Velocity Reviews

-   -   warehouse dell laptops - anyone got one? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t573520-warehouse-dell-laptops-anyone-got-one.html)

Dave - Dave.net.nz 01-04-2005 09:59 AM

warehouse dell laptops - anyone got one?

Just after a cheapy laptop for the mrs, I've checked it out on the dell
website, where it is ~$150 dearer for a slower processor, but they give
you the option of getting a second battery, which Im assuming(not having
any more details on it) is one of those CD-drive batteries.

now this is a handy thing if it is(having spare ones sitting at work),
but not being able to confirm it is a PITA to say the least...

so can anyone confirm it?

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is dave@the.domain.above

froggy 01-04-2005 07:33 PM

Re: warehouse dell laptops - anyone got one?

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:59:00 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Just after a cheapy laptop for the mrs, I've checked it out on the dell
> website, where it is ~$150 dearer for a slower processor, but they give
> you the option of getting a second battery, which Im assuming(not having
> any more details on it) is one of those CD-drive batteries.
>
> now this is a handy thing if it is(having spare ones sitting at work),
> but not being able to confirm it is a PITA to say the least...
>
> so can anyone confirm it?

just a thought.. but harvey norman are having a sale.. 2 years int free..
2 years deferred or something along those lines ( this includes PC's and
Notebooks ) i went and had a look at our local Harvey Norman.. and there
is a note book priced @ $1900 although i cant remember the specs for the
life of me..
anyway.. its just another option
HTH

--
If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives, then you will be
afraid to cough.

JJD 01-04-2005 09:09 PM

Re: warehouse dell laptops - anyone got one?

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:33:37 +0000, froggy
<spamspamuber.l33t.god@spamgmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:59:00 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> Just after a cheapy laptop for the mrs, I've checked it out on the dell
>> website, where it is ~$150 dearer for a slower processor, but they give
>> you the option of getting a second battery, which Im assuming(not having
>> any more details on it) is one of those CD-drive batteries.
>>
>> now this is a handy thing if it is(having spare ones sitting at work),
>> but not being able to confirm it is a PITA to say the least...
>>
>> so can anyone confirm it?

>just a thought.. but harvey norman are having a sale.. 2 years int free..
>2 years deferred or something along those lines ( this includes PC's and
>Notebooks ) i went and had a look at our local Harvey Norman.. and there
>is a note book priced @ $1900 although i cant remember the specs for the
>life of me..
>anyway.. its just another option

Harvey Norman's "sale", eh?

I was looking for a CMV 17" lcd screen and dropped into Harvey
Norman's to price it. Price Spy shows 17 outlets as pricing it below
$500 and two even pricing it below $400.

Harvey Norman had it in their sale with a huge $200 discount . . .
which left theirs priced at $1100. This means I can buy three of them
from, say, Advanced Computers in Auckland, for virtually the same
price as one from Harvey Norman. And Harvey Norman's was the analogue
only version. I'm still mulling over whether to snap up their $1100
bargain.

Incidentally, I bought the Dell laptop at Warehouse for $1260 and find
it excellent for the price. Dick Smith have an ACER 2302LC Notebook
for $1290. You have to look at an extra $100, or so, to add a bit of
RAM to these cheaper notebooks.

JJD

Dave - Dave.net.nz 01-04-2005 10:01 PM

JJD wrote:
> Incidentally, I bought the Dell laptop at Warehouse for $1260 and find
> it excellent for the price.

Does it have the removible CDRW drive that you can get the spare
batteries for?

JJD 01-05-2005 04:14 AM

Re: warehouse dell laptops - anyone got one?

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:01:48 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:

>JJD wrote:
>> Incidentally, I bought the Dell laptop at Warehouse for $1260 and find
>> it excellent for the price.

>Does it have the removible CDRW drive that you can get the spare
>batteries for?

No, I can't find a way of sliding it from a bay and the manual says
nothing about be able to do this.

This was one problem with buying from the Warehouse: the laptops were
in a sealed box and the shop is not allowed to open the boxes. The
staff have only the barest of promotional details and are unable to
help with questions. I simply wanted to know if it had USB and PCMCIA
slots, but finding out in the Warehouse was impossible. Even their
computer help desk in Auckland was unable to help. Pretty stupid,
really.

JJD

BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au 01-05-2005 05:48 AM

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:14:57 +1300, JJD <jefdrab@newsguy.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:01:48 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
><davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>JJD wrote:
>>> Incidentally, I bought the Dell laptop at Warehouse for $1260 and find
>>> it excellent for the price.

>>Does it have the removible CDRW drive that you can get the spare
>>batteries for?

>No, I can't find a way of sliding it from a bay and the manual says
>nothing about be able to do this.
>
>This was one problem with buying from the Warehouse: the laptops were
>in a sealed box and the shop is not allowed to open the boxes. The
>staff have only the barest of promotional details and are unable to
>help with questions. I simply wanted to know if it had USB and PCMCIA
>slots, but finding out in the Warehouse was impossible. Even their
>computer help desk in Auckland was unable to help. Pretty stupid,
>really.
>
>JJD

Get the Model Number and look it up..

Or Ring Dell.

Mind you its only a Crap Celeron CPU..

Dave - Dave.net.nz 01-05-2005 06:01 AM

BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote:
> Get the Model Number and look it up..

Inspiron 1150, and already have.

> Or Ring Dell.

already have, it is a model cut down for the warehouse, it only has
256MB ram, whereas the the 1150 availible from dell has 512, there are a
few other differences, but they are not aware of them at the helpdesk.

> Mind you its only a Crap Celeron CPU..

a crap celeron that will be used for office style work, so maybe word
will take 0.002 seconds longer due to having less cache but will it
reall... WTF, Im replying to Roger.. gah..

JJD 01-05-2005 06:38 AM

Re: warehouse dell laptops - anyone got one?

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:48:31 +1300, BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au
wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:14:57 +1300, JJD <jefdrab@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:01:48 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
>><davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Does it have the removible CDRW drive that you can get the spare
>>>batteries for?

>>No, I can't find a way of sliding it from a bay and the manual says
>>nothing about be able to do this.
>>
>>This was one problem with buying from the Warehouse: the laptops were
>>in a sealed box and the shop is not allowed to open the boxes. The
>>staff have only the barest of promotional details and are unable to
>>help with questions. I simply wanted to know if it had USB and PCMCIA
>>slots, but finding out in the Warehouse was impossible. Even their
>>computer help desk in Auckland was unable to help. Pretty stupid,
>>really.
>>
>>JJD

>Get the Model Number and look it up..
>
>Or Ring Dell.
>
>Mind you its only a Crap Celeron CPU..

.. . . <snore> . . . zzzzzzzzz

JJD

mark 01-05-2005 09:06 AM

Re: warehouse dell laptops - anyone got one?

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote in news:341e68F45e4buU1
@individual.net:

> BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote:
>> Get the Model Number and look it up..

> Inspiron 1150, and already have.
>
>> Or Ring Dell.

> already have, it is a model cut down for the warehouse, it only has
> 256MB ram, whereas the the 1150 availible from dell has 512, there are a
> few other differences, but they are not aware of them at the helpdesk.
>
>> Mind you its only a Crap Celeron CPU..

> a crap celeron that will be used for office style work, so maybe word
> will take 0.002 seconds longer due to having less cache but will it
> reall... WTF, Im replying to Roger.. gah..

He has changed IP address reasonably recently - just re-added his new one
into my filters. Ahhhhh.... the bliss of a Woger-less newsgroup.

Owly 01-05-2005 09:45 AM

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Just after a cheapy laptop for the mrs, I've checked it out on the dell
> website, where it is ~$150 dearer for a slower processor, but they give
> you the option of getting a second battery, which Im assuming(not having
> any more details on it) is one of those CD-drive batteries.
>
> now this is a handy thing if it is(having spare ones sitting at work),
> but not being able to confirm it is a PITA to say the least...
>
> so can anyone confirm it?
>
> --
> Dave.net.nz
> reply addy is dave@the.domain.above
> nice! http://www.dave.net.nz/images/link.jpg

If the DSE deal for an Acer Travelmate 2302LC is still available it is
likely to be
your best bet at $1290 inc GST.
The reason being that the processor is a celeron mobile rather than a
desktop
celeron as is featured in the Dell option.
This means you will get far superior battery life by default and it is
highly unlikely
that the spare battery in the Dell option is the kind that goes into a
multibay,
ie. giving you the ability to remove the optical drive and replace it with a
battery or
hard drive. This ability is in my experience is only available in higher end
models
regardless of brand.
If the laptop is only going to be used for basic office functions/web
surfing etc
then the DSE option is excellent value for money giving you current laptop
technology
as well as local support long after your Dell warranty runs out.
This of course is just my 2c worth. :)

Cheers

Owly.