Velocity Reviews

-   -   newsfeeds.com service (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t572552-newsfeeds-com-service.html)

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-18-2004 09:15 PM

newsfeeds.com service

I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
orcon users posts.

"Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure"

Unlimited?
http://www.newsfeeds.com/outsource.htm says " Each IP is limited to 350
MB/day/server"
and from here,
http://www.newsfeeds.com/faq.htm
"There is also a simultaneous connection limit of three streams per
server per member."

Uncensored?
well, would we know? seriously, they dont seem to censor things,
although there are always rumours.

"Total Privacy via Encryption"
What encryption?

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Chris Mayhew 10-18-2004 10:27 PM

Re: newsfeeds.com service

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
> orcon users posts.
>
> "Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure"
>
> Unlimited?
> http://www.newsfeeds.com/outsource.htm says " Each IP is limited to 350
> MB/day/server"
> and from here,
> http://www.newsfeeds.com/faq.htm
> "There is also a simultaneous connection limit of three streams per
> server per member."
>
> Uncensored?
> well, would we know? seriously, they dont seem to censor things,
> although there are always rumours.
>
> "Total Privacy via Encryption"
> What encryption?

Maybe they outsource to the Telecom marketing department ?

DoggNZ 10-18-2004 11:25 PM

Re: newsfeeds.com service

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:15:09 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<davenetnz@gmail.com> wrote:

>I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
>orcon users posts.
>
>"Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure"
>
>Unlimited?
>http://www.newsfeeds.com/outsource.htm says " Each IP is limited to 350
>MB/day/server"
>and from here,
>http://www.newsfeeds.com/faq.htm
>"There is also a simultaneous connection limit of three streams per
>server per member."
>
>Uncensored?
>well, would we know? seriously, they dont seem to censor things,
>although there are always rumours.
>
>"Total Privacy via Encryption"
>What encryption?

Didn't someone in here say they're supposed to be canning that? I
seldom post from home (Where I have Orcon ADSL) so I'd forgotten all
about that stupid tagline.

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

Patrick Dunford 10-18-2004 11:43 PM

Re: newsfeeds.com service

In article <2tiq2uF1p8r47U1@uni-berlin.de> in nz.comp on Tue, 19 Oct 2004
10:15:09 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <davenetnz@gmail.com> says...
> I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
> orcon users posts.
>
> "Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure"
>
> Unlimited?
> http://www.newsfeeds.com/outsource.htm says " Each IP is limited to 350
> MB/day/server"
> and from here,
> http://www.newsfeeds.com/faq.htm
> "There is also a simultaneous connection limit of three streams per
> server per member."
>
> Uncensored?
> well, would we know? seriously, they dont seem to censor things,
> although there are always rumours.
>
> "Total Privacy via Encryption"
> What encryption?

Obviously the banner is appended to all the messages regardless of their
origin and refer to options that depend on the package selected by the
customer.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-19-2004 12:13 AM

Re: newsfeeds.com service

DoggNZ wrote:
>>I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
>>orcon users posts.

*snip*

> Didn't someone in here say they're supposed to be canning that?

yep, an orcon rep no less.

> seldom post from home (Where I have Orcon ADSL) so I'd forgotten all
> about that stupid tagline.

well it is still there.

I was thinking about how they say about the low number of users there
were using the orcon nntp server, and I thought... hmmmm, I wonder how
many use news.individual.net as i personally know of 8 Orcon customers
who use it, because they found orcons service so bad.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

Collector_NZ 10-19-2004 12:26 AM

Re: newsfeeds.com service

Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 19/10/2004 13:13:
> DoggNZ wrote:
>
>>> I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
>>> orcon users posts.

> *snip*
>
>> Didn't someone in here say they're supposed to be canning that?

> yep, an orcon rep no less.

>> seldom post from home (Where I have Orcon ADSL) so I'd forgotten all
>> about that stupid tagline.

> well it is still there.
>
> I was thinking about how they say about the low number of users there
> were using the orcon nntp server, and I thought... hmmmm, I wonder how
> many use news.individual.net as i personally know of 8 Orcon customers
> who use it, because they found orcons service so bad.

What only 8 of us :-)

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-19-2004 12:35 AM

Re: newsfeeds.com service

Collector_NZ wrote:
>> I was thinking about how they say about the low number of users there
>> were using the orcon nntp server, and I thought... hmmmm, I wonder how
>> many use news.individual.net as i personally know of 8 Orcon customers
>> who use it, because they found orcons service so bad.

> What only 8 of us :-)

I dont check the headers of your posts... I meant personally, as in real
world friends :)

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz

~misfit~ 10-19-2004 12:59 AM

Re: newsfeeds.com service

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> DoggNZ wrote:
>>> I just noticed something interesting about the tagline added to the
>>> orcon users posts.

> *snip*
>
>> Didn't someone in here say they're supposed to be canning that?

> yep, an orcon rep no less.

>> seldom post from home (Where I have Orcon ADSL) so I'd forgotten all
>> about that stupid tagline.

> well it is still there.
>
> I was thinking about how they say about the low number of users there
> were using the orcon nntp server, and I thought... hmmmm, I wonder how
> many use news.individual.net as i personally know of 8 Orcon customers
> who use it, because they found orcons service so bad.

I hope I'm in that 8. If not include me.
--
~misfit~

Brendan 10-19-2004 02:23 AM

Re: newsfeeds.com service

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:27:44 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:

I'm getting bloody tired of their adverts on the end of each post too.

--

.... Brendan

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
Arthur C. Clarke

Note: All my comments are copyright 19/10/2004 12:11:55 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Dave - Dave.net.nz 10-19-2004 03:05 AM

Re: newsfeeds.com service

Brendan wrote:
> I'm getting bloody tired of their adverts on the end of each post too.

the worst thing about them is that it makes it look like you are
recommending them yourself.

check out your last post for an example.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz