Velocity Reviews

-   -   printed docs bloat to ~5x the size (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t573291-printed-docs-bloat-to-5x-the-size.html)

Dave - Dave.net.nz 12-13-2004 09:47 PM

printed docs bloat to ~5x the size

Can anyone explain in simple(laymans) terms, why an 88KByte word doc
when printing becomes 4.34MByte print job, and others same size or
bigger, dont, and remain as ~90Kbyte print jobs?

Southern Kiwi 12-13-2004 09:48 PM

Re: printed docs bloat to ~5x the size

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone explain in simple(laymans) terms, why an 88KByte word doc
> when printing becomes 4.34MByte print job, and others same size or
> bigger, dont, and remain as ~90Kbyte print jobs?

It's/Your not trying to print it as an image?

EMB 12-13-2004 09:48 PM

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Can anyone explain in simple(laymans) terms, why an 88KByte word doc
> when printing becomes 4.34MByte print job, and others same size or
> bigger, dont, and remain as ~90Kbyte print jobs?

Is it using some bizarre font that isn't native to the printer and thus
has to be downloaded?

--
EMB

Dave - Dave.net.nz 12-13-2004 09:59 PM

Southern Kiwi wrote:
>>Can anyone explain in simple(laymans) terms, why an 88KByte word doc
>>when printing becomes 4.34MByte print job, and others same size or
>>bigger, dont, and remain as ~90Kbyte print jobs?

> It's/Your not trying to print it as an image?

not as far as I know, but it's not really my area, but Im having a look
anyway.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 12-13-2004 10:12 PM

EMB wrote:
>> Can anyone explain in simple(laymans) terms, why an 88KByte word doc
>> when printing becomes 4.34MByte print job, and others same size or
>> bigger, dont, and remain as ~90Kbyte print jobs?

> Is it using some bizarre font that isn't native to the printer and thus
> has to be downloaded?

All printers are set to replace with device font.
With the document set to Times New Roman, it is *only* 3.42MB, Arial it
is 3.78MB.

I know this may sound like an odd querie, but when users complain that
it takes 12-15 mins for a print job, I get roped in to "fix" it, even if
it is their own stupid fault anyway.

Adder 12-13-2004 10:31 PM

Re: printed docs bloat to ~5x the size

In article <326gutF3j0btlU1@individual.net> in nz.comp on Tue, 14 Dec
2004 10:47:07 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <davenetnz@gmail.com> says...
> Can anyone explain in simple(laymans) terms, why an 88KByte word doc
> when printing becomes 4.34MByte print job, and others same size or
> bigger, dont, and remain as ~90Kbyte print jobs?

contains a compressed image expanded to bitmap on printing at a guess

Dave - Dave.net.nz 12-13-2004 10:58 PM

Adder wrote:
>>Can anyone explain in simple(laymans) terms, why an 88KByte word doc
>>when printing becomes 4.34MByte print job, and others same size or
>>bigger, dont, and remain as ~90Kbyte print jobs?

> contains a compressed image expanded to bitmap on printing at a guess

well that might do it, it has three small images in the header of the
document, although that wouldn't explain why it changes it size so much
with a font change.

either way I "fixed" it better...
I corrected the duplex mismatch on the printer port, so now the docs fly
through fine as. :)

steven 12-13-2004 11:12 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:47:07 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Can anyone explain in simple(laymans) terms, why an 88KByte word doc
> when printing becomes 4.34MByte print job, and others same size or
> bigger, dont, and remain as ~90Kbyte print jobs?

lol that is nothing,

a few weeks ago when BIT students were finishing off their third year
projects some sick bastard decided to print off a ~ 90mb graphic from the
colour lazer printer that was installed in our project room.

This is while everybody was trying to print off their ~ 500 page 'baseline
project plan' at the same time.

nontherless people were wondering why nothing was coming out of the colour
lazer, it was just sitting there flashing 'data', one of the techies had a
flash of insperation and had a look at the printers que. he promptly purged
the 90mb graphic from the que.

after two weeks of the project room stinking of the smell that eminates
from lazer printers, several dozen reams of paper, several colour & b/w
printer toner refills later i found out we managed to chew threw about 3
grand in two weeks - just on bpp printouts.

--
-------------------------------------
Steven H (.net geek)

Dave - Dave.net.nz 12-13-2004 11:31 PM

steven wrote:
>>Can anyone explain in simple(laymans) terms, why an 88KByte word doc
>>when printing becomes 4.34MByte print job, and others same size or
>>bigger, dont, and remain as ~90Kbyte print jobs?

> lol that is nothing,

to you, yes, to me, yes, to the end user waiting for it to print, it is
a very big thing.

> a few weeks ago when BIT students were finishing off their third year
> projects some sick bastard decided to print off a ~ 90mb graphic from the
> colour lazer printer that was installed in our project room.

ahhh, the joys of having really big printers with heaps of memory
available, you just don't get sick of it.

> nontherless people were wondering why nothing was coming out of the colour
> lazer, it was just sitting there flashing 'data', one of the techies had a
> flash of insperation and had a look at the printers que. he promptly purged
> the 90mb graphic from the que.

technical people are sometimes the last to look at the obvious things,
usually because "their gear always works flawlessly", and so they assume
it must be broken.

> after two weeks of the project room stinking of the smell that eminates
> from lazer printers, several dozen reams of paper, several colour & b/w
> printer toner refills later i found out we managed to chew threw about 3
> grand in two weeks - just on bpp printouts.

Joy... I bet the finance dept loved that one.

Collector»NZ 12-14-2004 12:25 AM

Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 14/12/2004 10:47 a.m.:
> Can anyone explain in simple(laymans) terms, why an 88KByte word doc
> when printing becomes 4.34MByte print job, and others same size or
> bigger, dont, and remain as ~90Kbyte print jobs?

If the print job contains *objects* which the print engine cannot send
as printer recognized language then it renders it to a *bitmap* for the
printer. This bloat is very common in Kyrocera drivers and some other
lesser known laser printers.
*objects* can be layout controls, images, fonts and many other obscure
items such as page designations etc.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.