Velocity Reviews

-   -   Question for Linux Gurus (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t573101-question-for-linux-gurus.html)

Alex Axolotl 11-25-2004 02:07 PM

Re: Question for Linux Gurus

Darkside wrote:

> AD. wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:38:21 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
>>

>>>Being new to the dark side and just experimenting a bit I want to get my
>>>head around the various iterations of Linux out there. Now I see all
>>>sorts of names in relation to Linux, Free BSD, Redhat, Mandrake, Xandros,
>>>Knoppix etc, but how do they all relate to one another.

>> Feel free to ask more specific questions about certain distros if you
>> like.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Anton

> How do you dispose of an unresponsive app, the equivelent of windows
> task manager?

On your Launch menu it is Applications, System, Process Manager

Collector»NZ 11-26-2004 01:38 AM

Question for Linux Gurus

Being new to the dark side and just experimenting a bit I want to get my
head around the various iterations of Linux out there.
Now I see all sorts of names in relation to Linux, Free BSD, Redhat,
Mandrake, Xandros, Knoppix etc, but how do they all relate to one another.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.

Patrick Dunford 11-26-2004 01:44 AM

Re: Question for Linux Gurus

In article <30nfooF31kttvU1@uni-berlin.de> in nz.comp on Fri, 26 Nov 2004
14:38:21 +1300, Collector»NZ <collector_nz@hotmail.com> says...
> Being new to the dark side and just experimenting a bit I want to get my
> head around the various iterations of Linux out there.
> Now I see all sorts of names in relation to Linux, Free BSD, Redhat,
> Mandrake, Xandros, Knoppix etc, but how do they all relate to one another..

There are a few major distros (e.g. Debian) off which some of the others
are variants.

AD. 11-26-2004 02:00 AM

Re: Question for Linux Gurus

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:38:21 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

> Being new to the dark side and just experimenting a bit I want to get my
> head around the various iterations of Linux out there. Now I see all sorts
> of names in relation to Linux, Free BSD, Redhat, Mandrake, Xandros,
> Knoppix etc, but how do they all relate to one another.

All those you listed are distributions of Linux except for FreeBSD which
is a completely different operating system.

Linux is just the kernel. A distro will package up the kernel with an
installer and a bunch of other utilities eg command line shells, file
manipulation doodads, GUIs, updating and patching utilites etc. Each
distro has a slightly different purpose and aims at a different audience.

The kernel is pretty much useless without all the extra userland apps to
drive it.

A few years ago new distros tended to base themselves off Redhat (Mandrake
being the most notable) as a starting point. Mandrakes original theme was
a pentium compiled Redhat that bundled KDE.

More recently though, Debian seems to be the distro that all the new ones
are basing themselves off of - Knoppix, Ubuntu, Xandros(?) etc.

Personally I think the move to basing distros off Debian is a good one.

Alex Axolotl 11-26-2004 02:09 AM

Re: Question for Linux Gurus

BrianM 11-26-2004 02:16 AM

Re: Question for Linux Gurus

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:38:21 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

> Being new to the dark side and just experimenting a bit I want to get my
> head around the various iterations of Linux out there. Now I see all
> sorts of names in relation to Linux, Free BSD, Redhat, Mandrake,
> Xandros, Knoppix etc, but how do they all relate to one another.

There's a fair bit of info on this website

http://distrowatch.com/

cheers
BM

AD. 11-26-2004 03:09 AM

Re: Question for Linux Gurus

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:56:41 +1300, Darkside wrote:

> How do you dispose of an unresponsive app, the equivelent of windows task
> manager?

The ps command lists running processes, and the kill command can stop them.

As for GUI ways, that will depend on the GUI and what's available. eg
under KDE the System Monitor is pretty similar to Task Manager.

Cheers
Anton

Chris Hope 11-26-2004 03:38 AM

Re: Question for Linux Gurus

AD. wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:56:41 +1300, Darkside wrote:
>
>> How do you dispose of an unresponsive app, the equivelent of windows task
>> manager?

> The ps command lists running processes, and the kill command can stop
> them.
>
> As for GUI ways, that will depend on the GUI and what's available. eg
> under KDE the System Monitor is pretty similar to Task Manager.

On KDE you can also do Ctrl+Alt+Esc and the mouse pointer turns into a skull
and crossbones. Click that on the app and it kills it immediately.

The exact keyboard shortcut for this varies depending on the keyboard
shortcut scheme you've chosen and whether or not you've customised them,
but this is the KDE default. Other possibilities are:

Winkey+Ctrl+Delete - KDE Default with windows key
Alt+F9 - Unix scheme

A few of the other schemes don't have this useful shortcut combination,
including the MS Windows scheme.

To modify the defaults KDE Button > Control Center > Regional &
Accessibility > Keyboard Shortcuts. It's in the "Miscellaneous" section
labelled "Kill Window"

Allistar 11-26-2004 05:10 AM

Re: Question for Linux Gurus

Darkside wrote:

> Alex Axolotl wrote:
>> Darkside wrote:

>>>How do you dispose of an unresponsive app, the equivelent of windows
>>>task manager?

>> On your Launch menu it is Applications, System, Process Manager

> I am a twerp, i found that seconds after posting.
> Now I am on the trail of performance issues, probably something I did,
> but my KDE is slow.

What distribution are you using?

Allistar.

Collector»NZ 11-26-2004 06:34 AM

Re: Question for Linux Gurus

Allistar said the following on 26/11/2004 18:10:
> Darkside wrote:
>

>>Alex Axolotl wrote:

>>>On your Launch menu it is Applications, System, Process Manager

>>I am a twerp, i found that seconds after posting.
>>Now I am on the trail of performance issues, probably something I did,
>>but my KDE is slow.

> What distribution are you using?
>
> Allistar.

BAck to my normal windows box now, Using the latest dist from Xandros
2.01 Open circulation.

I have absolutely minimal exposure to linux so its all a learning curve
with a step slope.

I sort of expect to take a couple of weeks to get to real grips with it.

I am most impressed with what I have seen so far thou and it has real
promise.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.