Velocity Reviews

-   -   Electrical Safety testing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t575048-electrical-safety-testing.html)

Dave - Dave.net.nz 04-27-2005 10:28 PM

Electrical Safety testing

Hmmm
the safety tester is stuck.
HP digital Camera, and it seems to need to be charged prior to being
electrical safety tested... note the problem.

The problem is that the test fires the voltage through it, but the
camera is dead as a dodo, because it has never been charged, and so the
test fails because the device isn't on, I note something becoming very
cyclic in nature.

Anyone know how to get around this?

Malcolm Moore 04-28-2005 12:27 AM

Re: Electrical Safety testing

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:28:31 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hmmm
>the safety tester is stuck.
>HP digital Camera, and it seems to need to be charged prior to being
>electrical safety tested... note the problem.
>
>The problem is that the test fires the voltage through it, but the
>camera is dead as a dodo, because it has never been charged, and so the
>test fails because the device isn't on, I note something becoming very
>cyclic in nature.
>
>Anyone know how to get around this?

Hi
What model camera do you have and what model tester (is this a PAT
tester)?

Does the camera have mains connected directly to it for charging or
via a separate charging unit which provides an isolated output? If the
latter then you only need to test the charger.

What is preventing you charging the camera before the test?
--
Regards
Malcolm

Dave - Dave.net.nz 04-28-2005 12:51 AM

Malcolm Moore wrote:
>>the safety tester is stuck.
>>HP digital Camera, and it seems to need to be charged prior to being
>>electrical safety tested... note the problem.

>>The problem is that the test fires the voltage through it, but the
>>camera is dead as a dodo, because it has never been charged, and so the
>>test fails because the device isn't on, I note something becoming very
>>cyclic in nature.
>>
>>Anyone know how to get around this?

> What model camera do you have and what model tester (is this a PAT
> tester)?

Ummm, HP 4MP something, doesnt matter, we gave up and biffed it on an
UPS that passed safety testing, so unplugged it from the wall, and left
the camera charging :)

> Does the camera have mains connected directly to it for charging or
> via a separate charging unit which provides an isolated output? If the
> latter then you only need to test the charger.

direct plug to the camera.

> What is preventing you charging the camera before the test?

heh, the lack being allowed to plug it in without a safety test. :)

It all passed in the end, just a bit of lateral thinking required.

CSE 04-28-2005 01:36 AM

Re: Electrical Safety testing

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:27:21 +1200, Malcolm Moore
<abor1953needle@yahoodagger.co.nz> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:28:31 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
><davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hmmm
>>the safety tester is stuck.
>>HP digital Camera, and it seems to need to be charged prior to being
>>electrical safety tested... note the problem.
>>
>>The problem is that the test fires the voltage through it, but the
>>camera is dead as a dodo, because it has never been charged, and so the
>>test fails because the device isn't on, I note something becoming very
>>cyclic in nature.
>>
>>Anyone know how to get around this?

>Hi
>What model camera do you have and what model tester (is this a PAT
>tester)?
>
>Does the camera have mains connected directly to it for charging or
>via a separate charging unit which provides an isolated output? If the
>latter then you only need to test the charger.
>
>What is preventing you charging the camera before the test?

How stupid can we get, this beets them all, he has probably killed the Camera

HP does meet World standard so why do it all again, and for what Point..?

This would be one of the most stupid things that I have read here.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 04-28-2005 01:59 AM

CSE wrote:
> How stupid can we get, this beets them all, he has probably killed the Camera

better a dead camera than a dead staffer.

> HP does meet World standard so why do it all again, and for what Point..?

I work in a hospital, Im sure that the patients would be pleased that
there is another step of electrical safety involved... How would you
feel if say your kid(if youve got one) was lying in bed, and a
non-tested cable hit the edge of the metal bed, frying them... Im sure
you'd be stoked.

> This would be one of the most stupid things that I have read here.

so you don't read your own posts then huh?

Daniel 04-28-2005 02:36 AM

Re: Electrical Safety testing

Almost all digital camera chargers are double insulated, so testing wiht a
pat tester / mega is of no point, as both of these tests you are trying to
see a "leak to ground" no ground no leak is posable. (the earth bond test
is also of no point as there is no earth bond) All you can do for a DI
device is to do the vishal inspection of the power lead.

hmmm
Daniel

Malcolm Moore 04-28-2005 02:40 AM

Re: Electrical Safety testing

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:51:56 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:

>Malcolm Moore wrote:

snip

>> What is preventing you charging the camera before the test?

>heh, the lack being allowed to plug it in without a safety test. :)

No, Regulation 45 states:

45.Connection of power supply for testing, certification, or
inspection purposes

Nothing in these regulations prevents the connection, to any
power supply, of any works, electrical installation, or electrical
appliance, or the supply of electricity to any works, electrical
installation, or electrical appliance, where that connection or supply
is solely for the purposes of carrying out any testing, certification,
or inspection required by these regulations.

Regulation 76(3) states:

(3)A fitting or electrical appliance (other than a medical/electrical
fitting or appliance) that is in-service complies with regulation
69(1)* if it has been tested, inspected, and tagged in accordance with
AS/NZS 3760.

While you are testing it, it is not "in-service" so you can
apply power to get it in a state where your tester will work.

*69(1) says things must be safe.

Malcolm Moore 04-28-2005 02:46 AM

Re: Electrical Safety testing

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:36:49 +1200, Daniel <aspamisbad@dfcjddds.klk>
wrote:

>Almost all digital camera chargers are double insulated, so testing wiht a
>pat tester / mega is of no point, as both of these tests you are trying to
>see a "leak to ground" no ground no leak is posable. (the earth bond test
>is also of no point as there is no earth bond) All you can do for a DI
>device is to do the vishal inspection of the power lead.
>
>hmmm
>Daniel

Rubbish. Double Insulated devices can have exposed metal. That metal
is not earthed and an earth leakage test is required to prove that the
insulation between it and the supply conductors is still satisfactory.

--
Regards
Malcolm

Dave - Dave.net.nz 04-28-2005 02:56 AM

Daniel wrote:
> Almost all digital camera chargers are double insulated, so testing wiht a
> pat tester / mega is of no point, as both of these tests you are trying to
> see a "leak to ground" no ground no leak is posable. (the earth bond test
> is also of no point as there is no earth bond) All you can do for a DI
> device is to do the vishal inspection of the power lead.

ok then, thats good I guess, not my area, just wondered if anyone had a
clue as to get around it.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 04-28-2005 02:59 AM

Malcolm Moore wrote:
>>>What is preventing you charging the camera before the test?

>>heh, the lack being allowed to plug it in without a safety test. :)

> No, Regulation 45 states:

snip
I didn't actually read it... I don't personally care.

but then, it's not my area, I just wondered if anyone had a clue as to
get around it.

The safety guy has to test things, and either put a sticker on it, or
not, it's not his place to argue with dumb managers, nor mine.

"I am but a humble servent"