Velocity Reviews

-   -   Asymmetric Routing using router (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t57512-asymmetric-routing-using-router.html)

SarojDey 03-31-2006 09:03 PM

Asymmetric Routing using router

Hi,
Need some info , how to do the asymmetric routing with 2 different ISP
as upstream provider.
We have our own IP pool and own ASN from APNIC.

We have /18 IP pool. Wants to route /19 thru one ISP ( 20 Mbps) and
other /19 thru another ISP(10 Mbps).

Both shopuld acts as backup to each others.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
SD

Charlie Root 03-31-2006 09:50 PM

Re: Asymmetric Routing using router

Hi,

"SarojDey" <Dey.Saroj@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1143838980.083439.193640@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> We have our own IP pool and own ASN from APNIC.
>
> We have /18 IP pool. Wants to route /19 thru one ISP ( 20 Mbps) and
> other /19 thru another ISP(10 Mbps).

For incoming traffic towards your addresses technically it's nothing
special - just configure BGP to advertise prefixes in such way that given
prefix gets better preference over selected provider, while other gets lower
(in simplest scenario AS_PATH, more sophisticated would using communities -
check with your upstreams what communities they support). However there
might be serious administrative problem - if default allocation size in
major /8 block where you got your addresses from is more than /19 you some
networks may filter your announces at their discretion. Fortunately /19 is
rather big and I don't recall any default allocation being bigger than this.
So you should be ok here (but check).

For outgoing traffic you have choice between:
- simply using best AS_PATH through whichever ISP it happens to be and hope
traffic will be about equal on each link
- adjust local-pref of selected incoming announces in such way that traffic
moves over whichever link you choose
- disregard any incoming announce and use policy-based routing (PBR) to
send traffic over the link which is primary for given /19 of the source IP
(and backup over second if it fails)

While last option may look attractive it usually won't produce best
performance both due to PBR and likely sub-optimum path to destination.
First option looks ok, but chances to get optimum balance of traffic are not
very high (depends on your traffic patterns and providers of course). So the
middle option seems to be the best choice but it requires a lot of work
analysing traffic patterns, tweaking local-pref, then repeat it until you
get desired optimum. Quite common to choose routing to/from some part of the
world via one provider, while to/from another part of the world via another.
Though this assumes that providers are either about equal or have best
connectivity to choosen part of the world better than to another.

As for backup - as long as you advertise you prefixes over both links (just
with different attributes) and have either full-bgp or partial+default
routes on both links BGP will do backup automagically.

Is this what you're looking for?

Kind regards,
iLya

Merv 03-31-2006 09:50 PM

Re: Asymmetric Routing using router

in terms of configuration it would look something like

router bgp <MY-ASN>
neighbor <ip-address-2> remote-as 2
neighbor <ip-address-2> route-map AS-2-OUTBOUND out
neighbor <ip-address-3> remote-as 3
neighbor <ip-address-3> route-map AS-3-OUTBOUND out
exit

route-map AS-2-OUTBOUND permit 10
match ip address prefix-list BLOCK-2
set as-path prepend <MY-ASN> <MY-ASN>

route-map AS-3-OUTBOUND permit 10
match ip address prefix-list BLOCK-1
set as-path prepend <MY-ASN> <MY-ASN>

ip prefix-list BLOCK-1 description 1st /19 block
ip prefix-list BLOCK-1 permit x.x.x.x/19

ip prefix-list BLOCK-2 description 2nd /19 block
ip prefix-list BLOCK-2 permit y.y.y.y/19

SarojDey 03-31-2006 10:23 PM

Re: Asymmetric Routing using router

Exactly this is wht i wants to achieve. Main intention is to pass on
the dedicated bw customer thru one link ( ISP) and shared customer thru
the other link (ISP).
So the incomming traffic and out going traffic should take the intended
route. No load balance is required. Or else shared customer will take
route of dedicated Link.

But if one link is down, the other can be used as backup.

Will appreciate if you can suggest brief config too.

Thanks !
Kind Regards,
SD

Barry Margolin 04-01-2006 01:34 AM

Re: Asymmetric Routing using router

In article <1143843821.341990.237750@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups .com>,
"SarojDey" <Dey.Saroj@gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly this is wht i wants to achieve. Main intention is to pass on
> the dedicated bw customer thru one link ( ISP) and shared customer thru
> the other link (ISP).
> So the incomming traffic and out going traffic should take the intended
> route.

That's the exact *opposite* of asymmetric routing. Asymmetric means
that the inbound and outbound paths are different, but you want them to
be the same.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

SD 04-01-2006 10:16 AM

Re: Asymmetric Routing using router

I understand this is opposite of asymmetric routing. This is the
initial setup. After this i will have another ISP connected , which
will only provide incomming traffic to me. And another link will take
care of outgoing traffic.

I feel this point it will make more complex. So i wants to acieve the
following first.

Can i have some :***advice about the configration in my router ***

Exactly this is wht i wants to achieve. Main intention is to pass on
the dedicated bw customer thru one link ( ISP) and shared customer thru

the other link (ISP).
So the incomming traffic and out going traffic should take the intended

route. No load balance is required. Or else shared customer will take
route of dedicated Link.

But if one link is down, the other can be used as backup.

Both the ISP will be connected to 2 different iterface of a single
Router.