Velocity Reviews

-   -   WinXP network problems (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t574327-winxp-network-problems.html)

Evans Leung 02-28-2005 11:58 AM

WinXP network problems

I have a WinXP Pro laptop at work experiencing some network problems, the
machine can logon to the domain, run our CRM software, print / browse the
internet fine, receive and send emails ok.

BUT when I try to ping the machine, it doesn't respond to ping, also the
remote desktop doesn't work. SP2 was installed so I checked the firewall
settings, it was on so i turned it off, still no luck.

tried Microsoft support website, reset the tcp/ip stack, still no luck,
tried delete the network adaptor and add it back, no luck, and there are no
updated drivers (the laptop is using a Inter Pro / 100m mobile connection).

I don't think it's the firewall problem as i couldn't find any entries in
the firewall log (c:\windows\pfirewall.log), if anyone could shed some light
I would really appreciate.

Cheers,
Evans

Bok 02-28-2005 12:12 PM

Re: WinXP network problems

Evans Leung wrote:
> I have a WinXP Pro laptop at work experiencing some network problems, the
> machine can logon to the domain, run our CRM software, print / browse the
> internet fine, receive and send emails ok.
>
> BUT when I try to ping the machine, it doesn't respond to ping, also the
> remote desktop doesn't work. SP2 was installed so I checked the firewall
> settings, it was on so i turned it off, still no luck.

You need to provide more information. To start with:

Where in the network is the machine that you are trying to ping your
laptop from or connect to your laptop with remote desktop? The other
device isn't outside the corporate firewall by any chance?

It might help to provide the IP address of your laptop and the IP
address of the device you are using to ping the laptop. We can then take
a guess at the network topology and go from there.

evans_leung@hotmail.com 02-28-2005 07:07 PM

Re: WinXP network problems

> You need to provide more information. To start with:
> Where in the network is the machine that you are trying to ping your
> laptop from or connect to your laptop with remote desktop? The other
> device isn't outside the corporate firewall by any chance?

all the other desktops in the same domain, within the firewall.

> It might help to provide the IP address of your laptop and the IP
> address of the device you are using to ping the laptop. We can then

take
> a guess at the network topology and go from there.

10.9.100.x is the IP range that we are using here.

Evans

Daniel 02-28-2005 07:57 PM

Re: WinXP network problems

Evans Leung wrote:

> BUT when I try to ping the machine, it doesn't respond to ping, also the
> remote desktop doesn't work. SP2 was installed so I checked the firewall
> settings, it was on so i turned it off, still no luck.

Check if ICS is enabled on the laptop and disable it if it is, sounds
like a similar problem we once had.

As for the pings not working... strange. Are your ipconfig settings
consistent with the subnet your on?

evans_leung@hotmail.com 02-28-2005 08:02 PM

Re: WinXP network problems

ICS is not enabled and the ipconfig is consistent with others in the
subnet (we use DHCP).

One other strange thing is the laptop can't VPN into our Microsoft ISA
server (either from jetstream or dialup).

Daniel 02-28-2005 08:18 PM

Re: WinXP network problems

evans_leung@hotmail.com wrote:
> ICS is not enabled and the ipconfig is consistent with others in the
> subnet (we use DHCP).
>
> One other strange thing is the laptop can't VPN into our Microsoft ISA
> server (either from jetstream or dialup).

Very odd.

So when you ping the the laptop IP address (not the hostname), it
doesn't come back?

If not, then it could be anything. When we upgraded our servers a while
back, everyone with Windows who was using a Realtek card had to get the
latest driver (but, everyone else who was on Linux, or BSD was fine).

Can you run tracepath (or similar Windows equivalent, I guess traceroute
would be the closest) from another host to your laptop.

Apart from that I have no idea?

If you can get to your laptop, but still can't ping, try running nmap on
it to see what ports are open.

Peter Huebner 02-28-2005 09:54 PM

Re: WinXP network problems

In article <42230762@clear.net.nz>, evans_leung@hotmail.com says...
> I have a WinXP Pro laptop at work experiencing some network problems, the
> machine can logon to the domain, run our CRM software, print / browse the
> internet fine, receive and send emails ok.
>
> BUT when I try to ping the machine, it doesn't respond to ping, also the
> remote desktop doesn't work. SP2 was installed so I checked the firewall
> settings, it was on so i turned it off, still no luck.
>
> tried Microsoft support website, reset the tcp/ip stack, still no luck,
> tried delete the network adaptor and add it back, no luck, and there are no
> updated drivers (the laptop is using a Inter Pro / 100m mobile connection).
>
> I don't think it's the firewall problem as i couldn't find any entries in
> the firewall log (c:\windows\pfirewall.log), if anyone could shed some light
> I would really appreciate.
>
> Cheers,
> Evans

You could try turning the security centre service off entirely. I had
the problem when I installed SP2, and configured the firewall to OFF, it
still interfered with my 3rd party firewall regardless and blocked part
of the lan traffic. After I turned if off at the service level, things
started working again.

Might not be your problem, but I h.t.h.

-Peter

evans_leung@hotmail.com 02-28-2005 10:13 PM

Re: WinXP network problems

tried but the laptop being on a domain the security center service is
not started.

thanks for the tips though.

Evans

SchoolTech 03-01-2005 08:46 AM

Re: WinXP network problems

In article <1109628780.906582.11640@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups. com> in
nz.comp on 28 Feb 2005 14:13:00 -0800, <evans_leung@hotmail.com> says...
> tried but the laptop being on a domain the security center service is
> not started.

There should still be a Security Center icon in the Control Panel with
the options to disable its various components.

If you are on a domain, you don't get the popup warnings unless a certain
setting in Group Policy is enabled. But you can still enable and disable
the various parts of the Security Center.

Bok 03-01-2005 08:58 AM

Re: WinXP network problems

Evans Leung wrote:
> I have a WinXP Pro laptop at work experiencing some network problems, the
> machine can logon to the domain, run our CRM software, print / browse the
> internet fine, receive and send emails ok.
>
> BUT when I try to ping the machine, it doesn't respond to ping, also the
> remote desktop doesn't work.

Remote desktop from or to your laptop?

I'll assume to your laptop. Have you enabled Remote Desktop connections
on the System Properties remote tab?

Assuming you have, type netstat -a from a command prompt. There should
be a listen on port 3389, which is the one used by the RDP protocol.

> I don't think it's the firewall problem as i couldn't find any entries in
> the firewall log (c:\windows\pfirewall.log), if anyone could shed some light
> I would really appreciate.

Issue the following commands from a cmd prompt:
netsh firewall show state
netsh firewall show icmpsetting

To ensure your firewall isn't blocking pings.