Velocity Reviews

-   -   Telstra Cable Outage (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t573232-telstra-cable-outage.html)

nick 12-07-2004 09:24 AM

Telstra Cable Outage

Telstraclear cable in Wellington has been down since around 1630 today, both
Internet and TV.
Thats 6 hours ago, don't they have any backup !!!!
Anyone know what is going on and when service is likely to be restored

Aspiringpsychopath 12-07-2004 09:37 AM

Re: Telstra Cable Outage

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:24:19 +1300, "nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Telstraclear cable in Wellington has been down since around 1630 today, both
>Internet and TV.
>Thats 6 hours ago, don't they have any backup !!!!
>Anyone know what is going on and when service is likely to be restored

If the power goes then it goes, they power it of the same power as your
house.

Get over it..

nick 12-07-2004 09:48 AM

Re: Telstra Cable Outage

Aspiringpsychopath wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:24:19 +1300, "nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Telstraclear cable in Wellington has been down since around 1630
>> today, both Internet and TV.
>> Thats 6 hours ago, don't they have any backup !!!!
>> Anyone know what is going on and when service is likely to be
>> restored
>>

> If the power goes then it goes, they power it of the same power as
> your house.
>

> Get over it..

My house power is working fine woger
Its a pack of lies, any telco like Telstra should have backup power to run
their network.
Be warned that this is the sort of service you can expect when paradise
cable carks up your way.
Telstra have bought it and run it down as expected.

Invisible 12-07-2004 10:08 AM

Re: Telstra Cable Outage

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:37:59 +1300, Aspiringpsychopath
<a@nuthouse.com> wrote:

Aspiring psycho? Nah, you're ALREADY there pal.

Aspiringpsychopath 12-07-2004 10:22 AM

Re: Telstra Cable Outage

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:48:32 +1300, "nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Aspiringpsychopath wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:24:19 +1300, "nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Telstraclear cable in Wellington has been down since around 1630
>>> today, both Internet and TV.
>>> Thats 6 hours ago, don't they have any backup !!!!
>>> Anyone know what is going on and when service is likely to be
>>> restored
>>>

>> If the power goes then it goes, they power it of the same power as
>> your house.
>>

>> Get over it..

>My house power is working fine woger
>Its a pack of lies, any telco like Telstra should have backup power to run
>their network.

That would mean rewiring all of Wellington, they get there power the same as
we do, they have cable repeaters every were and line driver boxes at the top
of each street, they get the same power as you do., it the power goes it will
shut down..

Why are you so Thick..?

nick 12-07-2004 10:34 AM

Re: Telstra Cable Outage

The ****ing power is WORKING you loooney old git

Dave Taylor 12-08-2004 10:09 AM

Re: Telstra Cable Outage

"nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in

> My house power is working fine woger
> Its a pack of lies, any telco like Telstra should have backup power to
> run their network.

I don't know if the setup is similar here, but in Vancouver the cable
system is on a low priority power network. They have batteries in the
repeater line amps, but if there is an extended outage to the low priority
power grid (in order keep the lights on in your house!) then the line amps
go down and cable goes out. Yes your tv can turn on, but there is no
signal. If you called and asked nicely to technicians on the support line,
you might or might not find out if the system where you live has a similar
setup. Obviously, power to the home is more important than power to the
cable infrastructure so in an outage, linesmen reconnect the priorities
first.

--
Ciao, Dave

Alex Axolotl 12-08-2004 11:02 AM

Re: Telstra Cable Outage

Dave Taylor wrote:

> "nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in
>

>>My house power is working fine woger
>>Its a pack of lies, any telco like Telstra should have backup power to
>>run their network.
>>

> I don't know if the setup is similar here, but in Vancouver the cable
> system is on a low priority power network. They have batteries in the
> repeater line amps, but if there is an extended outage to the low priority
> power grid (in order keep the lights on in your house!) then the line amps
> go down and cable goes out. Yes your tv can turn on, but there is no
> signal. If you called and asked nicely to technicians on the support line,
> you might or might not find out if the system where you live has a similar
> setup. Obviously, power to the home is more important than power to the
> cable infrastructure so in an outage, linesmen reconnect the priorities
> first.

There is no separate power network for the cable systems in Wellington.
They are locally powered, and the cable service was down in both
Brooklyn and Island Bay. The power wasn't interrupted, and is fed from
different substations.
Its more likely that the fiber network that feeds the cable head ends
was cut off.
Its unlikely that anyone would ever get to talk to a technician by
calling Telstra

Collector_NZ 12-08-2004 11:14 AM

Re: Telstra Cable Outage

Alex Axolotl said the following on 9/12/2004 00:02:
> Dave Taylor wrote:
>
>> "nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in
>>
>>> My house power is working fine woger
>>> Its a pack of lies, any telco like Telstra should have backup power to
>>> run their network.
>>>

>> I don't know if the setup is similar here, but in Vancouver the cable
>> system is on a low priority power network. They have batteries in the
>> repeater line amps, but if there is an extended outage to the low
>> priority power grid (in order keep the lights on in your house!) then
>> the line amps go down and cable goes out. Yes your tv can turn on,
>> but there is no signal. If you called and asked nicely to technicians
>> on the support line, you might or might not find out if the system
>> where you live has a similar setup. Obviously, power to the home is
>> more important than power to the cable infrastructure so in an outage,
>> linesmen reconnect the priorities first.
>>

> There is no separate power network for the cable systems in Wellington.
> They are locally powered, and the cable service was down in both
> Brooklyn and Island Bay. The power wasn't interrupted, and is fed from
> different substations.
> Its more likely that the fiber network that feeds the cable head ends
> was cut off.
> Its unlikely that anyone would ever get to talk to a technician by
> calling Telstra

Prophetic I think I mentioned something about Fibre and Backhoes the
other day !!!!

Dave Taylor 12-11-2004 08:52 AM

Re: Telstra Cable Outage

Collector_NZ <collector_nz@hotmail.com> wrote in news:31o61aF3dpd9nU1
@individual.net:

> Prophetic I think I mentioned something about Fibre and Backhoes the
> other day !!!!

Every techies nightmare, busted fibre...

--
Ciao, Dave