Velocity Reviews

-   -   Path to silence (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t574679-path-to-silence.html)

GraB 03-29-2005 04:19 PM

Path to silence

When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
purr or put the lid back on the PC.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 03-29-2005 07:56 PM

Re: Path to silence

GraB wrote:
> When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
> noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
> big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
> was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
> Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
> just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
> quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
> Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
> purr or put the lid back on the PC.

Personally I have gone the way of using a Zalman flower
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...dx=33&code=005

and in winter I need no fan, in summer I have it on, but turned down to
the lowest setting available... although Im in dunedin, so you may need
a fan all year if further north.

for video card I got a Zalman ZM80D-HP
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...x=138&code=013
now this I would not go without, it is amazing.

Chris Wilkinson 03-30-2005 01:59 AM

Re: Path to silence

Hi there,

GraB wrote:
> When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
> noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
> big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
> was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
> Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
> just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
> quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
> Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
> purr or put the lid back on the PC.

The lid might help! :-)

If you don't need flashing lights or perspex side-covers try something
like an Antec Sonata Lifestyle case. I just threw an Athlon64 system
into one of those and its the quietest PC I've experienced by far. From
6 feet away you need to check the screen or the power LED to know that
its running...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Software patents are killing our freedom, STOP THEM NOW!

GraB 03-30-2005 04:17 AM

Re: Path to silence

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:59:34 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
<blobster@SPAMOFF.con> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>GraB wrote:
>> When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
>> noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
>> big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
>> was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
>> Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
>> just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
>> quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
>> Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
>> purr or put the lid back on the PC.

>The lid might help! :-)
>
>If you don't need flashing lights or perspex side-covers try something
>like an Antec Sonata Lifestyle case. I just threw an Athlon64 system
>into one of those and its the quietest PC I've experienced by far. From
>6 feet away you need to check the screen or the power LED to know that
>its running...

Actually I am quibbling. I used to be able to hear the PC from
another room, but now when I walk into the same room I have to look to
see if it is on. Once I switched it off thinking I was switching it
on (blank screen saver)! I will be putting the lid on as soon as I am
finished this upgrade cycle. Next an Audigy2 ZS soundcard and a
second smaller drive, 40-80Gig, upgrade the ATI Radeon 7500 video
card to a 9600 with passive heatsink, a few rounded cables and I am
done.

GraB 03-30-2005 04:30 AM

Re: Path to silence

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:56:35 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>> When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
>> noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
>> big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
>> was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
>> Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
>> just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
>> quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
>> Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
>> purr or put the lid back on the PC.

>Personally I have gone the way of using a Zalman flower
>http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...dx=33&code=005
>
>and in winter I need no fan, in summer I have it on, but turned down to
>the lowest setting available... although Im in dunedin, so you may need
>a fan all year if further north.
>
>for video card I got a Zalman ZM80D-HP
>http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...x=138&code=013
>now this I would not go without, it is amazing.

The one I was thinking of, which would be plenty good enough for the
Radeon 7500 or 9600 is
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...x=114&code=013

Some Radeon 9600s come with passive heatsinks but not as good as this.

H C E 03-31-2005 03:30 AM

Re: Path to silence

On , , Wed, 30 Mar 2005 04:19:43 +1200, Path to silence, GraB
<grab@whatever.com> wrote:

>When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
>noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
>big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
>was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
>Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
>just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
>quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
>Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
>purr or put the lid back on the PC.

Why do you have the lid off the PC?

GraB 03-31-2005 05:52 AM

Re: Path to silence

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:30:28 +1200, H C E <hce@finnegans.wake.jj>
wrote:

>On , , Wed, 30 Mar 2005 04:19:43 +1200, Path to silence, GraB
><grab@whatever.com> wrote:
>
>>When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
>>noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
>>big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
>>was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
>>Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
>>just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
>>quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
>>Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
>>purr or put the lid back on the PC.

>Why do you have the lid off the PC?

Continuing incremental upgrades. Still four or five more items to go
before I am finished upgrades on this particular PC. Also, used to
have noisy fan that needed attention periodically.

Chris Wilkinson 03-31-2005 11:26 AM

Re: Path to silence

Hi there,

GraB wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:59:34 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
> <blobster@SPAMOFF.con> wrote:
>

>>Hi there,
>>
>>GraB wrote:
>>
>>>When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
>>>noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
>>>big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
>>>was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
>>>Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
>>>just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
>>>quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
>>>Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
>>>purr or put the lid back on the PC.

>>The lid might help! :-)
>>
>>If you don't need flashing lights or perspex side-covers try something
>>like an Antec Sonata Lifestyle case. I just threw an Athlon64 system
>>into one of those and its the quietest PC I've experienced by far. From
>>6 feet away you need to check the screen or the power LED to know that
>>its running...

> Actually I am quibbling. I used to be able to hear the PC from
> another room, but now when I walk into the same room I have to look to
> see if it is on. Once I switched it off thinking I was switching it
> on (blank screen saver)! I will be putting the lid on as soon as I am
> finished this upgrade cycle. Next an Audigy2 ZS soundcard and a
> second smaller drive, 40-80Gig, upgrade the ATI Radeon 7500 video
> card to a 9600 with passive heatsink, a few rounded cables and I am
> done.

Nice. should be a reasonable performer with the 9600, and quiet to boot!