Velocity Reviews

-   -   Q: video conferencing on jetstream plans (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572973-q-video-conferencing-on-jetstream-plans.html)

Sameer 11-16-2004 11:17 PM

Q: video conferencing on jetstream plans

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with video conferencing
using say the 1Mbit download / 192kb/s upload rates on the new dsl plans -
given that the receiving party has an equivalent or better connection rate.

I was hoping to set something up for my family before I go overseas. I'll
probably use MSN or Yahoo! messengers.

Is the delay acceptable?

Can you get a smooth video transmission?

Do you know of any other dsl plans that have a higher upload rate?

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-16-2004 11:21 PM

Re: Q: video conferencing on jetstream plans

Sameer wrote:
> Do you know of any other dsl plans that have a higher upload rate?

full speed DSL does, but it's kinda cost prohibitive.

I see that this is just for personal use... I've used MSN video chat on
dialup... slow, horrible, but I'd imagine that it'd work on 192 up fine.

surely voice chat would do? and email some pics?

-[Myth]- 11-17-2004 04:04 AM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:21:08 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Sameer wrote:
>> Do you know of any other dsl plans that have a higher upload rate?

> full speed DSL does, but it's kinda cost prohibitive.
>
> I see that this is just for personal use... I've used MSN video chat on
> dialup... slow, horrible, but I'd imagine that it'd work on 192 up fine.
>
> surely voice chat would do? and email some pics?

Try skype for voice chat, its bloody awesome on 128/128, better than phone
quality, and no noticable delay. Some users have had problems with skype
not adjusting to asymetric connections, but i think that was mostly to do
with 64k uploads, and it doesn't use anything near 192k.

Mike_P 11-17-2004 04:11 AM

"-[Myth]-" <mythdl@users.sourceforge.nospam.net.remove> wrote in message
news:1klyw77b303mh$.1wkv5c8xiww7$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:21:08 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> Sameer wrote:
>>> Do you know of any other dsl plans that have a higher upload rate?

>> full speed DSL does, but it's kinda cost prohibitive.
>>
>> I see that this is just for personal use... I've used MSN video chat on
>> dialup... slow, horrible, but I'd imagine that it'd work on 192 up fine.
>>
>> surely voice chat would do? and email some pics?

> Try skype for voice chat, its bloody awesome on 128/128, better than phone
> quality, and no noticable delay. Some users have had problems with skype
> not adjusting to asymetric connections, but i think that was mostly to do
> with 64k uploads, and it doesn't use anything near 192k.

Hmm, I wonder how it performs on Orcon's UBS plan with Telecom's "Internet
Quality" latency designed to make VOIP impractical. ?

C_Lyon 11-17-2004 10:43 AM

-[Myth]- wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:21:08 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>

>>Sameer wrote:
>>
>>>Do you know of any other dsl plans that have a higher upload rate?

>>full speed DSL does, but it's kinda cost prohibitive.
>>
>>I see that this is just for personal use... I've used MSN video chat on
>>dialup... slow, horrible, but I'd imagine that it'd work on 192 up fine.
>>
>>surely voice chat would do? and email some pics?

> Try skype for voice chat, its bloody awesome on 128/128, better than phone
> quality, and no noticable delay. Some users have had problems with skype
> not adjusting to asymetric connections, but i think that was mostly to do
> with 64k uploads, and it doesn't use anything near 192k.

Never tried skype, but Teamspeak works fine for me.
http://www.goteamspeak.com/news.php