Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dynalink ADSL Routers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t573078-dynalink-adsl-routers.html)

# 11-24-2004 05:50 AM

Dynalink ADSL Routers

What are the major differences between the RTA 220, 300 and 770?

It would appear from the Dynalink website that the older 220 and 300 need a
hub to support mutiple systems simultaneously using the same connection:

"Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
Router through a hub, and enjoy High Speed internet for all";

whilst the indication given regarding the 770 is that it does not require a
hub:

"Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
Router, and enjoy High Speed internet for all".

Any (dis)advantages regarding either the Broadcom or Globespan chipsets?

Any other brands/models that could be recommended in a similar
price/performance category?

Situational requirements:
Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
No Wireless required
Must be good value

PC 11-24-2004 08:12 AM

Re: Dynalink ADSL Routers

"#" <911@numbers.for.you> wrote in message
news:1ltdqgevl3dk5$.xklwb5go0ovw$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
> What are the major differences between the RTA 220, 300 and 770?
>
> It would appear from the Dynalink website that the older 220 and 300 need
> hub to support mutiple systems simultaneously using the same connection:
>
> "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
> Router through a hub, and enjoy High Speed internet for all";
>
> whilst the indication given regarding the 770 is that it does not require
> hub:
>
> "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
> Router, and enjoy High Speed internet for all".
>
> Any (dis)advantages regarding either the Broadcom or Globespan chipsets?
>
> Any other brands/models that could be recommended in a similar
> price/performance category?
>
> Situational requirements:
> Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
> Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
> No Wireless required
> Must be good value

I've had an RTA 300 for some months now, runs fine.
Has a 4 port Switch (Hub?) and USB so up to 5 PC's may be connected, and
surf the 'net' at once.
Cheers
Paul

# 11-24-2004 08:21 AM

Re: Dynalink ADSL Routers

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:12:22 +1300, PC wrote:

>> Situational requirements:
>> Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
>> Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
>> No Wireless required
>> Must be good value

> I've had an RTA 300 for some months now, runs fine.
> Has a 4 port Switch (Hub?) and USB so up to 5 PC's may be connected, and
> surf the 'net' at once.
> Cheers
> Paul

Have you simultaneously run more then one computer through the router on
the same ADSL connection, purely by connection to the router, as this will
probably be essential?

If not, are you in a position that you could test and validate the
operation in such circumstances?

Ron McNulty 11-24-2004 08:56 AM

Re: Dynalink ADSL Routers

If the model has an inbuilt 4 port hub/switch, you can attach 4 computers.
If not, you need an external hub to attach more than 1 computer.

Both at work I use a Dynalink RTA220 router to allow multiple computers to
accees the internet via the same ADSL connection. I think it has a 4 port
switch. The only limit is the number of MAC addresses the router can
remember - this is in the order of one or two hundred.

Regards

Ron

# 11-24-2004 09:16 AM

Re: Dynalink ADSL Routers

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:56:05 +1300, Ron McNulty wrote:

> If the model has an inbuilt 4 port hub/switch, you can attach 4 computers.
> If not, you need an external hub to attach more than 1 computer.
>
> Both at work I use a Dynalink RTA220 router to allow multiple computers to
> accees the internet via the same ADSL connection. I think it has a 4 port
> switch. The only limit is the number of MAC addresses the router can
> remember - this is in the order of one or two hundred.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Unfortunately the description provided on the Dynalink website for the 220
and 300 was not very clear - leaving the impression that it may not support
simultaneous connection sharing other than in combined use with a hub.

Strange, but you never know with some peripherals...

PC 11-24-2004 09:46 AM

Re: Dynalink ADSL Routers

"#" <911@numbers.for.you> wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:12:22 +1300, PC wrote:
>
>>> Situational requirements:
>>> Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
>>> Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
>>> No Wireless required
>>> Must be good value

>> I've had an RTA 300 for some months now, runs fine.
>> Has a 4 port Switch (Hub?) and USB so up to 5 PC's may be connected, and
>> surf the 'net' at once.
>> Cheers
>> Paul

> Have you simultaneously run more then one computer through the router on
> the same ADSL connection, purely by connection to the router, as this will
> probably be essential?
>
> If not, are you in a position that you could test and validate the
> operation in such circumstances?

Dear OP

Routinely two PC's connect to the 'net' simultaneously here (Xtra 2Mbit) and
4 connect if I am running the two PC's in my workshop as well. All just
plugged into the back of the RTA300.

Installing XP on a new machine (or Linux for that matter) plug the Lan cable
in and I end up with a connection to the net to download all those MB's of
Updates that XP/Norton require. Just love it for that.

Has identical functionality to DSE XH1169.

i.e.
Plug the power in
Plug the ADSL cable in
Connect up to 4 PC's via Ethernet (LAN) socket + another via USB 1.1 socket
(need to install drivers for this one).
Load you ISP details (user name, password etc) into the Router via your Web
browser & save/reset.
Set all your PC's to No Dialup, get IP via DHCP, Gateway to the IP of the
Router 192.168.x.x

Note If you don't wish to 'share' drives between PC's etc, you can still
access the 'net' from all PC's just with the TCP/IP connection.

DO read the Manual

Cheers
Paul.

# 11-24-2004 10:01 AM

Re: Dynalink ADSL Routers

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:46:03 +1300, PC wrote:

> Dear OP
>
> Routinely two PC's connect to the 'net' simultaneously here (Xtra 2Mbit) and
> 4 connect if I am running the two PC's in my workshop as well. All just
> plugged into the back of the RTA300.
>
> Installing XP on a new machine (or Linux for that matter) plug the Lan cable
> in and I end up with a connection to the net to download all those MB's of
> Updates that XP/Norton require. Just love it for that.
>
> Has identical functionality to DSE XH1169.
>
> i.e.
> Plug the power in
> Plug the ADSL cable in
> Connect up to 4 PC's via Ethernet (LAN) socket + another via USB 1.1 socket
> (need to install drivers for this one).
> Load you ISP details (user name, password etc) into the Router via your Web
> browser & save/reset.
> Set all your PC's to No Dialup, get IP via DHCP, Gateway to the IP of the
> Router 192.168.x.x
>
> Note If you don't wish to 'share' drives between PC's etc, you can still
> access the 'net' from all PC's just with the TCP/IP connection.
>
> DO read the Manual
>
> Cheers
> Paul.

Excellent, thanks for your help!

wogers nemesis 11-24-2004 11:23 AM

Re: Dynalink ADSL Routers

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:50:52 +1300, # wrote:

> What are the major differences between the RTA 220, 300 and 770?
>
> It would appear from the Dynalink website that the older 220 and 300 need a
> hub to support mutiple systems simultaneously using the same connection:
>
> "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
> Router through a hub, and enjoy High Speed internet for all";
>
> whilst the indication given regarding the 770 is that it does not require a
> hub:
>
> "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
> Router, and enjoy High Speed internet for all".
>
> Any (dis)advantages regarding either the Broadcom or Globespan chipsets?
>
> Any other brands/models that could be recommended in a similar
> price/performance category?
>
> Situational requirements:
> Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
> Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
> No Wireless required
> Must be good value

The Dynalink 300 has NAT built-in, firewall, DHCP server etc built-in.
The "tricky" part was taking the time to discover the default admin
username and password for its webpage config.

You want to find omething that does some sort of traffic shaping/quality of
service or else you end up with someone sucking up all the bandwidth...

# 11-24-2004 11:56 AM

Re: Dynalink ADSL Routers

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:23:24 +1300, wogers nemesis wrote:

> You want to find omething that does some sort of traffic shaping/quality of
> service or else you end up with someone sucking up all the bandwidth...

Anything you can suggest in this price category?

PC 11-24-2004 08:20 PM

Re: Dynalink ADSL Routers

"wogers nemesis" <haha@spamhater.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:50:52 +1300, # wrote:
>
>> What are the major differences between the RTA 220, 300 and 770?
>>
>> It would appear from the Dynalink website that the older 220 and 300 need
>> hub to support mutiple systems simultaneously using the same connection:
>>
>> "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
>> Router through a hub, and enjoy High Speed internet for all";
>>
>> whilst the indication given regarding the 770 is that it does not require
>> hub:
>>
>> "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
>> Router, and enjoy High Speed internet for all".
>>
>> Any (dis)advantages regarding either the Broadcom or Globespan chipsets?
>>
>> Any other brands/models that could be recommended in a similar
>> price/performance category?
>>
>> Situational requirements:
>> Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
>> Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
>> No Wireless required
>> Must be good value

> The Dynalink 300 has NAT built-in, firewall, DHCP server etc built-in.
> The "tricky" part was taking the time to discover the default admin
> username and password for its webpage config.

er RTFM!

Snip