Velocity Reviews

-   -   Laptop can't connect to internet (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5751-laptop-cant-connect-to-internet.html)

Lei Wu 02-15-2005 08:15 PM

Laptop can't connect to internet

I have two Windows XP laptops connecting to the internet via a
wireless router. One of them can't connect to the internet, even
though the signal strength is "Excellent". The other laptop can
connect without a problem.

Both laptop had internet connection within a different wireless
network before.

I tried repairing the wireless network, and disabling and then
re-enabling the network, but it still didn't work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Lei

DJ Borell 02-15-2005 09:07 PM

Re: Laptop can't connect to internet

Check that the settings from your previous wireless network are cleared out
and not conflicting with your current setup. Specifically, check that the
IP address is set properly (whether DHCP or the correct static address) and
that the proper WEP key (if used) is in place.

news:5929ac79.0502151215.332966a6@posting.google.c om...

WLW 02-15-2005 10:36 PM

Re: Laptop can't connect to internet

One other thing to check is the Default Gateway setting. On both laptops
bring up a Command Prompt window (DOS Box) and enter the command IPCONFIG.
Compare the two systems' settings to see what is different. If they are on
the same wireless network they should have different IP Addresses but the
Subnet Mask and Default Gateway should be the same.

Also, you might want to check the Windows security settings and settings on
things like Norton Internet Security or similar programs if you have
anything like that. Many of these type of security programs can
automatically block your computer from accessing the Internet. This is done
to stop viruses and worms, or even Ad software, from opening a rogue
connection out to the internet and sending information you don't want
transmitted. It could be that one laptop has one of these blocking your web
browser from connecting.

To help we probably need more details. Compare the IPCONFIGs and then let us
know if you have Norton or something similar.

--
William L. Whipple
EZine.Com