Velocity Reviews

-   -   Xandros 3.0 Linux: so far so good. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t573283-xandros-3-0-linux-so-far-so-good.html)

steve 12-12-2004 10:07 AM

Xandros 3.0 Linux: so far so good.

I have just installed the latest version of Xandros Linux: V3.0

The biggest item on my happy-chappy list is that is automatically recognised
my Epson 1670 USB scanner....and it works perfectly with the "Kooka"
scanner and OCR software included with the KDE desktop (3.3.0)in Xandros.

The previous version, Xandros 2.0, saw the scanner via USB....but had no
idea what to do to make it work....and I just didn't have time to fiddle
with all the config details required in the HOWTO for that scanner make /
model.

Now if I can get the cheapo DSE wireless PCI card working with the 2.6.9
kernel included in Xandros 3.0.....I'll be happy.

I've had earlier versions of the driver working with Xandros 2.0 and kernel
2.4.24-x1, but the driver wasn't stable.......and the people who have been
fixing the GPL'd version of the driver are focusing on the 2.6.x
kernels......

The Windows networking and NFS work fine via the File Manager.....and I note
the File Manager now automatically detects and configures DVD writers...

It all seems to be there....and the benefit of a distro like this one is
that the "out-of-box" experience is pretty damned good......in fact,
perfect (so far).

--
Distributed Computing Projects:
SETI at Home

Collector>>NZ 12-12-2004 10:12 AM

Re: Xandros 3.0 Linux: so far so good.

steve wrote:
> I have just installed the latest version of Xandros Linux: V3.0
>
> The biggest item on my happy-chappy list is that is automatically recognised
> my Epson 1670 USB scanner....and it works perfectly with the "Kooka"
> scanner and OCR software included with the KDE desktop (3.3.0)in Xandros.
>
> The previous version, Xandros 2.0, saw the scanner via USB....but had no
> idea what to do to make it work....and I just didn't have time to fiddle
> with all the config details required in the HOWTO for that scanner make /
> model.
>
> Now if I can get the cheapo DSE wireless PCI card working with the 2.6.9
> kernel included in Xandros 3.0.....I'll be happy.
>
> I've had earlier versions of the driver working with Xandros 2.0 and kernel
> 2.4.24-x1, but the driver wasn't stable.......and the people who have been
> fixing the GPL'd version of the driver are focusing on the 2.6.x
> kernels......
>
> The Windows networking and NFS work fine via the File Manager.....and I note
> the File Manager now automatically detects and configures DVD writers...
>
> It all seems to be there....and the benefit of a distro like this one is
> that the "out-of-box" experience is pretty damned good......in fact,
> perfect (so far).

I am looking foward to when I can score a copy to play with. I was very
happy with 2.0 OR so i am expecting this to be an advance on that.

Enkidu 12-12-2004 10:06 PM

Re: Xandros 3.0 Linux: so far so good.

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:07:17 +1300, steve
<steve@readevenmoretoday2.org.nz> wrote:

>I have just installed the latest version of Xandros Linux: V3.0
>
>The biggest item on my happy-chappy list is that is automatically recognised
>my Epson 1670 USB scanner....and it works perfectly with the "Kooka"
>scanner and OCR software included with the KDE desktop (3.3.0)in Xandros.
>
>The previous version, Xandros 2.0, saw the scanner via USB....but had no
>idea what to do to make it work....and I just didn't have time to fiddle
>with all the config details required in the HOWTO for that scanner make /
>model.
>
>Now if I can get the cheapo DSE wireless PCI card working with the 2.6.9
>kernel included in Xandros 3.0.....I'll be happy.
>
>I've had earlier versions of the driver working with Xandros 2.0 and kernel
>2.4.24-x1, but the driver wasn't stable.......and the people who have been
>fixing the GPL'd version of the driver are focusing on the 2.6.x
>kernels......
>
>The Windows networking and NFS work fine via the File Manager.....and I note
>the File Manager now automatically detects and configures DVD writers...
>
>It all seems to be there....and the benefit of a distro like this one is
>that the "out-of-box" experience is pretty damned good......in fact,
>perfect (so far).

Steve,

I think that you would be happier running Windows. If what you want is
an "out-of-the-box" experience then Windows is a better choice than
Linux. You will not have to fiddle with stuff to make it work, which
should make you happy, and you have a built-in support structure in
WindowsUpdate which downloads any needed patches for you! And in
addition you can phone Microsoft support for help! If you want to chat
to other Windows users, there are numerous newsgroups and mailing
lists where enthusiasts provide mutual support and often you can solve
your problems simply by asking! And as you become more at home with
Windows, you could possible help other new Windows users with their
problems.

Cheers,

Cliff

{Microsoft MVP - Directory Services}

--

The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

Dave - Dave.net.nz 12-12-2004 10:19 PM

Enkidu wrote:
>>It all seems to be there....and the benefit of a distro like this one is
>>that the "out-of-box" experience is pretty damned good......in fact,
>>perfect (so far).

> I think that you would be happier running Windows.

willing to be corrected, but I think he has 5 machines, all needing
office from memory, so that could be kinda expensive.

Alex Axolotl 12-12-2004 10:42 PM

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Enkidu wrote:
>
>>> It all seems to be there....and the benefit of a distro like this one is
>>> that the "out-of-box" experience is pretty damned good......in fact,
>>> perfect (so far).

>> I think that you would be happier running Windows.

> willing to be corrected, but I think he has 5 machines, all needing
> office from memory, so that could be kinda expensive.

Theres bait on that hook ;-)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 12-13-2004 12:23 AM

Re: Xandros 3.0 Linux: so far so good.

In article <8rfpr0l043e4ka36rnh99kma989u43mnds@4ax.com>,
Enkidu <enkidu@cliffp.com> wrote:

>You will not have to fiddle with stuff to make it work...

And no need to download a continual stream of virus and security
updates, and no fear of your machine being turned into a zombie for DDOS
attacks, or of your Web browser, e-mail client or office software being
used as weapons against you, and no worries about having to re-authorize
the software if you change your hardware configuration, or having to
worry about licences for additional machines?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 12-13-2004 12:24 AM

Re: Xandros 3.0 Linux: so far so good.

In article <322jglF3hm8jqU1@individual.net>,
steve <steve@readevenmoretoday2.org.nz> wrote:

>I've had earlier versions of the driver working with Xandros 2.0 and kernel
>2.4.24-x1, but the driver wasn't stable.......and the people who have been
>fixing the GPL'd version of the driver are focusing on the 2.6.x
>kernels......

So why not use a 2.6.x kernel? I think these also have better hotplug
support.

Enkidu 12-13-2004 08:19 AM

Re: Xandros 3.0 Linux: so far so good.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:19:29 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:

>Enkidu wrote:
>>>It all seems to be there....and the benefit of a distro like this one is
>>>that the "out-of-box" experience is pretty damned good......in fact,
>>>perfect (so far).

>> I think that you would be happier running Windows.

>willing to be corrected, but I think he has 5 machines, all needing
>office from memory, so that could be kinda expensive.

Can you spell "satire"? Although it is true that I am a MS MVP, I also
run and work with Linux. Majorly, actually. I know that Steve's
reaction to everything Microsoft is "Install Linux!". I was poking
gentle fun at his anti-MS bigotry.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu 12-13-2004 08:22 AM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:30:39 +1300, Bret <at@at.corn> wrote:

>Enkidu wrote:
>>
>> I think that you would be happier running Windows. If what you want is
>> an "out-of-the-box" experience then Windows is a better choice than
>> Linux. You will not have to fiddle with stuff to make it work, which
>> should make you happy, and you have a built-in support structure in
>> WindowsUpdate which downloads any needed patches for you! And in
>> addition you can phone Microsoft support for help! If you want to chat
>> to other Windows users, there are numerous newsgroups and mailing
>> lists where enthusiasts provide mutual support and often you can solve
>> your problems simply by asking! And as you become more at home with
>> Windows, you could possible help other new Windows users with their
>> problems.
>>

>You should try Xandros Cliff, everything you are saying is not applicable to
>Xandros.

Nah, I prefer my Debian-built-from-three-floppies systems....

Cheers,

Cliff

AD. 12-13-2004 07:26 PM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:22:04 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

>>You should try Xandros Cliff, everything you are saying is not applicable
>>to Xandros.
>>

> Nah, I prefer my Debian-built-from-three-floppies systems....

You could at least use the CD version of those 3 floppies :)

With my Debian installs, I tended to need the 4 driver floppies as well
for the network cards. The CD was much quicker - no changing disks.

Anyway, just a curiosity question for the Directory Services MVP (is this
a recent development? or have you just been keeping quiet), have you
done much in the way of getting Active Directory and OpenLDAP/Kerberos etc
interoperating with each other? On Debian would also be useful to know.

I think that will be one of my big projects for the new year.

Cheers
Anton