Velocity Reviews

-   -   usb keyboard question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572661-usb-keyboard-question.html)

Peter Huebner 10-25-2004 08:19 AM

usb keyboard question

Chap brought a machine in today, with a poked keyboard ps/2 socket. Mobo
is an Asus cusi-m. Seems a shame to biff it ... I am thinking whether we
could either plug in a usb keyboard or an adapter ps/2 female to usb
male to get his machine going again.
Does anybody know if that would be feasible, especially if the usb
keyboard would need to be turned on from bios (!!! impossible!!!) or if
it would autodetect.
I've simply never run into this problem before. :-/

-Peter

--
***************
direct replies to peters[underscore]spambot[at]

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-25-2004 08:24 AM

Re: usb keyboard question

Peter Huebner wrote:

> Chap brought a machine in today, with a poked keyboard ps/2 socket. Mobo
> is an Asus cusi-m. Seems a shame to biff it ... I am thinking whether we
> could either plug in a usb keyboard or an adapter ps/2 female to usb
> male to get his machine going again.
> Does anybody know if that would be feasible, especially if the usb
> keyboard would need to be turned on from bios (!!! impossible!!!) or if
> it would autodetect.
> I've simply never run into this problem before. :-/

it may be fine... assuming that it already has an OS installed, you
could probably boot to it, download a util to check bios settings and
change it from there.

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is dave@the.domain.above

nick 10-25-2004 09:20 AM

Re: usb keyboard question

"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
news:MPG.1be77e3d3c519e0d98980f@news.nzl.ihugultra .co.nz...

> Chap brought a machine in today, with a poked keyboard ps/2 socket. Mobo
> is an Asus cusi-m. Seems a shame to biff it ... I am thinking whether we
> could either plug in a usb keyboard or an adapter ps/2 female to usb
> male to get his machine going again.
> Does anybody know if that would be feasible, especially if the usb
> keyboard would need to be turned on from bios (!!! impossible!!!) or if
> it would autodetect.
> I've simply never run into this problem before. :-/
>
> -Peter

I have a USB keyboard, and the bios detects it, I can hit delete during the
POST and change bios settings boot devices etc
The only time it doesn't work is during the linux bootloader, but for a
single OS it doesn't matter.

Peter Huebner 10-26-2004 01:04 AM

Re: usb keyboard question - followup

Well I actually went and booted the thing up. No probs with the ps/2
keyboard, I used two different ones and they both worked fine. Go
figure. Alas, after a couple of minutes, the computer seemed to receive
mouse clicks all over the show, then the mouse shut down and now I can
no longer get any mouse to work at all. Tried serial mouse, two ps/2
mice - no joy.
It's danmed old WinME. I tried to boot into a command shell from a
floppy and suddenly the virus checker went off claiming there is a virus
on my boot floppy (NOT!), then claiming the MBR had been changed and
there is now a virus on the HDD BootBlock. <sigh>.

I am starting to wonder if the thing had a virus before it came to me,
or if the kid had keyboard and mouse plugs reversed, and the mouse port
is the one that's poked and now stops the comp from seeing any mouse at
all.

<scratches head>

-Peter
--
***************

wogers nemesis 10-26-2004 01:57 AM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:04:19 +1300, Peter Huebner wrote:

> Well I actually went and booted the thing up. No probs with the ps/2
> keyboard, I used two different ones and they both worked fine. Go
> figure. Alas, after a couple of minutes, the computer seemed to receive
> mouse clicks all over the show, then the mouse shut down and now I can
> no longer get any mouse to work at all. Tried serial mouse, two ps/2
> mice - no joy.

Heh so now you can try a USB mouse then ..
Maybe the mouse driver got screwed - I'd test it out with Knoppix to see.

> It's danmed old WinME. I tried to boot into a command shell from a
> floppy and suddenly the virus checker went off claiming there is a virus
> on my boot floppy (NOT!), then claiming the MBR had been changed and
> there is now a virus on the HDD BootBlock. <sigh>.
>
> I am starting to wonder if the thing had a virus before it came to me,
> or if the kid had keyboard and mouse plugs reversed, and the mouse port
> is the one that's poked and now stops the comp from seeing any mouse at
> all.
>
> <scratches head>
>
> -Peter

I've plugged them around the wrong way before (amd most people are clueless
that you have to have them in the right ports ;-) ). But this has never
destroyed a port - although I wouldn't have done it with the machine
powered on.