Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Xtra's new plans (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572710-xtras-new-plans.html)

Mrs Beeble Brock 10-27-2004 10:33 PM

Xtra's new plans
 
So what are other Jetstream users going to do? Status quo or change plans?

I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
Xtra's hands?

Chris Hope 10-27-2004 10:40 PM

Re: Xtra's new plans
 
Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

> So what are other Jetstream users going to do? Status quo or change plans?
>
> I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
> gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
> Xtra's hands?


I changed from the 10GB 256k plan to the 10GB 2mb plan. It was upgraded
yesterday morning sometime before 4am. I also hate the idea of being
dropped to 64k; if it was to 256k I would be perfectly happy.

I'm considering either changing to the Orcon 256k flat rate (which features
no drop in bandwidth) or seeing about setting them up as a second plan (if
this is possible) to fall back on so I can take advantage of high speed
during the day (Telecom) and unlimited downloads overnight (Orcon), which
is when I tend to pull most of my traffic down. The speed of the overnight
stuff doesn't concern me particularly as it's mainly for a remote backup
system.

--
Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

Mrs Beeble Brock 10-27-2004 10:47 PM

Re: Xtra's new plans
 
Mmm. You're lucky to be in an area with a choice of providers. Jetstream
is, to my knowledge, the only dsl provier in Queenstown. But I guess I
could be using dialup over night for downloading - then again the
electricity costs from leaving the PC on permanently would probably
outweigh the savings on Jetstream.

I had previously been on the 500 meg 200mps plan but swapped to a plan
with slower speed and higher volume - never really noticed the speed
difference to be honest but I can understand others would.

Chris Hope wrote:
> Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
>
>
>>So what are other Jetstream users going to do? Status quo or change plans?
>>
>>I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
>>gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
>>Xtra's hands?

>
>
> I changed from the 10GB 256k plan to the 10GB 2mb plan. It was upgraded
> yesterday morning sometime before 4am. I also hate the idea of being
> dropped to 64k; if it was to 256k I would be perfectly happy.
>
> I'm considering either changing to the Orcon 256k flat rate (which features
> no drop in bandwidth) or seeing about setting them up as a second plan (if
> this is possible) to fall back on so I can take advantage of high speed
> during the day (Telecom) and unlimited downloads overnight (Orcon), which
> is when I tend to pull most of my traffic down. The speed of the overnight
> stuff doesn't concern me particularly as it's mainly for a remote backup
> system.
>


Chris Hope 10-27-2004 11:02 PM

Re: Xtra's new plans
 
Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

>>>So what are other Jetstream users going to do? Status quo or change
>>>plans?
>>>
>>>I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
>>>gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
>>>Xtra's hands?

>>
>>
>> I changed from the 10GB 256k plan to the 10GB 2mb plan. It was upgraded
>> yesterday morning sometime before 4am. I also hate the idea of being
>> dropped to 64k; if it was to 256k I would be perfectly happy.
>>
>> I'm considering either changing to the Orcon 256k flat rate (which
>> features no drop in bandwidth) or seeing about setting them up as a
>> second plan (if this is possible) to fall back on so I can take advantage
>> of high speed during the day (Telecom) and unlimited downloads overnight
>> (Orcon), which is when I tend to pull most of my traffic down. The speed
>> of the overnight stuff doesn't concern me particularly as it's mainly for
>> a remote backup system.
>>

> Mmm. You're lucky to be in an area with a choice of providers. Jetstream
> is, to my knowledge, the only dsl provier in Queenstown. But I guess I
> could be using dialup over night for downloading - then again the
> electricity costs from leaving the PC on permanently would probably
> outweigh the savings on Jetstream.
>
> I had previously been on the 500 meg 200mps plan but swapped to a plan
> with slower speed and higher volume - never really noticed the speed
> difference to be honest but I can understand others would.


I can't see why you wouldn't be able to get an Orcon account just because
you're in Queenstown. You should give them a call on 0508 467 266 and find
out.

You get 256k with no cap for $49.95 per month. You only pay Orcon so there
won't be anything additional on your Telecom bill for Jetstream.

More info at http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/

I've never actually used them so can't comment on their service as an ISP,
but from my experience of various ISPs they're pretty much all the same and
all go through their ups and downs.

--
Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-27-2004 11:09 PM

Re: Xtra's new plans
 
Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
> Mmm. You're lucky to be in an area with a choice of providers. Jetstream
> is, to my knowledge, the only dsl provier in Queenstown.


Telecom is the only DSL provider anywhere, but they now wholesale it to
a number of other ISP's, which means you can change if you wish.

There is also wireless in queenstown depending on where you are.... if
you can see "the gleeb", then you can probably see the antenna

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz

Collector_NZ 10-27-2004 11:24 PM

Re: Xtra's new plans
 
Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 28/10/2004 11:33:
> So what are other Jetstream users going to do? Status quo or change plans?
>
> I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
> gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
> Xtra's hands?


Using Xtra full stop is playing into thier hands

--
He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
================================================== ====================
Local 40.9000S, 174.9830E | |
================================================== ====================
First rule of electronics: Keep the smoke inside!

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-27-2004 11:48 PM

Re: Xtra's new plans
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> There is also wireless in queenstown depending on where you are.... if
> you can see "the gleeb", then you can probably see the antenna


looking through my address book...
Name: ap1.qtn1.synaptic.net.nz
Address: 202.150.101.188

my address book looks a bit odd these days :/

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz

Gordon 10-28-2004 04:22 AM

Re: Xtra's new plans
 
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:33:59 +1300, Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

> So what are other Jetstream users going to do? Status quo or change plans?
>
> I hate the idea of having my speed dropped to 64kbs when I go over 1
> gig, so I'll probably upgrade to a 3 gig plan. Is this playing into
> Xtra's hands?


No, they are offering you a range of services. As in, Would you like and
extra 2GB with that?

Zoom, out and see how Telecom, is having problems getting onto the level
playing field. That is more important.


Gordon 10-28-2004 04:26 AM

Re: Xtra's new plans
 
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:40:16 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

> I changed from the 10GB 256k plan to the 10GB 2mb plan. It was upgraded
> yesterday morning sometime before 4am. I also hate the idea of being
> dropped to 64k; if it was to 256k I would be perfectly happy.


You are on the hook, your wallet is about to be reeled in.

To me, the faster the connection, the higher, if any the cap needs to be.

WTF is the point is having a sports car, just to be given 10 liters of
fuel for the month?

The choice is yours, not mine.


ruskelly@yahoo.com 10-28-2004 05:38 AM

Re: Xtra's new plans
 
I live in Auckland. I was happy to receive word from Telecom (NZ) that
my Ihug/Jetstream 256/128 unlimited plan ($59.95+$10/month) is to be
upgraded to 2mb at no extra cost from November or December. I noted
that the new 2mb plan would have a 10gb monthly limit.

My usage typically is 2-2.5gb/month but when I checked last week I see
that my usage in July had jumped to 6gb+ and 9gb+ in August. For the
first 7 days of the current period (Sept/Oct) it is already 3gb+ ... so
heading for 12gb this month.

The puzzle is this: as far as I can determine, our pattern of usage has
not changed. We are not using the internet more than usual and we are
not downloading large files ... or any more than in the past.

I wonder whether any other Telecom customers have had a similar
experience?

I am just a little suspicious that Telecom is playing some kind of game
in advance of the Jetstream new plan.

Rusky



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.