Velocity Reviews

-   -   suse 9.1 Well, that was interesting (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572744-suse-9-1-well-that-was-interesting.html)

Troglodyte 10-30-2004 09:29 AM

suse 9.1 Well, that was interesting

Intalled suse 9.1. running win xp on a duel boot. So heres the quiery.
When I rebooted and came in to windeows. came up with a message about
a chain. OH ****! says I. Went into suse and then to yast. Pressed a
restore thing in yast, dont ask me to be certain, but I then rebooted
and hit the windows option and I was asked if I wanted to start up
windows normally. It worked and here I am.

Next question, where the flamin hell do I go to set up the internet
connection details with my isp provider in suse ? Sussed it out in red
hat easily enough but suse's a little different. lol

cheers

thing 10-30-2004 09:04 PM

Re: suse 9.1 Well, that was interesting

Troglodyte wrote:
> Intalled suse 9.1. running win xp on a duel boot. So heres the quiery.
> When I rebooted and came in to windeows. came up with a message about a
> chain. OH ****! says I. Went into suse and then to yast. Pressed a
> restore thing in yast, dont ask me to be certain, but I then rebooted
> and hit the windows option and I was asked if I wanted to start up
> windows normally. It worked and here I am.
>
> Next question, where the flamin hell do I go to set up the internet
> connection details with my isp provider in suse ? Sussed it out in red
> hat easily enough but suse's a little different. lol
>
> cheers

I would think yast.

Ive not used it much.

regards

Thing

Grant Chivers 10-30-2004 10:20 PM

Troglodyte wrote:
> Intalled suse 9.1. running win xp on a duel boot. So heres the quiery.
> When I rebooted and came in to windeows. came up with a message about a
> chain. OH ****! says I. Went into suse and then to yast. Pressed a
> restore thing in yast, dont ask me to be certain, but I then rebooted
> and hit the windows option and I was asked if I wanted to start up
> windows normally. It worked and here I am.
>
> Next question, where the flamin hell do I go to set up the internet
> connection details with my isp provider in suse ? Sussed it out in red
> hat easily enough but suse's a little different. lol
>
> cheers

Assuming you're using dialup goto Yast2 -> Network Devices -> Modem ->
Configure

If you've got a winmodem you may need a driver from www.linmodem.org
otherwise there maybe a SuSE update (YOU)

After you setup the modem there is a screen asking for an ISP, select
new to enter your ISP ph # etc

--

No virus checking was performed on this outgoing email
Since no Microsoft products were used in its generation

Powered by :-

#####
# # # ## #### # # # # ## ##### ######
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
##### # # # # #### # # # # # # #####
# # ###### # # # # ## # ###### ##### #
# # # # # # # # # ## ## # # # # #
##### ###### # # #### # # # # # # # # ######

# ### ###
## # # # #
# # # # # #
# # # # #
# # # ### # # ###
# # # ### # # ###
##### ### ### ### ###

Grant Chivers 10-30-2004 10:24 PM

Ooops -- typo --- thats www.linmodems.org

Gordon 10-31-2004 04:01 AM

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:29:04 +1300, Troglodyte wrote:

> Next question, where the flamin hell do I go to set up the internet
> connection details with my isp provider in suse ? Sussed it out in red
> hat easily enough but suse's a little different. lol

For FFS, get your hands dirty old chap!

Linux, has many flavours but they are all sweet.

Try alt.os.linux.suse. Yep, Ms Penguin is chatting away just fine there.
And in English to boot. ;-)

Troglodyte 11-02-2004 09:49 PM

Grant Chivers wrote:
> Troglodyte wrote:
>
>> Intalled suse 9.1. running win xp on a duel boot. So heres the
>> quiery. When I rebooted and came in to windeows. came up with a
>> message about a chain. OH ****! says I. Went into suse and then to
>> yast. Pressed a restore thing in yast, dont ask me to be certain, but
>> I then rebooted and hit the windows option and I was asked if I wanted
>> to start up windows normally. It worked and here I am.
>>
>> Next question, where the flamin hell do I go to set up the internet
>> connection details with my isp provider in suse ? Sussed it out in
>> red hat easily enough but suse's a little different. lol
>>
>> cheers

> Assuming you're using dialup goto Yast2 -> Network Devices -> Modem ->
> Configure
>
> If you've got a winmodem you may need a driver from www.linmodem.org
> otherwise there maybe a SuSE update (YOU)
>
> After you setup the modem there is a screen asking for an ISP, select
> new to enter your ISP ph # etc

thats cool. I have done all that. Actually, I reformatted me whole
system last night with win xp pro. And just put suse 9.1 back in again
this morning. during the initial setup and install I had the modem
working. It connected.

The problem Im getting now is that when i click on the start menu, or at
least that that windows refers to as the start menu, and click on
internet, then dial up, it pops up a message that Kinternet is already
running. Even tho the nets not hooked up. It also tells me that there
is an icon in the bottom panel to configur etc and I damned if I can
loacate it amung the other icons there.

scuse typos. Im too piised off with it.

Enkidu 11-02-2004 10:32 PM

Re: suse 9.1 Well, that was interesting

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 10:49:50 +1300, Troglodyte <nth@orcon.net.nz>
wrote:

>scuse typos. Im too piised off with it.

I love typos! Especially such serendipitous ones as your one about
"duel" booting! Sounds like your OSes are fighting to get booted...
That'd be about right for Linux and Windows.

It is of course (to be pedantic) *dual* booting....

Cheers,

Cliff

Troglodyte 11-03-2004 10:42 AM

Enkidu wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 10:49:50 +1300, Troglodyte <nth@orcon.net.nz>
> wrote:
>
>>scuse typos. Im too piised off with it.
>>

> I love typos! Especially such serendipitous ones as your one about
> "duel" booting! Sounds like your OSes are fighting to get booted...
> That'd be about right for Linux and Windows.
>
> It is of course (to be pedantic) *dual* booting....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

HEH HEH. LMAO. duel dual. You're right. lol