Velocity Reviews

-   -   Networking issues (Again) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t574389-networking-issues-again.html)

GJ 03-05-2005 08:35 PM

Networking issues (Again)

I still have networking issues on one of my PC's. I have just discovered
I cannot ping localhost or 127.0.0.1

The MB is MSI with onboard LAN.

What should be my next step to try and fix.

GJ

Shane (aka froggy) 03-05-2005 08:55 PM

Re: Networking issues (Again)

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 09:35:59 +1300, GJ wrote:

> I still have networking issues on one of my PC's. I have just discovered
> I cannot ping localhost or 127.0.0.1
>
> The MB is MSI with onboard LAN.
>
> What should be my next step to try and fix.
>
> GJ

You're kidding right?
What OS was the machine running?
How long has this problem existed? (ie. since install.. since an event..
or recently for no reason at all)
Not being able to ping 127.0.0.1 or localhost normally means the TCP/IP
protocol stack hasnt been installed (properly)
Also give your drivers the once over

David Preece 03-05-2005 09:04 PM

Re: Networking issues (Again)

Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
> Not being able to ping 127.0.0.1 or localhost normally means the TCP/IP
> protocol stack hasnt been installed (properly)

It's more likely that there's some overzealous firewalling going on.

Dave

Dave Taylor 03-05-2005 10:23 PM

Re: Networking issues (Again)

David Preece <davep@deletethis.zedkep.com> wrote in news:422a1ec3$1
@clear.net.nz:

> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>> Not being able to ping 127.0.0.1 or localhost normally means the TCP/IP
>> protocol stack hasnt been installed (properly)

> It's more likely that there's some overzealous firewalling going on.
>
> Dave

Or some LSP has borked.
OP, tell us your Operating System. If windows of some sort, look here for
info on how this happens usually.
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/
and
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/main-nf.htm

LSP fix is available here:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

--
Ciao, Dave

Gordon 03-06-2005 04:01 AM

Re: Networking issues (Again)

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 09:55:49 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 09:35:59 +1300, GJ wrote:
>
>> I still have networking issues on one of my PC's. I have just discovered
>> I cannot ping localhost or 127.0.0.1
>>
>> The MB is MSI with onboard LAN.
>>
>> What should be my next step to try and fix.
>>
>> GJ

> You're kidding right?
> What OS was the machine running?

Yeah! Gentle people there are several OS which are in fact capable of
networking.

Please always state one OS (platform) when asking questions such as this.
It does help.

GJ 03-06-2005 04:38 AM

Re: Networking issues (Again)

Sorry, a real newbie moment. Sorry for the lack of pertinent information

Windows XP SP1
Was running okay for a long time - 4 months with no issues
I have restored the system back 2 weeks and the problem persists
No firewall installed. Local network has firewall installed in front of
cable modem
Ran Spybot and Adaware and no results but definitions were 1 month out
of date
I have a home network with DHCP at 192.168.1.1
3 other PC's on the network have no issues including one laptop
connecting to the wireless access router with 4 port switch
I changed the network cable just in case. No change.

> Not being able to ping 127.0.0.1 or localhost normally means the TCP/IP
> protocol stack hasnt been installed (properly)

How do I restore the TCP/IP protocol stack?

What is the best methodology to debug networking (or lack of it) issues?

GJ

Shane (aka froggy) 03-06-2005 09:21 AM

Re: Networking issues (Again)

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:38:05 +1300, GJ wrote:

> Sorry, a real newbie moment. Sorry for the lack of pertinent information
>
> Windows XP SP1
> Was running okay for a long time - 4 months with no issues
> I have restored the system back 2 weeks and the problem persists
> No firewall installed. Local network has firewall installed in front of
> cable modem
> Ran Spybot and Adaware and no results but definitions were 1 month out
> of date
> I have a home network with DHCP at 192.168.1.1
> 3 other PC's on the network have no issues including one laptop
> connecting to the wireless access router with 4 port switch
> I changed the network cable just in case. No change.
>
> > Not being able to ping 127.0.0.1 or localhost normally means the TCP/IP
> > protocol stack hasnt been installed (properly)

> How do I restore the TCP/IP protocol stack?
>
> What is the best methodology to debug networking (or lack of it) issues?
>
> GJ

grr its XP (of which my knowledge has been shown to be lacking)
heh and its a can of worms (the problem not the OS [ dont want to start a
flame war here])
you want to check NICs' havent died (both ends of the
cable)
make sure no MAC's clash (unlikely as your network was up
previously)
make sure the drivers for your card are OK
treble check for Virus/Spyware (Id even go so far as to say swap out the
HDD with another to see if its Hardware or Software related.. or
use Knoppix or other Live CD/floppy etc)
if that machine comes out rosey and the OS checks out.. time to move on to
the DHCP server and treble check that hasnt been 'interfered' with
after all that take two aspirin and call me in the morning :-)
first job though is finding where the problem lies... then you can work on
fixing it
HTH

Impossible 03-08-2005 10:04 PM

Re: Networking issues (Again)

"GJ" <GJ@GJ.GJ> wrote in message news:422a892e$1@clear.net.nz...

> How do I restore the TCP/IP protocol stack?

Have a look here: