Velocity Reviews

-   -   Recommendation for Dual head video card (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572614-recommendation-for-dual-head-video-card.html)

Neal Phillips 10-21-2004 11:52 PM

Recommendation for Dual head video card

I need to install a dual head video card for some development work I'm
doing.
I really don't want to spend a fortune. This is a one off project.
The project is simple business software running under Windows. I don't play
games so I don't need very high specs.
Any recommendations please?
TIA
Neal

Daniel 10-22-2004 12:09 AM

Re: Recommendation for Dual head video card

Neal Phillips wrote:

> I need to install a dual head video card for some development work I'm
> doing.
> I really don't want to spend a fortune. This is a one off project.
> The project is simple business software running under Windows. I don't play
> games so I don't need very high specs.
> Any recommendations please?
> TIA
> Neal

Albatron FX5200EP 128MB card (VGA + DVI + TV/out). Has dual 350MHz DACs, and
image quality is good (I've tried one). Plus, has no annoying fan, but, the
heatsink is fairly serious for this type of card (so make sure you haven't
got any components - like a front-panel audio connectors for instance, hovering
right where the heatsink sticks out).

$129.67 from Ascent (www.ascent.co.nz).

Doesn't sell with a DVI->VGA adapter, so you need to buy that separate.

Cheers,

Daniel 10-22-2004 12:21 AM

Daniel wrote:
> Neal Phillips wrote:
>
> Albatron FX5200EP 128MB card (VGA + DVI + TV/out). Has dual 350MHz DACs,
> and
> image quality is good (I've tried one). Plus, has no annoying fan, but, the
> heatsink is fairly serious for this type of card (so make sure you haven't
> got any components - like a front-panel audio connectors for instance,
> hovering
> right where the heatsink sticks out).
>
> $129.67 from Ascent (www.ascent.co.nz).
>
> Doesn't sell with a DVI->VGA adapter, so you need to buy that separate.
>
> Cheers,

Now that my "pricespy" is finally working, looks like a dual-head FX5200
from Super Cheap Computers is selling for $88.82.

Daniel 10-22-2004 12:37 AM

Daniel wrote:

> Neal Phillips wrote:
>
> Albatron FX5200EP 128MB card (VGA + DVI + TV/out). Has dual 350MHz DACs,
> and
> image quality is good (I've tried one). Plus, has no annoying fan, but, the
> heatsink is fairly serious for this type of card (so make sure you haven't
> got any components - like a front-panel audio connectors for instance,
> hovering
> right where the heatsink sticks out).
>
> $129.67 from Ascent (www.ascent.co.nz).
>
> Doesn't sell with a DVI->VGA adapter, so you need to buy that separate.
>
> Cheers,

Now, I remember why I purchased that card.

It's got 3 year warranty!

Neal Phillips 10-22-2004 12:57 AM

Re: Recommendation for Dual head video card

Daniel
Many thanks for all that.
Cheers
Neal

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-22-2004 01:19 AM

Neal Phillips wrote:

> I need to install a dual head video card for some development work I'm
> doing.
> I really don't want to spend a fortune. This is a one off project.
> The project is simple business software running under Windows. I don't play
> games so I don't need very high specs.
> Any recommendations please?

I have a matrox G450 16MB that I was going to sell in here(limited
audience for it elsewhere).
anyone know what they're worth?

although a lot of the cheaper cards do it just as good these days.

Nvidia GF5200 or something similar would probably be fine.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Matthias 10-22-2004 01:47 AM

Neal Phillips wrote:

> I need to install a dual head video card for some development work I'm
> doing.
> I really don't want to spend a fortune. This is a one off project.
> The project is simple business software running under Windows. I don't play
> games so I don't need very high specs.
> Any recommendations please?

Matrox. You should be able to get a used G450 reasonably cheaply.

-- Matthias

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-22-2004 01:53 AM

Matthias wrote:
>> I need to install a dual head video card for some development work I'm
>> doing.
>> Any recommendations please?

> Matrox. You should be able to get a used G450 reasonably cheaply.

heh, see my post.
lovely graphics quality, hence why I've kept it.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

bAZZ 10-25-2004 01:04 AM

Re: Recommendation for Dual head video card

In article <2tr7h0F21aghbU1@uni-berlin.de>, davenetnz@gmail.com says...
> Matthias wrote:
> >> I need to install a dual head video card for some development work I'm
> >> doing.
> >> Any recommendations please?

> > Matrox. You should be able to get a used G450 reasonably cheaply.

> heh, see my post.
> lovely graphics quality, hence why I've kept it.

Don't those do fixed freq too ? If so a damn fine card.
bAZZ..>>

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-25-2004 07:04 AM

bAZZ wrote:
>>>Matrox. You should be able to get a used G450 reasonably cheaply.

>>lovely graphics quality, hence why I've kept it.

> Don't those do fixed freq too ? If so a damn fine card.

fixed frequency?
as in h-sync?

--
Dave.net.nz