Velocity Reviews

-   -   Super Video CD (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572752-super-video-cd.html)

Patrick Dunford 10-31-2004 12:37 AM

Super Video CD

I have a movie that is 720x576 DV that I want to turn into a SVCD
480x576. If I want to keep it proportionately sized it will have to be at
480x384?

and will the DVD player then scale it up to fit the screen?

E. Scrooge 10-31-2004 01:55 AM

Re: Super Video CD

"Patrick Dunford" <patrickdunford@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
news:MPG.1beefaf9f06c817998a681@news.paradise.net. nz...
>I have a movie that is 720x576 DV that I want to turn into a SVCD
> 480x576. If I want to keep it proportionately sized it will have to be at
> 480x384?
>
> and will the DVD player then scale it up to fit the screen?

Easiest way if there are problems, is to add black borders top and bottom.
Making it 480x576, but the video should give it's widescreen appearance at
480x384.

E. Scrooge

Harry 10-31-2004 06:17 AM

Re: Super Video CD

Patrick Dunford wrote:

> I have a movie that is 720x576 DV that I want to turn into a SVCD
> 480x576. If I want to keep it proportionately sized it will have to be at
> 480x384?

No.

SVCD is anamorphic. The height is normal but the width is squeezed.
So the SVCD 480x576 gets expanded 720x576 when played back.
Only the width gets expanded.

If you use software like TMPGenc then you don't have to do anything
special, it does it for you.

> and will the DVD player then scale it up to fit the screen?

Of course.

Craig Shore 10-31-2004 06:48 AM

Re: Super Video CD

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:37:36 +1300, Patrick Dunford
<patrickdunford@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>I have a movie that is 720x576 DV that I want to turn into a SVCD
>480x576. If I want to keep it proportionately sized it will have to be at
>480x384?
>
>and will the DVD player then scale it up to fit the screen?

With SVCD that 576 is interlaced, and the player/svcd format will take care of
it during playback - i.e. it won't come out taller than it is wide.

I'm not sure how a conversion from DVD would go, but i'd just give a small part
of it a try with the software you have and see how it plays back. Use a
rewritable disc.

Patrick Dunford 10-31-2004 08:32 AM

Re: Super Video CD

In article <re29o0l7r12h9pe0n0n3fildqcr30dm2av@4ax.com> in nz.comp on
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:48:05 +1300, Craig Shore <craigshore@paradise.net.nz>
says...
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:37:36 +1300, Patrick Dunford
> <patrickdunford@nomail.invalid> wrote:
>
> >I have a movie that is 720x576 DV that I want to turn into a SVCD
> >480x576. If I want to keep it proportionately sized it will have to be at
> >480x384?
> >
> >and will the DVD player then scale it up to fit the screen?

> With SVCD that 576 is interlaced, and the player/svcd format will take care of
> it during playback - i.e. it won't come out taller than it is wide.
>
> I'm not sure how a conversion from DVD would go, but i'd just give a small part
> of it a try with the software you have and see how it plays back. Use a
> rewritable disc.

OK I'm a little confused, but this is the first time I have tried this
sort of thing.

I started with a clip (supposedly) at 720x576. Ran it through bbMpeg
setting the output resolution to 480x576 output without really thinking
about what would come out the other end. bbMpeg by default would do
proportional resizing of the input frame to fit the output size.

When I put the disc into the DVD player it looks like a widescreen DVD,
with vertical compression of the image, which is not what I was
expecting. In fact we would expect horizontal compression since the
height is still the same but the width is 1/3 less.

Patrick Dunford 11-02-2004 07:18 AM

Re: Super Video CD

In article <1406058.k1BeuESR3g@microsoft.com> in nz.comp on Sun, 31 Oct
2004 19:17:44 +1300, Harry <Harry@somewhere.net> says...
> Patrick Dunford wrote:
>
> > I have a movie that is 720x576 DV that I want to turn into a SVCD
> > 480x576. If I want to keep it proportionately sized it will have to be at
> > 480x384?

> No.
>
> SVCD is anamorphic. The height is normal but the width is squeezed.
> So the SVCD 480x576 gets expanded 720x576 when played back.
> Only the width gets expanded.

But the DVD player plays it like a widescreen with the vertical aspect
compressed, complete and wrong change in aspect ratio.

Unless it was encoded with the wrong settings. I used bbMPEG and it's set
to proportional resize, maybe it should be fixed resize ?

Southern Kiwi 11-02-2004 08:53 AM

Re: Super Video CD

DVD2SVCD is all you need......
--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi

news:MPG.1bf1fbb7823f190598a6a9@news.paradise.net. nz...

Bruce Knox 11-02-2004 08:36 PM

Re: Super Video CD

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:18:54 +1300, Patrick Dunford
<patrickdunford@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>In article <1406058.k1BeuESR3g@microsoft.com> in nz.comp on Sun, 31 Oct
>2004 19:17:44 +1300, Harry <Harry@somewhere.net> says...
>> Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>
>> > I have a movie that is 720x576 DV that I want to turn into a SVCD
>> > 480x576. If I want to keep it proportionately sized it will have to be at
>> > 480x384?

>> No.
>>
>> SVCD is anamorphic. The height is normal but the width is squeezed.
>> So the SVCD 480x576 gets expanded 720x576 when played back.
>> Only the width gets expanded.

>But the DVD player plays it like a widescreen with the vertical aspect
>compressed, complete and wrong change in aspect ratio.
>
>Unless it was encoded with the wrong settings. I used bbMPEG and it's set
>to proportional resize, maybe it should be fixed resize ?

I think that will be your problem. By selecting proportionaly resize
it will resize the height to match (trying to keep the aspect ratio)
and then insert black bars to bulk it back out to the full height.
Only way to really tell is to play.

Bruce.

Patrick Dunford 11-03-2004 09:46 PM

Re: Super Video CD

Bruce Knox wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:18:54 +1300, Patrick Dunford
> <patrickdunford@nomail.invalid> wrote:
>

>>In article <1406058.k1BeuESR3g@microsoft.com> in nz.comp on Sun, 31 Oct
>>2004 19:17:44 +1300, Harry <Harry@somewhere.net> says...

>>>No.
>>>
>>>SVCD is anamorphic. The height is normal but the width is squeezed.
>>>So the SVCD 480x576 gets expanded 720x576 when played back.
>>>Only the width gets expanded.

>>But the DVD player plays it like a widescreen with the vertical aspect
>>compressed, complete and wrong change in aspect ratio.
>>
>>Unless it was encoded with the wrong settings. I used bbMPEG and it's set
>>to proportional resize, maybe it should be fixed resize ?

> I think that will be your problem. By selecting proportionaly resize
> it will resize the height to match (trying to keep the aspect ratio)
> and then insert black bars to bulk it back out to the full height.
> Only way to really tell is to play.

What is very strange is:

I burned a copy of this AVI file to CD ROM. On my computer at home, and
another Win98 PC I have access to, Media Player and bbMPEG insist the
file is now 1/4 of its original resolution i.e 360 x 288 or something
like that.

At work, where the AVI was originally created from some video I had
edited, where we are running Windows XP, bbMPEG and Media Player say the
AVI file has a resolution of 720 x 576 - just as I created it in.

This AVI by the way is not the unedited original DV footage - it was
sent back to DV from Windows Movie Maker and then recaptured into Ulead
Video Studio SE and then exported to an AVI.