Velocity Reviews

-   -   Simple (?) Router Question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572976-simple-router-question.html)

Southern Kiwi 11-17-2004 03:27 AM

Simple (?) Router Question

If I get a wireless router, can I use it to share a dialup connection with
the desktop and my laptop.? (Broadband later)

Currently Ethernet laptop to desktop using modem in desktop to ICS

Want to go wireless between laptop/desktop and preferably have router so the
desktop doesn't have to be on.

--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi

Collector»NZ 11-17-2004 04:00 AM

Re: Simple (?) Router Question

Southern Kiwi said the following on 17/11/2004 16:27:
> If I get a wireless router, can I use it to share a dialup connection with
> the desktop and my laptop.? (Broadband later)
>
> Currently Ethernet laptop to desktop using modem in desktop to ICS
>
> Want to go wireless between laptop/desktop and preferably have router so the
> desktop doesn't have to be on.

Let me see how to answer this, first I suppose I should work out just
what the question is.

Okay its two questions so the first.
In the case where you have desktop laptop you can simply replace your
ethernet with the wireless router.

Now if you get broadband using the wireless router yes you will be able
to have the desktop off and still get internet, but if using the modem
the desktop has to be running to share the modem

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

whoisthis 11-17-2004 07:05 PM

Re: Simple (?) Router Question

In article <3000muF2qeq1pU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Collector»NZ <collector_nz@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Southern Kiwi said the following on 17/11/2004 16:27:
> > If I get a wireless router, can I use it to share a dialup connection with
> > the desktop and my laptop.? (Broadband later)
> >
> > Currently Ethernet laptop to desktop using modem in desktop to ICS
> >
> > Want to go wireless between laptop/desktop and preferably have router so the
> > desktop doesn't have to be on.
> >

> Let me see how to answer this, first I suppose I should work out just
> what the question is.
>
> Okay its two questions so the first.
> In the case where you have desktop laptop you can simply replace your
> ethernet with the wireless router.
>
> Now if you get broadband using the wireless router yes you will be able
> to have the desktop off and still get internet, but if using the modem
> the desktop has to be running to share the modem

except if you runs Mac, then you can get a wirelss hub which has a 56k
modem built into it and has dial on demand

Alex Axolotl 11-17-2004 07:46 PM

Re: Simple (?) Router Question

"whoisthis" <who@am.i.spammer> wrote in message
> In article <3000muF2qeq1pU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> Collector»NZ <collector_nz@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Southern Kiwi said the following on 17/11/2004 16:27:
>> > If I get a wireless router, can I use it to share a dialup connection
>> > with
>> > the desktop and my laptop.? (Broadband later)
>> >
>> > Currently Ethernet laptop to desktop using modem in desktop to ICS
>> >
>> > Want to go wireless between laptop/desktop and preferably have router
>> > so the
>> > desktop doesn't have to be on.
>> >

>> Let me see how to answer this, first I suppose I should work out just
>> what the question is.
>>
>> Okay its two questions so the first.
>> In the case where you have desktop laptop you can simply replace your
>> ethernet with the wireless router.
>>
>> Now if you get broadband using the wireless router yes you will be able
>> to have the desktop off and still get internet, but if using the modem
>> the desktop has to be running to share the modem

> except if you runs Mac, then you can get a wirelss hub which has a 56k
> modem built into it and has dial on demand

Why does it only work with a Mac ?

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-17-2004 07:55 PM

Re: Simple (?) Router Question

whoisthis wrote:
> except if you runs Mac, then you can get a wirelss hub which has a 56k
> modem built into it and has dial on demand

there is no need to run a mac, if you mean the "airport" one, it is
plain old 802.11b with a marketing name slapped on it.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-17-2004 07:57 PM

Re: Simple (?) Router Question

Alex Axolotl wrote:
>>except if you runs Mac, then you can get a wirelss hub which has a 56k
>>modem built into it and has dial on demand

> Why does it only work with a Mac ?

it doesnt, see my post.

Collector»NZ 11-17-2004 11:03 PM

Re: Simple (?) Router Question

whoisthis said the following on 18/11/2004 08:05:
> In article <3000muF2qeq1pU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> Collector»NZ <collector_nz@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Southern Kiwi said the following on 17/11/2004 16:27:
>>
>>>If I get a wireless router, can I use it to share a dialup connection with
>>>the desktop and my laptop.? (Broadband later)
>>>
>>>Currently Ethernet laptop to desktop using modem in desktop to ICS
>>>
>>>Want to go wireless between laptop/desktop and preferably have router so the
>>>desktop doesn't have to be on.
>>>

>>Let me see how to answer this, first I suppose I should work out just
>>what the question is.
>>
>>Okay its two questions so the first.
>>In the case where you have desktop laptop you can simply replace your
>>ethernet with the wireless router.
>>
>>Now if you get broadband using the wireless router yes you will be able
>>to have the desktop off and still get internet, but if using the modem
>>the desktop has to be running to share the modem

> except if you runs Mac, then you can get a wirelss hub which has a 56k
> modem built into it and has dial on demand

Yes you can get them for PC as well, but the cost is prohibitive
generally which is why I didnt bother to include it in my answer.
There is always someone who just has to disagree or add a two pennys
worth thats is about as useful as tits and a bull.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-18-2004 12:03 AM

Re: Simple (?) Router Question

Collector»NZ wrote:
> There is always someone who just has to disagree or add a two pennys
> worth thats is about as useful as tits and a bull.

tits and a bull?
tits are useful
bulls are useful

I think you meant "as useful as tits on a bull"

Collector»NZ 11-18-2004 12:31 AM

Re: Simple (?) Router Question

Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 18/11/2004 13:03:
> Collector»NZ wrote:
>
>> There is always someone who just has to disagree or add a two pennys
>> worth thats is about as useful as tits and a bull.

> tits and a bull?
> tits are useful
> bulls are useful
>
> I think you meant "as useful as tits on a bull"

Yep another arthritic typo only it was the brain this time not the hands.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-18-2004 01:01 AM

Re: Simple (?) Router Question

Collector»NZ wrote:
>>> There is always someone who just has to disagree or add a two pennys
>>> worth thats is about as useful as tits and a bull.

>> I think you meant "as useful as tits on a bull"

> Yep another arthritic typo only it was the brain this time not the hands.

ahhh, a "think-o"