Velocity Reviews

-   -   Treo 650 Vodafone or Telecom?| (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t574652-treo-650-vodafone-or-telecom.html)

Peter 03-27-2005 03:46 AM

Treo 650 Vodafone or Telecom?|

Hi

The Treo 650 has caught my attention as a great business tool. If I bought
this Cellphone who wold I be best going to . Vodafone or Telecom?

Cheers Peter

Richard 03-27-2005 05:29 AM

Re: Treo 650 Vodafone or Telecom?|

Peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> The Treo 650 has caught my attention as a great business tool. If I bought
> this Cellphone who wold I be best going to . Vodafone or Telecom?

In my dealings with both in a business situation, I would say telecom, but I
dont know if they treat small businesses as well as big ones, so perhaps someone
with a small business plan with telecom can say if they are as bad as vodafone
about buck passing.

Mauricio Freitas 03-27-2005 05:39 AM

"Richard" <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:42464589$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> Peter wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> The Treo 650 has caught my attention as a great business tool. If I
>> bought this Cellphone who wold I be best going to . Vodafone or Telecom?

> In my dealings with both in a business situation, I would say telecom, but
> I dont know if they treat small businesses as well as big ones, so perhaps
> someone with a small business plan with telecom can say if they are as bad
> as vodafone about buck passing.

If you're comfortable with Palm OS that is a good device - single hand
operation, etc. But if you need faster connections, and an easier
synchronisation with Exchange Server then you should consider the TNZ
Harrier (Pocket PC Phone Edition).

While the Treo 650 on GPRS will not go faster than 42Kbps, I've used the
Harrier in Wellington, Auckland and Taupo with speeds between 500~600 Kbps,
with 1Mbps peaks. Yep, faster than some DSL connections people have at home.
Of course there's the cost - but if this is a business tool we have to
balance this with the return in terms of agility, etc. Mobility should not
be a burden, but an investment.

Also, if you travel overseas, the Treo 650 may be easier for roaming,
although at $30/MByte that Vodafone charges on GPRS when overseas, I'd say
stick to using a laptop with wireless LAN in the hotel or a hotspot - I have
an account with T-Mobile, and you can use it in almost every other country
when travelling - in the US any Starbucks will have T-Mobile hotspot, and
McDonald's in Australia have T-Mobile access through roaming on Telstra
Hotspots). Or Boingo Wireless (only one in NZ - Dorothy's in WGTN, but some
in Australia).

http://www.geekzone.co.nz

ChrisOD 03-27-2005 09:46 AM

In article <424646e7$1@clear.net.nz>, Mauricio Freitas wrote:
> "Richard" <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:42464589$1_2@127.0.0.1...
>> Peter wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> The Treo 650 has caught my attention as a great business tool. If I
>>> bought this Cellphone who wold I be best going to . Vodafone or Telecom?

>> In my dealings with both in a business situation, I would say telecom, but
>> I dont know if they treat small businesses as well as big ones, so perhaps
>> someone with a small business plan with telecom can say if they are as bad
>> as vodafone about buck passing.
>>

> If you're comfortable with Palm OS that is a good device - single hand
> operation, etc. But if you need faster connections, and an easier
> synchronisation with Exchange Server then you should consider the TNZ
> Harrier (Pocket PC Phone Edition).
>
> While the Treo 650 on GPRS will not go faster than 42Kbps, I've used the
> Harrier in Wellington, Auckland and Taupo with speeds between 500~600 Kbps,
> with 1Mbps peaks. Yep, faster than some DSL connections people have at home.
> Of course there's the cost - but if this is a business tool we have to
> balance this with the return in terms of agility, etc. Mobility should not
> be a burden, but an investment.
>
> Also, if you travel overseas, the Treo 650 may be easier for roaming,
> although at $30/MByte that Vodafone charges on GPRS when overseas, I'd say
> stick to using a laptop with wireless LAN in the hotel or a hotspot - I have
> an account with T-Mobile, and you can use it in almost every other country
> when travelling - in the US any Starbucks will have T-Mobile hotspot, and
> McDonald's in Australia have T-Mobile access through roaming on Telstra
> Hotspots). Or Boingo Wireless (only one in NZ - Dorothy's in WGTN, but some
> in Australia).

I too like the windows phones as a business tool, but prefer the vodafone
version (i-mate PDA2k) same as the T3G Harrier but triband GSM + GPRS and
it has WiFi so I use pocket Skype at home or abroad. Yes the GPRS roaming
is not cheap but I tend to sync over WiFi overseas and the voice roaming
is great.