2005 09:47 AM

Re: Modifying CD ISO images

In article <d5v172$cm8$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Ray Greene <raygr@es.co.nz>
wrote:

>Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
>commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to mount the image on a loopback
filesystem and copy the files to a new image, making the changes along
the way? ISO9660 is a read-only filesystem--it's not designed to allow
making changes in-place.

Peter George 05-12-2005 10:05 AM

Re: Modifying CD ISO images

A freeware way to do it would be to extract the files to your harddisk using
ISOBuster, add/delete/edit and then use mkisofs (google for "Win32 mkisofs")
to recreate the ISO.

WinISO can directly edit a ISO but its not freeware.

These methods are just off the top of my head. 10 minutes and a search
engine will probably turn up other freeware methods.

Regards
Pete

CSE 05-12-2005 10:39 AM

Re: Modifying CD ISO images

On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:52:19 +1200, -=rjh=- <usually@mail.com> wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
>> commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.
>>

>I did this a while ago, (I wanted to add some extra utilities to a
>bootable CDROM) and IIRC I *think* I used isobuster.

WinISO is one but has not been updated for some time, have had a bug with it,
hidden files were set to not hidden..

But I have use I think a few others..

Ray Greene 05-13-2005 07:17 AM

Re: Modifying CD ISO images

On 12 May 2005 19:58:19 +1200, Dave Taylor <daveytay@nospamplshotmail.com>
wrote:

>Ray Greene <raygr@es.co.nz> wrote in news:d5v172$cm8$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:
>
>> Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or
>> alternatively a commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying
>> for.
>>

>You want to open them, add files , change etc.
>
>http://www.isobuster.com

I tried Isobuster today but it doesn't modify ISOs, just reads them :-(

--
Ray Greene.