Velocity Reviews

-   -   Computer Giveaway (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t574704-computer-giveaway.html)

Howard 03-31-2005 11:23 AM

Computer Giveaway

Hi all,

I've got a lot of older style computers and computer parts available
to free pickup.

Take one or take several of the following:

14" & 15" monitors
Desktop computers (nothing faster than PII 400, all with no OS)
Servers (including Compaq 4 CPU + Multi Gig Ram beasties)
Keyboards
Mice
Power Cords
Laptop Docking Stations
Harddisks
Printers

You can pickup from my warehouse at 11AM Saturday 2 April.

69 Roseberry Ave,
Birkenhead

Here's a map & directions:

http://tinyurl.com/23qe6

If you're coming from the Motorway, take the Onewa Rd exit, keep on
driving straight ahead to the top of the hill and beyond. Roseberry
Ave is first right after the Fire Station on your left.

Cheers

-H

p.s. note the time this was posted - it is NOT an April Fools! This is
a clear our of old stock that I'm too busy to dispose of any other
way. If you have any questions, ask away & I'll try to get back.
Otherwise see you there!

WeeWillyWonka 03-31-2005 07:31 PM

Re: Computer Giveaway

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:23:07 +1200, "Howard" <howhard1309@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>Take one or take several of the following:
>
>14" & 15" monitors

These are really good for young children's computers, as it is all the
screen area they need to play their old games, and the monitors are
not so heavy that you would fear them falling onto your child (if the
child pulled on them).

willy

Gordon 04-01-2005 05:35 AM

Re: Computer Giveaway

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:31:33 +0000, WeeWillyWonka wrote:

> These are really good for young children's computers, as it is all the
> screen area they need to play their old games, and the monitors are
> not so heavy that you would fear them falling onto your child (if the
> child pulled on them).

Out of left field, I have never considered this to be a problem.

I read some place recently that people to-day have not experienced the
risk and thus they are unable to manage it.

Put the monitor and desk against the wall and it is hard for offspring to
pull it onto themselves.

BTW, you explain to child why it is not a good idea not to have the mass
fall on them. Any mass. Okay rain drops excluded.

RdM 04-03-2005 01:04 AM

Re: Computer Giveaway

A vote of thanks to "Howard" for choosing this method of disposal, and being
helpful in answering the odd question or two ...
Not very many people came; perhaps 10 or less?
There still seemed to be quite a lot at the end, monitors and printers
especially, IIRC; and some big old beast servers ...

Perhaps he'll do it again next weekend?

RdM

"Howard" <howhard1309@hotmail.com> announced in
nz.comp<g4R2e.14397$1S4.1490591@news.xtra.co.nz>:
: Hi all,
:

Matty F 04-03-2005 05:44 AM

Re: Computer Giveaway

RdM wrote:
> A vote of thanks to "Howard" for choosing this method of disposal, and being
> helpful in answering the odd question or two ...
> Not very many people came; perhaps 10 or less?
> There still seemed to be quite a lot at the end, monitors and printers
> especially, IIRC; and some big old beast servers ...
>
> Perhaps he'll do it again next weekend?

Hah, I was wondering if that was you, RdM!
The HP keyboards I got are great - I'm typing on one right now.

Bling-Bling 04-03-2005 06:00 AM

Re: Computer Giveaway

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:44:51 +1200, Matty F wrote:

> RdM wrote:
>> A vote of thanks to "Howard" for choosing this method of disposal, and being
>> helpful in answering the odd question or two ...
>> Not very many people came; perhaps 10 or less?
>> There still seemed to be quite a lot at the end, monitors and printers
>> especially, IIRC; and some big old beast servers ...
>>
>> Perhaps he'll do it again next weekend?

> Hah, I was wondering if that was you, RdM!
> The HP keyboards I got are great - I'm typing on one right now.

Are the servers still there?
What are they?

Bling Bling

--
Groklaw: "Seriously, the problem Microsoft has with its FUD is this: it waited
too long. Too many solid, upstanding, capitalist corporations now believe in

Matty F 04-03-2005 06:20 AM

Re: Computer Giveaway

Bling-Bling wrote:

> Are the servers still there?
> What are they?

There were several machines with quadruple 386s. They were probably
leading edge in their day. A 486 would probably be faster though.
Maybe good for a museum.

Bling-Bling 04-03-2005 06:38 AM

Re: Computer Giveaway

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:20:07 +1200, Matty F wrote:

>> Are the servers still there?
>> What are they?

> There were several machines with quadruple 386s. They were probably
> leading edge in their day. A 486 would probably be faster though.
> Maybe good for a museum.

Cool. Thanks for the info - appreciated.

Bling Bling

RdM 04-04-2005 12:44 PM

Re: Computer Giveaway

Matty F writes:
: RdM wrote:
: > A vote of thanks to "Howard" for choosing this method of disposal, and being
: > helpful in answering the odd question or two ...
: > Not very many people came; perhaps 10 or less?
: > There still seemed to be quite a lot at the end, monitors and printers
: > especially, IIRC; and some big old beast servers ...
: >
: > Perhaps he'll do it again next weekend?
:
: Hah, I was wondering if that was you, RdM!
: The HP keyboards I got are great - I'm typing on one right now.

OK, Matty! I picked up an HP and a Compaq multimedia kb; spent some time
locating drivers and downloading;~ bit busy to install or try yet! But I'm
viewing this on a Compaq 17" <cracked!> while I refurb my usual 17".

I'm genuinely grateful and pleased, because even a few GB of HD has made a
big difference, and I have friends who will be rapt to get a P1 or PII!

Tonight I've just returned from a friend's whose 486 I tweaked a few years
ago; I'm surprised at how sweetly it runs considering DX/66 28MB RAM and a
few hundred MB pair of HD's; it runs *the latest version of Opera!* <without
Java> (he had downloaded it) slightly sluggishly, but acceptably ... !
He'd been only concerned with running out of HD space. I cleared some.

Still, he's interested in upgrading, and being able to stream or play music!
Some people see computers as a happenstance commodity, I think ... ;-)

Nice dinner;- and I'll surprise him perhaps with something a little smarter!
How did that song go ... "We Don't Know, How Lucky, We Are" ... ;=})))

I was with a friend with a very small car; I would have happily taken a few
more monitors, and I had hardly looked at the printers; I went straight from
a dot-matrix to a cast-off free mono laser, and wouldn't mind a colour inkj!

Of course, all those were somewhat condition unknown, but we like that;-

I had wondered abou the big servers and hadn't caught the finer detail; ta!

Au revoir, perhaps -

RdM.

RdM 04-04-2005 01:02 PM

Re: Computer Giveaway

: more monitors, and I had hardly looked at the printers; I went straight from
: a dot-matrix to a cast-off free mono laser, and wouldn't mind a colour inkj!

woops;- that was so for me just recently; I've now a cast-off colour laser
low on toners and finally a similiar inkjet; but my friend in the hills with
the 486 has also gone just from a dot-matrix to a BW laser similiarly;-

I'd love to see him with colour. He deserves it IMO; a sense of imagery.

You make do.