Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bloody Telecom (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t574961-bloody-telecom.html)

EMB 04-20-2005 05:56 AM

Bloody Telecom

An ISP wrote:

> We are trying our best to get all of our old ADSL 'reseller' customers onto
> UBS ASAP. Telecom are relinquishing the Partner Profile which services
> these plans in a few months time, meaning that you will need to of moved to
> UBS or you will likely have to revert back to a <shudder> Telecom only
> service. </shudder>

So, telecom are going to drag all the customers who want an ADSL
connection that performs to spec back into their stable, otherwise we'll
be forced onto an unreliable UBS offering (bandwidth and latency sadly
lacking from all reports here) and those of us on 2Mbit will lose 1/3 of
our upstream speed (after telecom promised to grandfather us with this
speed).

I wonder what the Commerce Commission will say/do about this? Nothing
is my guess despite this being anti-competitive and a bad deal for the
customer.

--
EMB

Pacific Dragon 04-20-2005 06:12 AM

Re: Bloody Telecom

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:56:09 +1200, EMB wrote:

> An ISP wrote:
>>
>> We are trying our best to get all of our old ADSL 'reseller' customers onto
>> UBS ASAP. Telecom are relinquishing the Partner Profile which services
>> these plans in a few months time, meaning that you will need to of moved to
>> UBS or you will likely have to revert back to a <shudder> Telecom only
>> service. </shudder>

Argh, I'm guessing this means I will be shifted to Xtra if I want to stay
clear of Bitstream?

steve 04-20-2005 06:15 AM

Re: Bloody Telecom

EMB wrote:

> I wonder what the Commerce Commission will say/do about this? Nothing
> is my guess despite this being anti-competitive and a bad deal for the
> customer.

Telecom only cares about shareholders....because their continued
dominance means they don't have to worry about customers.

grolschie 04-20-2005 08:24 AM

Re: Bloody Telecom

"EMB" <embtwo@gmail.com> wrote in message
> An ISP wrote:
>>
>> We are trying our best to get all of our old ADSL 'reseller' customers
>> onto
>> UBS ASAP. Telecom are relinquishing the Partner Profile which services
>> these plans in a few months time, meaning that you will need to of moved
>> UBS or you will likely have to revert back to a <shudder> Telecom only
>> service. </shudder>

> So, telecom are going to drag all the customers who want an ADSL
> connection that performs to spec back into their stable, otherwise we'll
> be forced onto an unreliable UBS offering (bandwidth and latency sadly
> lacking from all reports here) and those of us on 2Mbit will lose 1/3 of
> our upstream speed (after telecom promised to grandfather us with this
> speed).
>
> I wonder what the Commerce Commission will say/do about this? Nothing is
> my guess despite this being anti-competitive and a bad deal for the
> customer.

Well, I love my Xtra 2Mbit connection. Ping times are low, speed is snappy.
Their customer service could be much improved, but so could most ISPs. Screw
paying an extra $20 to have the same Xtra service, but use another ISP. I
asked Paradise/Telstra recently why I should use them for ADSL, when I could
get Xtra cheaper and they could only offer me a paradise/telstra email
address. To use Telstra/Paradise I would have to use Xtra anyways. Instead I
can use my cheap-as SNAP/iNET email dial-up account ($5 per month) to keep
my old email address and webspace, and have dial-up access for out of town
use.

grol

whoisthis 04-20-2005 06:16 PM

Re: Bloody Telecom

In article <d44qtp$geb$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I wonder what the Commerce Commission will say/do about this? Nothing
> is my guess despite this being anti-competitive and a bad deal for the
> customer.

Exactly, I laid a complaint with them about a misleading advert, they
wrote back "after investigating" to say "they will not take further
action" because "they must prioritise".... sounds just like the NZ
police and the 111 service really.