Velocity Reviews

-   -   "It's going so slow" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572817-its-going-so-slow.html)

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-05-2004 01:29 AM

"It's going so slow"

heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
running so slowly.
I connect to their machine and notice that they have ~20 Outlook windows
open, along with most of them with attachments, all open aswell.
After closing most of them, trying to narrow down the problem, I
discover an Excel doc open, that is 184MB, and Im thinking, "boy, thats
a large spreadsheet", when they say, oh, it's pulling data from these
other 18 spreadsheets aswell.

Win2k SP4, Cel733, 128MB ram

and they wonder why it is slow.

I have suggested that they try to deal with data in a different(smaller)
way, along with getting them another 512MB ram.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

EMB 11-05-2004 01:56 AM

Re: "It's going so slow"

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
> running so slowly.

Was that a power user or a power luser?

--
EMB

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-05-2004 02:05 AM

Re: "It's going so slow"

EMB wrote:
>> heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
>> running so slowly.

> Was that a power user or a power luser?

they're not so bad... they just don't understand.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

EMB 11-05-2004 02:37 AM

Re: "It's going so slow"

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> EMB wrote:
>
>>> heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
>>> running so slowly.

>> Was that a power user or a power luser?

> they're not so bad... they just don't understand.

Print out all their data, stack it on their desk and see how slowly they
work. Once you've done this they will have a much greater understanding
and empathy for the problem.

I've just had the number one all time luser at one of my clients sites
open every attachment he's had today and gain several new and
interesting virii. He's now behind his very own smoothwall that blocks
pretty much everything except browsing and mail to/from their
mailserver, and the mailserver won't accept anything with an attachment
sent to his account. It should slow him up for the next week while I'm
out of the country and don't want to respond to their yells for help.

--
EMB

DoggNZ 11-05-2004 03:28 AM

Re: "It's going so slow"

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:29:45 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:

>heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
>running so slowly.
>I connect to their machine and notice that they have ~20 Outlook windows
>open, along with most of them with attachments, all open aswell.
>After closing most of them, trying to narrow down the problem, I
>discover an Excel doc open, that is 184MB, and Im thinking, "boy, thats
>a large spreadsheet", when they say, oh, it's pulling data from these
>other 18 spreadsheets aswell.
>
>Win2k SP4, Cel733, 128MB ram
>
>and they wonder why it is slow.
>
>I have suggested that they try to deal with data in a different(smaller)
>way, along with getting them another 512MB ram.

LOL! What sort of crusty machines are you running there!

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

Patrick Dunford 11-05-2004 04:15 AM

Re: "It's going so slow"

In article <pqslo01tv11i850uan2ti4m9elfslbm4p2@4ax.com> in nz.comp on
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:28:49 +1300, DoggNZ <doggnzREMOVETHIS@gmail.com>
says...
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:29:45 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
> <davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
> >running so slowly.
> >I connect to their machine and notice that they have ~20 Outlook windows
> >open, along with most of them with attachments, all open aswell.
> >After closing most of them, trying to narrow down the problem, I
> >discover an Excel doc open, that is 184MB, and Im thinking, "boy, thats
> >a large spreadsheet", when they say, oh, it's pulling data from these
> >other 18 spreadsheets aswell.
> >
> >Win2k SP4, Cel733, 128MB ram
> >
> >and they wonder why it is slow.
> >
> >I have suggested that they try to deal with data in a different(smaller)
> >way, along with getting them another 512MB ram.

> LOL! What sort of crusty machines are you running there!

Only about 3 years old I'd say

-=[Waylon Smithers]=- 11-05-2004 11:37 PM

Re: "It's going so slow"

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
> running so slowly.
> I connect to their machine and notice that they have ~20 Outlook windows
> open, along with most of them with attachments, all open aswell.
> After closing most of them, trying to narrow down the problem, I
> discover an Excel doc open, that is 184MB, and Im thinking, "boy, thats
> a large spreadsheet", when they say, oh, it's pulling data from these
> other 18 spreadsheets aswell.

He he.

Chap at work the other day discovered that he could in fact close down
IE windows, rather than just run a new one everytime he wanted to go to
another web site.

Winner of the "raise the eyebrows of their colleagues" award.

Allistar 11-06-2004 03:30 AM

Re: "It's going so slow"

-=[Waylon Smithers]=- wrote:

> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
>> running so slowly.
>> I connect to their machine and notice that they have ~20 Outlook windows
>> open, along with most of them with attachments, all open aswell.
>> After closing most of them, trying to narrow down the problem, I
>> discover an Excel doc open, that is 184MB, and Im thinking, "boy, thats
>> a large spreadsheet", when they say, oh, it's pulling data from these
>> other 18 spreadsheets aswell.

> He he.
>
> Chap at work the other day discovered that he could in fact close down
> IE windows, rather than just run a new one everytime he wanted to go to
> another web site.
>
> Winner of the "raise the eyebrows of their colleagues" award.

Sounds like someone needs to be shown Firefox and the marvel that is "tabbed
browsing".

Allistar.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 11-07-2004 08:27 PM

Re: "It's going so slow"

DoggNZ wrote:
>>Win2k SP4, Cel733, 128MB ram
>>and they wonder why it is slow.
>>I have suggested that they try to deal with data in a different(smaller)
>>way, along with getting them another 512MB ram.

> LOL! What sort of crusty machines are you running there!

IBM... it's due for replacement in a month or so.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

DoggNZ 11-08-2004 03:16 AM

Re: "It's going so slow"

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:27:36 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:

>DoggNZ wrote:
>>>Win2k SP4, Cel733, 128MB ram
>>>and they wonder why it is slow.
>>>I have suggested that they try to deal with data in a different(smaller)
>>>way, along with getting them another 512MB ram.

>> LOL! What sort of crusty machines are you running there!

>IBM... it's due for replacement in a month or so.

Probably for the best...