Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mapping drives (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t573029-mapping-drives.html)

Joy 11-20-2004 09:29 PM

Mapping drives

I have no idea what this means and just came across it by accident in
options on IE. Someone had mentioned this term to me just last week and I'd
really like to know what it means.
Thanks.
Joy

Kristofer Clayton 11-20-2004 09:39 PM

Re: Mapping drives

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:29:20 +1300, "Joy" <jhan2nospam@clear.net.nz>
wrote:

>I have no idea what this means and just came across it by accident in
>options on IE. Someone had mentioned this term to me just last week and I'd
>really like to know what it means.

Mapping Drives refers to assigning drive letters to drives that are
not (usually) physically in your computer. For example, if you have
two computers networked together, both with a C: drive (hard drive)
and a D: drive (CD-ROM), you can share one computer's C: drive on the
other computer as E:. This would mean whenever you refer to E: on your
computer, it'd go and look at the C: drive on the other PC.

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

Joy 11-20-2004 09:51 PM

Re: Mapping drives

Hey, thanks
Joy

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-21-2004 09:11 PM

Re: Mapping drives

Kristofer Clayton wrote:
>>I have no idea what this means and just came across it by accident in
>>options on IE. Someone had mentioned this term to me just last week and I'd
>>really like to know what it means.

> Mapping Drives refers to assigning drive letters to drives that are
> not (usually) physically in your computer. For example, if you have
> two computers networked together, both with a C: drive (hard drive)
> and a D: drive (CD-ROM), you can share one computer's C: drive on the
> other computer as E:. This would mean whenever you refer to E: on your
> computer, it'd go and look at the C: drive on the other PC.

just to add to the confusion, you can also share folders on a PC and map
them as drives on the same PC... I do this for regualy accessed folders...

c:\downloads\media is mapped as m: drive(m for media)
c:\downloads\isos is mapped as i: drive
c:\downloads\games is mapped as g: drive

I have a few more, but nothing further to demonstate my point.

frederick 11-21-2004 10:02 PM

Re: Mapping drives

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Kristofer Clayton wrote:
>>>I have no idea what this means and just came across it by accident in options
>>>on IE. Someone had mentioned this term to me just last week and I'd really
>>>like to know what it means.

>> Mapping Drives refers to assigning drive letters to drives that are
>> not (usually) physically in your computer. For example, if you have
>> two computers networked together, both with a C: drive (hard drive)
>> and a D: drive (CD-ROM), you can share one computer's C: drive on the
>> other computer as E:. This would mean whenever you refer to E: on your
>> computer, it'd go and look at the C: drive on the other PC.

> just to add to the confusion, you can also share folders on a PC and map them
> as drives on the same PC... I do this for regualy accessed folders...
>
> c:\downloads\media is mapped as m: drive(m for media)
> c:\downloads\isos is mapped as i: drive
> c:\downloads\games is mapped as g: drive
>
> I have a few more, but nothing further to demonstate my point.

Which doesn't work on a stand-alone machine unless you have a network card
installed, or use MS Loopback.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-21-2004 10:39 PM

Re: Mapping drives

frederick wrote:
>>just to add to the confusion, you can also share folders on a PC and map them
>>as drives on the same PC... I do this for regualy accessed folders...

>>c:\downloads\media is mapped as m: drive(m for media)
>>c:\downloads\isos is mapped as i: drive
>>c:\downloads\games is mapped as g: drive
>>I have a few more, but nothing further to demonstate my point.

> Which doesn't work on a stand-alone machine unless you have a network card
> installed, or use MS Loopback.

wouldn't know, I've had a NIC since win95(so late 96 :)

Mr Bond 11-21-2004 10:44 PM

Re: Mapping drives

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:11:50 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:

>Kristofer Clayton wrote:
>>>I have no idea what this means and just came across it by accident in
>>>options on IE. Someone had mentioned this term to me just last week and I'd
>>>really like to know what it means.

>> Mapping Drives refers to assigning drive letters to drives that are
>> not (usually) physically in your computer. For example, if you have
>> two computers networked together, both with a C: drive (hard drive)
>> and a D: drive (CD-ROM), you can share one computer's C: drive on the
>> other computer as E:. This would mean whenever you refer to E: on your
>> computer, it'd go and look at the C: drive on the other PC.

>just to add to the confusion, you can also share folders on a PC and map
>them as drives on the same PC... I do this for regualy accessed folders...
>
>c:\downloads\media is mapped as m: drive(m for media)
>c:\downloads\isos is mapped as i: drive
>c:\downloads\games is mapped as g: drive
>
>I have a few more, but nothing further to demonstate my point.

Hey, that's a really good idea. Now why didn't I think of that.
Typing G:\NFSU2 is a hell of a lot easier than typing C:\Games\NFSU2.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-21-2004 10:49 PM

Re: Mapping drives

Mr Bond wrote:
>>I have a few more, but nothing further to demonstate my point.

> Hey, that's a really good idea. Now why didn't I think of that.
> Typing G:\NFSU2 is a hell of a lot easier than typing C:\Games\NFSU2.

or typing N: mapped to C:\Games\NFSU2
:)

it's either genius or laziness... not sure which.

AD. 11-23-2004 02:47 AM

Re: Mapping drives

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:49:42 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> or typing N: mapped to C:\Games\NFSU2
> :)
>
> it's either genius or laziness... not sure which.

Reminds me a lot of the Amigas device names (eg SYS: etc).

Anyway, on NT/W2K/XP etc you can also use the SUBST command without
needing the whole network share stuff.

I think from memory under 9x and earlier, you used the ASSIGN command? I
could be wrong about that though.

Cheers
Anton