Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD player problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575149-dvd-player-problem.html)

Gib Bogle 05-08-2005 12:23 AM

DVD player problem

I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not
others (all original disks, no copies.) The disks that don't work do
this: After the disk has loaded the copyright message appears repeated
in 3 horizontal flickering bands. Everything that follows is
grey-scale, and is in the same 3 flickering bands. The sound is OK.
After the disk is removed the bad video state persists - the Dick Smith
logo is similarly munted - until either one of the disks that works is
inserted, or the player is turned off and on. I have 2 disks that play
OK, and 2 that don't.

I took the player and disks to the Dick Smith shop, and of course the
non-playing disk that we tested worked on their TV. The guy in the shop
suggested that my TV is the problem, but I can't understand how this can
be. After all, the signal path is one-way, from the player to the TV.
How can the TV put the player into a faulty state? When the state is
bad I can remove the disk, disconnect the TV cable then reconnect, and
the picture is still munted.

Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas for the explanation? My problem at
the moment is that the player seems to work as far as Dick Smith is
concerned - as far as they know I might be crazy or lying.

Gib

CSE 05-08-2005 01:17 AM

Re: DVD player problem

On Sun, 08 May 2005 12:23:08 +1200, Gib Bogle <bogle@ihug.too.much.spam.co.nz>
wrote:

>I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not
>others (all original disks, no copies.) The disks that don't work do
>this: After the disk has loaded the copyright message appears repeated
>in 3 horizontal flickering bands. Everything that follows is
>grey-scale, and is in the same 3 flickering bands. The sound is OK.
>After the disk is removed the bad video state persists - the Dick Smith
>logo is similarly munted - until either one of the disks that works is
>inserted, or the player is turned off and on. I have 2 disks that play
>OK, and 2 that don't.
>
>I took the player and disks to the Dick Smith shop, and of course the
>non-playing disk that we tested worked on their TV. The guy in the shop
>suggested that my TV is the problem, but I can't understand how this can
>be. After all, the signal path is one-way, from the player to the TV.
>How can the TV put the player into a faulty state? When the state is
>bad I can remove the disk, disconnect the TV cable then reconnect, and
>the picture is still munted.
>
>Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas for the explanation? My problem at
>the moment is that the player seems to work as far as Dick Smith is
>concerned - as far as they know I might be crazy or lying.
>
>Gib

Does your TV support NTSC or PAL 60 as that id often required in playing
back DVD's, it on most modern TV's, check your TV specs

Richard 05-08-2005 01:26 AM

Re: DVD player problem

Gib Bogle wrote:
> I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not
> others (all original disks, no copies.) The disks that don't work do
> this: After the disk has loaded the copyright message appears repeated
> in 3 horizontal flickering bands. Everything that follows is
> grey-scale, and is in the same 3 flickering bands. The sound is OK.
> After the disk is removed the bad video state persists - the Dick Smith
> logo is similarly munted - until either one of the disks that works is
> inserted, or the player is turned off and on. I have 2 disks that play
> OK, and 2 that don't.
>
> I took the player and disks to the Dick Smith shop, and of course the
> non-playing disk that we tested worked on their TV. The guy in the shop
> suggested that my TV is the problem, but I can't understand how this can
> be. After all, the signal path is one-way, from the player to the TV.
> How can the TV put the player into a faulty state? When the state is
> bad I can remove the disk, disconnect the TV cable then reconnect, and
> the picture is still munted.
>
> Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas for the explanation? My problem at
> the moment is that the player seems to work as far as Dick Smith is
> concerned - as far as they know I might be crazy or lying.

Of have a non mulitsystem TV. See if the dvd player can be set to always output
PAL and if that solves it

Collector»NZ 05-08-2005 03:06 AM

Re: DVD player problem

Gib Bogle said the following on 8/05/2005 12:23 p.m.:
> I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not

Nice DVD I bought one the other day.

Trickeys boys may well be right, your TV can not deal with
the Timebase of the composite video generated by some DVD
programs. Does your TV have any inputs beside composite
video (Yellow RCA Socket)?

As suggested by others forcing PAL playback may also help.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
*Slow day Posts Blog*
Pictorial Amusement from the web at
http://nzcollector.blogspot.com

Gib Bogle 05-08-2005 04:07 AM

Re: DVD player problem

Richard wrote:

> Gib Bogle wrote:
>
>> I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not
>> others (all original disks, no copies.) The disks that don't work do
>> this: After the disk has loaded the copyright message appears repeated
>> in 3 horizontal flickering bands. Everything that follows is
>> grey-scale, and is in the same 3 flickering bands. The sound is OK.
>> After the disk is removed the bad video state persists - the Dick
>> Smith logo is similarly munted - until either one of the disks that
>> works is inserted, or the player is turned off and on. I have 2 disks
>> that play OK, and 2 that don't.
>>
>> I took the player and disks to the Dick Smith shop, and of course the
>> non-playing disk that we tested worked on their TV. The guy in the
>> shop suggested that my TV is the problem, but I can't understand how
>> this can be. After all, the signal path is one-way, from the player
>> to the TV. How can the TV put the player into a faulty state? When
>> the state is bad I can remove the disk, disconnect the TV cable then
>> reconnect, and the picture is still munted.
>>
>> Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas for the explanation? My problem
>> at the moment is that the player seems to work as far as Dick Smith is
>> concerned - as far as they know I might be crazy or lying.

> Of have a non mulitsystem TV. See if the dvd player can be set to always
> output PAL and if that solves it

Yes, this was it. The Dick Smith guy said I should try setting it to
NTSC (it was Auto), but in fact setting it to PAL did the trick. Thanks
to those who replied.

Gib

Daniel 05-08-2005 04:09 AM

Re: DVD player problem

Gib Bogle wrote:
> I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not
> others (all original disks, no copies.) The disks that don't work do
> this: After the disk has loaded the copyright message appears repeated
> in 3 horizontal flickering bands. Everything that follows is
> grey-scale, and is in the same 3 flickering bands. The sound is OK.
> After the disk is removed the bad video state persists - the Dick Smith
> logo is similarly munted - until either one of the disks that works is
> inserted, or the player is turned off and on. I have 2 disks that play
> OK, and 2 that don't.
>
> I took the player and disks to the Dick Smith shop, and of course the
> non-playing disk that we tested worked on their TV. The guy in the shop
> suggested that my TV is the problem, but I can't understand how this can
> be. After all, the signal path is one-way, from the player to the TV.
> How can the TV put the player into a faulty state? When the state is
> bad I can remove the disk, disconnect the TV cable then reconnect, and
> the picture is still munted.
>
> Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas for the explanation? My problem at
> the moment is that the player seems to work as far as Dick Smith is
> concerned - as far as they know I might be crazy or lying.
>
> Gib

Hmmm... had a similar sounding issue on my TV. Fault was with the
settings on the TV. The TV setting was forced to PAL, instead of Auto.
Once I set it to auto, things were okay from then on.

Problem was that I had NTSC DVD's from the US (Region 1), and my DVD was
ouputting an NTSC signal, while the TV was forced to handle PAL.

Richard 05-08-2005 07:34 AM

Re: DVD player problem

Gib Bogle wrote:

>> Of have a non mulitsystem TV. See if the dvd player can be set to
>> always output PAL and if that solves it

> Yes, this was it. The Dick Smith guy said I should try setting it to
> NTSC (it was Auto), but in fact setting it to PAL did the trick. Thanks
> to those who replied.

Be aware that its not going to do a good job of taking the 24fps material and
outputting it at 25fps, so you will get funny stutters on movement.

Gib Bogle 05-08-2005 07:34 PM

Re: DVD player problem

Richard wrote:

> Gib Bogle wrote:
>
>>> Of have a non mulitsystem TV. See if the dvd player can be set to
>>> always output PAL and if that solves it

>> Yes, this was it. The Dick Smith guy said I should try setting it to
>> NTSC (it was Auto), but in fact setting it to PAL did the trick.
>> Thanks to those who replied.

> Be aware that its not going to do a good job of taking the 24fps
> material and outputting it at 25fps, so you will get funny stutters on
> movement.

I've always done that ;-)

E. Scrooge 05-08-2005 10:39 PM

Re: DVD player problem

"Gib Bogle" <bogle@ihug.too.much.spam.co.nz> wrote in message
> I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not
> others (all original disks, no copies.) The disks that don't work do
> this: After the disk has loaded the copyright message appears repeated
> in 3 horizontal flickering bands. Everything that follows is
> grey-scale, and is in the same 3 flickering bands. The sound is OK.
> After the disk is removed the bad video state persists - the Dick Smith
> logo is similarly munted - until either one of the disks that works is
> inserted, or the player is turned off and on. I have 2 disks that play
> OK, and 2 that don't.
>
> I took the player and disks to the Dick Smith shop, and of course the
> non-playing disk that we tested worked on their TV. The guy in the shop
> suggested that my TV is the problem, but I can't understand how this can
> be. After all, the signal path is one-way, from the player to the TV.
> How can the TV put the player into a faulty state? When the state is
> bad I can remove the disk, disconnect the TV cable then reconnect, and
> the picture is still munted.
>
> Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas for the explanation? My problem at
> the moment is that the player seems to work as far as Dick Smith is
> concerned - as far as they know I might be crazy or lying.
>
> Gib

You've just seen it work ok for yourself at Dick Smith.
Try it on a few friends TVs if you still have doubts.

E. Scrooge