Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win98se wont start (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t573074-win98se-wont-start.html)

jwilson 11-24-2004 02:17 AM

Win98se wont start

ga-7vtx via kt266 mb with amd 1600 and win98.

I replaced the power supply and then win98 would not
complete loading, just hang or stop.

I put back the original power supply and find win98 will
still not complete loading even though it was ok before.

Starting up in step by step mode the orocess hangs at
msmouse.vxd and goes no further.

Googling was inconclusive. What could have changed?

John

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-24-2004 02:48 AM

Re: Win98se wont start

jwilson wrote:
> Googling was inconclusive. What could have changed?

you may have in-advertantly moved a stick of ram or a cable for
something inside the case... lord knows I've done it in the past.

impossible 11-24-2004 04:06 AM

Re: Win98se wont start

"jwilson" <jfwilson@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> ga-7vtx via kt266 mb with amd 1600 and win98.
>
> I replaced the power supply and then win98 would not
> complete loading, just hang or stop.
>
> I put back the original power supply and find win98 will
> still not complete loading even though it was ok before.
>
> Starting up in step by step mode the orocess hangs at
> msmouse.vxd and goes no further.
>
> Googling was inconclusive. What could have changed?

If the boot process consistently hangs at msmouse.vxd, I'd suspect some form
of corruption in that driver. From DOS, rename msmouse.vxd to msmouse.save,
then extract a fresh copy of msmouse.vxd from your installation disk and
reboot. Alternatively, try reinstalling Win 98 over the top of your current
installation, which should replace any corrupted files and/or repair
registry settings without otherwise changing your configuration.

JWilson 11-24-2004 05:09 AM

Re: Win98se wont start

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> jwilson wrote:
> > Googling was inconclusive. What could have changed?

> you may have in-advertantly moved a stick of ram or a cable for
> something inside the case... lord knows I've done it in the past.

That was it. I re-seated the memory and now all's well. :)

Thankyou Dave.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-24-2004 07:15 PM

Re: Win98se wont start

JWilson wrote:
>>>Googling was inconclusive. What could have changed?

>>you may have in-advertantly moved a stick of ram or a cable for
>>something inside the case... lord knows I've done it in the past.

> That was it. I re-seated the memory and now all's well. :)
> Thankyou Dave.

woohoo... what do I win?